bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla MYLR, Tesla MYSR, Tesla CT
Clubs

I purchased in August. Submitted as soon as I had the paperwork required. The IRS acknowledged receipt, but said it would take 16 weeks (!!) to process. That deadline came and went. Still not processed. The tracking page shows this crazy message, but calling them and talking to an agent revealed nothing. There's nothing due on the account, no flags, nothing. I guess I keep waiting.

1707012082007.png
We filed our amended return August 20, 2023. I have called the IRS a few times and generally get less than helpful information other than "We're backed up". Today, I finally got someone who shared a bit more insight. Whether it was made up or not, who knows, but the gentleman I spoke with said they are currently processing amendments from July and they have a backlog of over 700,000 amendments.

I've seen others report submitting amendments after me and have already received their returns, so I don't know what to make of that, but hopefully those of us who filed in August will see some progress in the next 30 days.
Sponsored

camrunr

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Today, I finally got someone who shared a bit more insight. Whether it was made up or not, who knows, but the gentleman I spoke with said they are currently processing amendments from July and they have a backlog of over 700,000 amendments.
That's a great update. Thanks for sharing! I can ratchet down my stress a little. :)

beawareindn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model 3, Audi Q5
Hi, for the people that sent in the mail version of 2022 tax amendment. What did you include? Did you just include the 1040x and form 8936 Or did you include the whole 1040 and all paperwork?

Jakelake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
My amended return was received by the IRS on 11 Sep 2023. I called the IRS today to find out the status and was told it has not been assigned for review. It has been 25 weeks since they received the 2022 amended return and all they could tell me was to call back in 30 days. Has anyone else waited this long for their amended return to be processed? I would hate to find out in a year that my return had an issue and then have to wait another year to have it resolved. I think I will not pay taxes 2023 and see how long it takes them to catch up with me. When they do, I will have my newly assigned personal IRS representative look into my amended return status.

bwilliam79

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla MYLR, Tesla MYSR, Tesla CT
Clubs

My amended return was received by the IRS on 11 Sep 2023. I called the IRS today to find out the status and was told it has not been assigned for review. It has been 25 weeks since they received the 2022 amended return and all they could tell me was to call back in 30 days. Has anyone else waited this long for their amended return to be processed? I would hate to find out in a year that my return had an issue and then have to wait another year to have it resolved. I think I will not pay taxes 2023 and see how long it takes them to catch up with me. When they do, I will have my newly assigned personal IRS representative look into my amended return status.
I have been waiting since August 20th for ours. I've called the IRS a couple of times and get generally the same response you have. Frustrating to say the least. :/ Hell, my 2024 return which was submitted just three weeks ago already hit my bank account as of this morning. The fact it has taken six months to process a two page form is a bit of a joke.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Mine was submitted via snail mail on 11.14.23 and was adjusted/paid out on 3.8.24. Not sure why mine went through faster than others. My 2022 taxes were pretty simple otherwise and my AGI was less than $150K at the time (I know AGI thresholds shouldn't apply).

Effopec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I asked my accountant to file the amendment along with our '23 taxes. She asked if we have proof of a binding agreement like a down payment or written purchase agreement? Has anyone had to add any info like this to the amendment?

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I asked my accountant to file the amendment along with our '23 taxes. She asked if we have proof of a binding agreement like a down payment or written purchase agreement? Has anyone had to add any info like this to the amendment?
No, as it is not necessary (unless audited).
Sponsored