Sponsored

Any idea why I can't turn on my 120V AC outlets?

OP
OP
Redmond Chad

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

Blown fuse in the inverter circuit?
Thanks for the idea...but it appears that is not the problem. The fuse appeared fine, and replacing it with a spare didn't help.

So perhaps I have a bad inverter. Who knows when Rivian might decide to get around to looking at it. We thought these outlets would be handy on camping trips, but I guess not for a while at least.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Thanks for the idea...but it appears that is not the problem. The fuse appeared fine, and replacing it with a spare didn't help.

So perhaps I have a bad inverter. Who knows when Rivian might decide to get around to looking at it. We thought these outlets would be handy on camping trips, but I guess not for a while at least.
Sorry it wasn't the fuse, but at least you now know you won't be wasting a lot of time and effort to a SC for a simple blown fuse.

Not to start a whole Tesla hate war.. but this is one area Tesla has clear leadership.. no fuses in Tesla vehicles!

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Thanks! Unlike every other ICE vehicle, it's not listed in the Rivian User Guide.
The current manual is a joke, it's almost useless as-is.

Try looking up "cabin air filter" or even just "filter"... :mad:

The manual covers about 30% of the vehicle at this time.... it's the worst owner's manual I've ever seen with no info on even the basic consumable items that need to be replaced on even electric vehicles.

VermontR1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Watching this as I just went to use my outlets for the first time today and I had the same experience.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redmond Chad

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Recap: I submitted a ticket on June 17 saying that my 120V outlets won't turn on. No error message, but neither one works, and the car says they are off immediately after I ask to turn them on. The battery had plenty of juice, rebooting the car didn't help, trying both the Energy and Camping apps didn't help, replacing the fuse didn't help.

Rivian corporate called me on June 24 to make sure it was still happening, and to ask me to try rebooting again. They said my local service center would call me on June 25th or 26th to set an appointment.

Another month has passed, and I haven't heard anything from the service center. My wife left on a camping trip this morning; we discovered that the 12V outlets don't work either! (So maybe the problem is even more basic than the inverter?)

There is a lot I really like about the R1S, but it is not turning out to be as great of a camping vehicle as we had hoped it would be this summer.

GSGun

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
I dropped off my R1S last week for power outlets and PaaK issue. They called and said there is a short in the main body harness that needs to be replaced. I thought it would be a fuse or bad inverter. SC said they'll know more end of this week for a return date. Loaner given last week anyway and It's not a big deal.

OP
OP
Redmond Chad

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

It's great that you got a loaner...that sure makes issues like this a lot easier to take.

Of course, you have to get an appointment first...

I wonder how many panels they have to remove to replace the main body harness. May your technicians be both skilled and careful!

OP
OP
Redmond Chad

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

My appointment to have this problem (120V and 12V outlets not working) looked at is...Dec 13. 6 months after I reported the problem!

I had a perfectly good EV before the Rivian. Being able to use the outlets for camping and towing (we have a 12V rear-view camera) was part of why we traded in. I am not feeling it was such a smart move now.

GSGun

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
It's great that you got a loaner...that sure makes issues like this a lot easier to take.

Of course, you have to get an appointment first...

I wonder how many panels they have to remove to replace the main body harness. May your technicians be both skilled and careful!
Just got updated. They received the replacement harness today. However it's a 30 hour repair to install and make sure everything is working. SC said my R1S is dismantled and taking a large part of their bay which is motivating them to get the job done.

It's not a great feeling to have a major repair within 60 days of ownership. Rivian is motivated to do this right and hopefully this will be the last major issue.

OP
OP
Redmond Chad

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Recap: I got my R1S on June 8. On June 17 I tried to use my 120V outlets and...they wouldn't turn on. No error message; just nothing. I submitted a ticket, and 3 weeks later I created this thread.

It is now fixed. My issue was "damaged pin on HV harness". The fix was "Harness, HV, HVAC Heater - DC-AC Inverter, Lower (Remove and Replace)", which took 2.8 hours of labor.

The good news is, it's fixed. Dropping the car off and picking it up were both very easy, and the service advisor was very friendly. I got an EV (Hyundai Kona) rental - no hassles getting the car or dropping it off, either. And while they had the car, Rivian also took care of a couple of minor issues I had submitted a ticket for (but not bothered scheduling separate service for) the day I took delivery: two really tiny dents, and three misaligned plastic trim panels around the wheels wells and doors. Of course it was all under warranty, so no charge.

The bad news: the 120V outlets didn't work at delivery, it took 4.5 months to get an appointment, and 3 weeks to get it fixed - during which time there were no updates from the service center (I called corporate twice and they told me what they could). A new service center recently opened in the area, so I hope my service center will be less jammed and able to do better on these things.
Sponsored