Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Educator
Clubs

“Alexa, play Amazon Music/Spotify/iHeart
Radio/Deezer/Kindle/Audible/TuneIn/Pandora/SiriusXM."

Has anyone had success getting Alexa to play anything but Amazon Music?

Or open/close garage door?
yessssss! Id really like it to be able to open/close the garage door
Sponsored

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

yessssss! Id really like it to be able to open/close the garage door
I do this with an Alexa shortcut that controls my smart garage door opener.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My most used commands by far are:
"Alexa, Disarm the office" - Total Connect
"Alexa, Arm office away" - Total Connect
"Alexa, Run office away" - Smartthings scene. Turn off lights and arm.
"Alexa, Run office lights off" - Smartthings scene
"Alexa, Run exterior lights off" - Smartthings scene
"Alexa, Run exterior lights on" - Smartthings scene
Just depends what I want to do.

I have these commands set up for over 15 locations which each have Total Connect and Smartthings hub. "Alexa, Disarm 'Location X" -- I generally run it while I am pulling into the location. Don't have to deal with the countdown when entering.

Also have light commands setup for every location which control smartthings relays that go to contactors. Use these on a regular basis as well to light up the lot and building lights when approaching the location and also to check all lighting is working correctly. These are commercial properties. Generally I will do a pull around on way out to check everything is functioning correctly and then run the off commands as I pull out. It's seamless.

If you have MyQ for your garage door, check some of the options here. I haven't tested as our garage is minivan/kid toys. I don't get garage space.
https://www.smarthomeperfected.com/myq-alexa/

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

I have these commands set up for over 15 locations which each have Total Connect and Smartthings hub. "Alexa, Disarm 'Location X" -- I generally run it while I am pulling into the location. Don't have to deal with the countdown when entering.

Also have light commands setup for every location which control smartthings relays that go to contactors. Use these on a regular basis as well to light up the lot and building lights when approaching the location and also to check all lighting is working correctly. These are commercial properties. Generally I will do a pull around on way out to check everything is functioning correctly and then run the off commands as I pull out. It's seamless.

If you have MyQ for your garage door, check some of the options here. I haven't tested as our garage is minivan/kid toys. I don't get garage space.
I don't want to hijack this thread but, in general, allowing voice assistants to open or disarm anything is a bad idea...
It may save you a few seconds, but someone yelling through the window (or using a laser from 100 yards away) to disarm an alarm is a risk worth thinking about.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don't want to hijack this thread but, in general, allowing voice assistants to open or disarm anything is a bad idea...
It may save you a few seconds, but someone yelling through the window (or using a laser from 100 yards away) to disarm an alarm is a risk worth thinking about.
Disarm commands require a prompt pin code. I would disable the pin if it was possible. I'm not worried about it and don't think my properties are the target for an oceans 11 heist.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
... and, have you personally tried to do this with your Rivian? Shouting at the vehicle from outside doesn't work.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Disarm commands require a prompt pin code. I would disable the pin if it was possible. I'm not worried about it and don't think my properties are the target for an oceans 11 heist.
Alright. You do you.
Yes. Friggin lasers...
Light Commands
... and, have you personally tried to do this with your Rivian? Shouting at the vehicle from outside doesn't work.
If the truck is still awake then, yes, this does work. But the bigger issue would be your home smart speakers placed near windows.

Myricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Would be great if you could use Alexa to fold the mirrors. That and "pressing" my garage door button without having to buy a new MyQ or additional garage door opener would be great. I just need it to press the electronic button!
Yes, please enable Alexa to fold and unfold the mirrors

Myricky

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

could you say more about how you enabled this functionality?

When I go to my smartthings app it doesn’t recognize Rivian as a device it works with. Same with Alexa app.

