Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I have tried to have the SC resolve my wind noise since day 1 of getting my truck 1 year ago. It’s taken away from enjoying the vehicle as it was turbulent and excessive at anything over 55 mph. Nothing worked to resolve it and SC didn’t do anything to help either (all within spec). I watched a few YouTube videos and posts about using rubber weather stripping tubing around the top of the vehicle. Rubber inserts along the roof rails, I taped up all the corner windows to see if it was them causing the noise.. nothing worked.

Recently I noticed the edge of the corner window plastic trim piece a few mm outboard of the left and right driver side doors (pic attached). I placed a small piece of leftover cylindrical weatherstrip into that lower plastic edge and BAM.. my wind noise is 90% gone. I thought it was a fluke. But have driven about 100 miles highway and with crosswinds near the coast and it’s much improved.

Up to this point the wind noise was so bad (and I’ve had a number of other issues with my truck come up) I was ready to get rid of the Rivian, not sure now as the ride is much more enjoyable when it’s quiet on the highway.

Pretty sure this is a build/ door alignment issue which is why some trucks are dead silent and others are super noisy. Hope it helps others, though I’ve realized not all solutions work for everyone.

Link from Amazon for weatherstrip 6mm

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Weath...6f2-4213-ae60-0b2ef7c770b8&pd_rd_i=B0B813RSPK

Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) IMG_1557

Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) IMG_1558
Sponsored

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I have the same color truck, and the same pattern and pavers in my driveway.

This caused me to do a triple take.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
I have the same color truck, and the same pattern and pavers in my driveway.

This caused me to do a triple take.
one hell of a service program, hiring people to come to your house and report/fix issues before you even know about them!

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
I need to try this. My Driver side wind noise is sometimes annoying, passenger side is dead silent.

Sponsored

beyond

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Occupation
The Cloud
I have tried to have the SC resolve my wind noise since day 1 of getting my truck 1 year ago. It’s taken away from enjoying the vehicle as it was turbulent and excessive at anything over 55 mph. Nothing worked to resolve it and SC didn’t do anything to help either (all within spec). I watched a few YouTube videos and posts about using rubber weather stripping tubing around the top of the vehicle. Rubber inserts along the roof rails, I taped up all the corner windows to see if it was them causing the noise.. nothing worked.

Recently I noticed the edge of the corner window plastic trim piece a few mm outboard of the left and right driver side doors (pic attached). I placed a small piece of leftover cylindrical weatherstrip into that lower plastic edge and BAM.. my wind noise is 90% gone. I thought it was a fluke. But have driven about 100 miles highway and with crosswinds near the coast and it’s much improved.

Up to this point the wind noise was so bad (and I’ve had a number of other issues with my truck come up) I was ready to get rid of the Rivian, not sure now as the ride is much more enjoyable when it’s quiet on the highway.

Pretty sure this is a build/ door alignment issue which is why some trucks are dead silent and others are super noisy. Hope it helps others, though I’ve realized not all solutions work for everyone.

Link from Amazon for weatherstrip 6mm

https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Weather-Stripping-Tubing-Closed/dp/B0B813RSPK/ref=pd_aw_ci_mcx_mh_mcx_views_0?pd_rd_w=bRf9b&content-id=amzn1.sym.0e5c7f8b-153f-45ea-a1fd-9585fc3a0cd5:amzn1.symc.2b06b7e8-a86c-4e6e-b02c-90d58278f4f1&pf_rd_p=0e5c7f8b-153f-45ea-a1fd-9585fc3a0cd5&pf_rd_r=ME2MH065D0015EQEMYJV&pd_rd_wg=bGTWU&pd_rd_r=aeee0098-e6f2-4213-ae60-0b2ef7c770b8&pd_rd_i=B0B813RSPK

IMG_1557.jpeg

IMG_1558.jpeg

not at my truck so cannot really compare; but can you back up and take a wider shot to show what piece of trim?

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
not at my truck so cannot really compare; but can you back up and take a wider shot to show what piece of trim?
+1.

Can you take a wider shot please? This sounds promising. Cheers

Sponsored

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
OK, I see it now.

I feel like the wind noise comes from higher up on the driver's window but frankly I think this is worth a shot. I've ordered.

Will report back.

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
At what speed do you guys notice wind noice? I've found my R1S fairly silent till ~50-55 and then the wind noise picks up.
Yes around 50+ mph. This helped a lot for me

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
+1.

Can you take a wider shot please? This sounds promising. Cheers
Hope this helps. Driver side sticks out more than passenger side. Not sure if this helped with passenger side noise as I haven’t sat there recently and my wife doesn’t really complain about it.

Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) IMG_1561

Rivian R1T R1S Resolved (my) excessive wind noise 2023 R1T (cause: corner window plastic trim) IMG_1560

OP
OP
Prime

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
OK, I see it now.

I feel like the wind noise comes from higher up on the driver's window but frankly I think this is worth a shot. I've ordered.

Will report back.
I thought mine was coming from up higher too. I think that turbulent wind noise was making it through the trim somehow I really don’t know. But again I’d tried everything else recommended minus changing triangle window which SC said they wouldn’t do since within spec etc etc.

Reactions: SDH

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
@Prime , thank you for this. I'm going to try it even though I think most of my noise is at the top of the windows. I definitely also have noise at the triangle windows.
Did you pry open that trim to install the weatherstrip, or just slide it into the existing gap?
Sponsored