First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Not too concerning. This could have even been planned when they hired on. Some people love the thrill of the startup but hate day to day operations. I’ve seen this scenario at several of my customers factories. One of my customers is one of the largest food manufacturers in the world. They have an operations management team that starts up a new factory and moves on once certain objectives are met, handing off to the permanent management team they trained.
Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
This is also old news; though her first public comments on where she’s going. We learned about her departure during the last big staff shakeup

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Ford is just as bad, and arguably even much worse, than Rivian when it comes to communication. Spend some time on the Mach E and Lightning forums…lots of frustrated customers there too. Communication is seriously one of the easiest things a company can do to maintain a good relationship with consumers, yet so many choose not to.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

hate to say it but this could be a good thing. as we all know Rivian comms has mostly been a joke. though im not sure if that falls on her or Tony.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

who?!?!

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
I don’t know Amy but a lot of early Rivian employees seems to really like her. Although I think this turnover is normal for a private to public company, I believe she will be missed and appreciate all her work in building the brand. Wish her the best

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

I’m personally shocked they even had a communications director. This is not a strength for the company. Pretty sure they can improve with better leadership.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Ford is just as bad, and arguably even much worse, than Rivian when it comes to communication. Spend some time on the Mach E and Lightning forums…lots of frustrated customers there too. Communication is seriously one of the easiest things a company can do to maintain a good relationship with consumers, yet so many choose not to.
If anyone can tell me anything about my Cadillac Lyric Delayed Edition that was supposed to begin deliveries in Spring 2022 I would appreciate it. I need to cancel that, some start up from Illinois managed to deliver before GM, despite GM getting my reservation earlier.

Sponsored

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

I've got a good little bit of experience in the startup and tech space, and this isn't really weird through that lens. You need different skillsets for different phases of growth, and existing folks don't always grow into those redefined roles, or even want them.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown comparing leadership 'attrition' across different companies/sectors/verticals/whatever. Maybe a fun data project for someone with a lot of free time...

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I don’t find this concerning.

I‘m certainly no expert, but my impression is that Rivian’s greatest apparent weakness as a company is in communication/messaging and customer engagement.

The forums are full of people basically trying to parse equivocal messages and reading tea leaves.

When they do send a message, they’re as likely as not to step on a (figurative) rake and smack themselves in the face.

If they didn’t already have people in these positions, as an outsider I’d suggest they hire someone to manage communication and customer engagement.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
What about Tony "bad news" guy? He should be moving too.

Reactions: Guy

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Last year was Rivians first real year dealing with customers, product issues, deliveries, etc and I think that is to blame for all of the moves. RJ and team had to take an objective and critical look at where they were strong and where they could improve.

I'm not blaming this person individually for bad communications. I understand her title but let's be real, it's the executive team we should blame as they are the ones who ultimately try to disseminate or hide information from customers/the public. I also think Rivian is adjusting as they are going, realizing a lot of their plans aren't feasible and they are trying to not have to send a monthly update and completely change plans on customers again and again.

They will figure it out, I don't know, but I assume the learning curve is massive and isn't as easy as it sounds. (Though some communications seem like they should be pretty damn simple).

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Last year was Rivians first real year dealing with customers, product issues, deliveries, etc and I think that is to blame for all of the moves. RJ and team had to take an objective and critical look at where they were strong and where they could improve.

I'm not blaming this person individually for bad communications. I understand her title but let's be real, it's the executive team we should blame as they are the ones who ultimately try to disseminate or hide information from customers/the public. I also think Rivian is adjusting as they are going, realizing a lot of their plans aren't feasible and they are trying to not have to send a monthly update and completely change plans on customers again and again.

They will figure it out, I don't know, but I assume the learning curve is massive and isn't as easy as it sounds. (Though some communications seem like they should be pretty damn simple).
Completely agree - they are modifying their plans when reality hits such as with membership, outposts and preserves, hubs, RAN rollout, home delivery and pickup for warranty claims. They had laudable goals and not that surprising things change.
Sponsored