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I do this with an Alexa shortcut that controls my smart garage door opener.
Can you elaborate? I have myq controller for both garage And rolling gate. Can Alexa do that? I tried Alexa open the gate and the lift gate opened. Haha

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Can you elaborate? I have myq controller for both garage And rolling gate. Can Alexa do that? I tried Alexa open the gate and the lift gate opened. Haha
There are possibly some steps missing since I did this a couple of years back. I will preface this with I have an iPhone, so anything I do remember correctly is all based around that.
  1. Get the LiveKey app for your phone and create an account.
  2. You can link your MyQ account to your LiveKey app.
    1. This will allow you to see/manage your garage door from the LiveKey app. This is handy, but really no better than using the MyQ app. That's not what we're here for.
  3. Confirm that you can view the status of, and control your garage door from the LiveKey app.
  4. From the Alexa app (on my phone) I added the Kloee for SC skill.
    1. LiveKey used to be SimpleCommands, so that's why it's kind of a weird integration.
  5. When you enable the Kloee for SC skill, put in your LiveKey credentials.
  6. Go back to the LiveKey app and on the garage door item, there should be a "Automations" button.
  7. Tap the "Automations" button, which should bring up a new page with a "Manage Automations" button
  8. Tap the "Manage Automations" button to bring up a menu.
  9. Choose "Alexa Actions" from the menu
  10. On the "Alexa Control" page, tap "Enable Alexa Control." This will make your garage door controls (open, close, and status) available to Alexa.
  11. Go back to the Alexa app, and under "Devices," locate the "Scenes" tab.
  12. On the "Scenes" page, scroll to the bottom and tap the "Discover Scenes" button. It may take some time, but it should find the three new scenes made available from the LiveKey app.
  13. Once the Scenes have been discovered, switch to "Routines."
  14. Create a new routine (and repeat for each scene):
    1. Tap the "+" to create a new routine.
    2. Give it a Name.
    3. Give it a command phrase.
    4. Add an Action.
    5. Choose "Smart Home."
    6. Choose "Scenes."
    7. Choose the appropriate scene for the action.
    8. Tap "Add"
    9. Tap the < at the top of the screen and that will save the routine.
  15. These routines are available from your Rivian, so after all of that (and yes, it's a lot), you can now ask Alexa to run those routines at will.
That was longer than I remember, but I've been using it since well before I had my Rivian, and it works just as well in the Rivian as it works on my Echo devices around the house.

I hope that all makes sense and you can get it working as well. Good luck!

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
There are possibly some steps missing since I did this a couple of years back. I will preface this with I have an iPhone, so anything I do remember correctly is all based around that.
  1. Get the LiveKey app for your phone and create an account.
  2. You can link your MyQ account to your LiveKey app.
    1. This will allow you to see/manage your garage door from the LiveKey app. This is handy, but really no better than using the MyQ app. That's not what we're here for.
  3. Confirm that you can view the status of, and control your garage door from the LiveKey app.
  4. From the Alexa app (on my phone) I added the Kloee for SC skill.
    1. LiveKey used to be SimpleCommands, so that's why it's kind of a weird integration.
  5. When you enable the Kloee for SC skill, put in your LiveKey credentials.
  6. Go back to the LiveKey app and on the garage door item, there should be a "Automations" button.
  7. Tap the "Automations" button, which should bring up a new page with a "Manage Automations" button
  8. Tap the "Manage Automations" button to bring up a menu.
  9. Choose "Alexa Actions" from the menu
  10. On the "Alexa Control" page, tap "Enable Alexa Control." This will make your garage door controls (open, close, and status) available to Alexa.
  11. Go back to the Alexa app, and under "Devices," locate the "Scenes" tab.
  12. On the "Scenes" page, scroll to the bottom and tap the "Discover Scenes" button. It may take some time, but it should find the three new scenes made available from the LiveKey app.
  13. Once the Scenes have been discovered, switch to "Routines."
  14. Create a new routine (and repeat for each scene):
    1. Tap the "+" to create a new routine.
    2. Give it a Name.
    3. Give it a command phrase.
    4. Add an Action.
    5. Choose "Smart Home."
    6. Choose "Scenes."
    7. Choose the appropriate scene for the action.
    8. Tap "Add"
    9. Tap the < at the top of the screen and that will save the routine.
  15. These routines are available from your Rivian, so after all of that (and yes, it's a lot), you can now ask Alexa to run those routines at will.
That was longer than I remember, but I've been using it since well before I had my Rivian, and it works just as well in the Rivian as it works on my Echo devices around the house.

I hope that all makes sense and you can get it working as well. Good luck!
thank you !

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
could you say more about how you enabled this functionality?

When I go to my smartthings app it doesn’t recognize Rivian as a device it works with. Same with Alexa app.
In the Alexa app, go to "devices", scroll down to and click "your smart home skills", "enable smart home skills", add "smartthings". Link the accounts. Then create a scene in smartthings and it should automatically add it to alexa.
Sponsored