Sponsored

Anyone else having Charge Port door issue after 2024.07.02?

NWR1S

First Name
Sydney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
RN
Same issue for me- a few days after the last update the charge port door will not open externally or with any of the infotainment opening options. Soft reset, hard reset and sleep cycle did not resolve. Rivian is sending a flatbed to tow it to the mothership tomorrow.
Sponsored

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
After the update, I unplugged the truck and left the charge port door open since it closes automatically when you put the truck "in gear". I reversed out of my driveway, then started on my way and immediately noticed that the charge port door was still open. That's never happened before.

I stopped and brought up the quick access screen and tapped the charge port door toggle. The door rotated downward partly and stopped. Tapping the charge port door button again did nothing.

I put the truck in park and got out and tapped the physical charge port door button and then it closed all the way.

Again, none of this has ever happened before and hasn't since.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Mine would not open starting yesterday. I updated on 12 Mar 2024. On the Vehicle Access menu, the charge port door would show it toggle between open and closed, despite no movement or sound at the charge port when I used the external charge port sensor or the Vehicle Access button to trigger the charge port door.

No better after soft reset, hard reset x 2, letting the truck sleep > 30 minutes multiple times.

Fortunately, the vehicle was at 70% (Always Be Charging) when I attempted to open the door. The truck is in the shop now, and should be completed tomorrow. The latest report was either replace the actuator or the entire charge port door. I’ll keep you informed.

Service on the app chat and at the West Sacramento Service Center has been awesome.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

After the update, I unplugged the truck and left the charge port door open since it closes automatically when you put the truck "in gear". I reversed out of my driveway, then started on my way and immediately noticed that the charge port door was still open. That's never happened before.

I stopped and brought up the quick access screen and tapped the charge port door toggle. The door rotated downward partly and stopped. Tapping the charge port door button again did nothing.

I put the truck in park and got out and tapped the physical charge port door button and then it closed all the way.

I've had that happen after a previous update, but it was so long ago I forgot about it.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
A few minutes after installing 2024.07.02, I got an error message saying vehicle charger damaged, charging unable until serviced. Then when trying to open charge port door, it opens but closes immediately and makes a clicking noise. It was not plugged in during update and there wasn't any damage physically.

Hard reset and infotainment reset done, didn't fix it. Waiting for a call back from service for a remedy.
I had the same giant red "charger damaged" message appear on my app but it disappeared immediately. A bunch of folks on Reddit had the same experience: Vehicle charger damaged : Rivian (reddit.com), so I assumed it was a bug.

The next day, I started getting "vehicle error" messages on my app (and red light around charge port) when it tried to periodically top off the battery. I'd disconnect and reconnect the charger and it would be fine until the next top-off. What's odd is that it'll charge to the 70% limit just fine after a drive—I only get the "vehicle error" during top-offs, so I wonder if it's something related to perhaps a change in the wake-up routine, or maybe the new NACS compatibility (grasping for straws here).

Currently, it still charges to the limit so I'm not reaching out to Rivian service. I had a bad experience with the Gaithersburg service center where the car sat for 9 days before being serviced for half a day, with only 1 out of 8 things actually fixed (even skipping ones where they acknowledged they reproduced the problem with me when I dropped off)...so I have little hope that they'd do anything and I'd waste another 2 work days driving it there and back. It'll need to be towed there before they take it seriously.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I got the truck back yesterday. The charge port door actuator failed and the Rivian Service Center replaced it. I had no problems getting my problem fixed.

Rivian arranged an Uber ride to the nearby Enterprise for a loaner vehicle. I got a 2022 Toyota Tacoma. This vehicle made me realize I am incredibly spoiled by the features and comfort of the R1T.

The Tacoma had no 360 degree view for maneuvering in parking lots, no front camera, and the ride comfort was like a truck. It had no tie downs in the bed. I had to carry a key, use an ignition switch, manually lock and unlock the vehicle, and I had to drive to a fueling stop and put gasoline in the tank instead of charging at home.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer

Ours did this exact thing after the Tesla charging addition went live on the 18th. Our fix was the same.

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I got the truck back yesterday. The charge port door actuator failed and the Rivian Service Center replaced it. I had no problems getting my problem fixed.

Rivian arranged an Uber ride to the nearby Enterprise for a loaner vehicle. I got a 2022 Toyota Tacoma. This vehicle made me realize I am incredibly spoiled by the features and comfort of the R1T.

The Tacoma had no 360 degree view for maneuvering in parking lots, no front camera, and the ride comfort was like a truck. It had no tie downs in the bed. I had to carry a key, use an ignition switch, manually lock and unlock the vehicle, and I had to drive to a fueling stop and put gasoline in the tank instead of charging at home.
How long did it stay in the shop? I took my car in two days ago.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Tuesday morning to Thursday 5 PM. They managed to source a replacement actuator faster than expected.

Gorilla5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1t
I am having the exact same issue. Updated to latest firmware yesterday (March 25). Today, the charge port door will not open via the external 3 line capacitive touch sensor, nor will it open via the internal software touchscreen. No sounds, no movement, nothing. Never had an issue before this.

This has to be related to the latest firmware.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I dropped off my car last Wednesday and picked it up today. They changed the charge port bracket and the actuator.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I usually let putting my truck into reverse close the charge port door but turns out I was able to drive a few blocks with it open. I pulled over and tapped the close button a few times to close it.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had the same giant red "charger damaged" message appear on my app but it disappeared immediately. A bunch of folks on Reddit had the same experience: Vehicle charger damaged : Rivian (reddit.com), so I assumed it was a bug.

The next day, I started getting "vehicle error" messages on my app (and red light around charge port) when it tried to periodically top off the battery. I'd disconnect and reconnect the charger and it would be fine until the next top-off. What's odd is that it'll charge to the 70% limit just fine after a drive—I only get the "vehicle error" during top-offs, so I wonder if it's something related to perhaps a change in the wake-up routine, or maybe the new NACS compatibility (grasping for straws here).

Currently, it still charges to the limit so I'm not reaching out to Rivian service. I had a bad experience with the Gaithersburg service center where the car sat for 9 days before being serviced for half a day, with only 1 out of 8 things actually fixed (even skipping ones where they acknowledged they reproduced the problem with me when I dropped off)...so I have little hope that they'd do anything and I'd waste another 2 work days driving it there and back. It'll need to be towed there before they take it seriously.
This started happening to me as well. Right after installing the latest update (2024.07.02). Specifically, the issue with the "vehicle error" and "charging has stopped". Also only happening when "trickle charging". I have to unplug and plug it back in again to get it charging.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
This started happening to me as well. Right after installing the latest update (2024.07.02). Specifically, the issue with the "vehicle error" and "charging has stopped". Also only happening when "trickle charging". I have to unplug and plug it back in again to get it charging.
One time, I remotely turned on preconditioning and then the car got over the "vehicle error" and began topping off the battery while preconditioning (without me touching the charger). It might have been just a coincidence, but it tells me that it's not a physical error with the connection.

It's always been able to complete charging as soon as I get home (1.5-3.5 non-stop hours, typically), so it's not an overheating problem or loose wiring/pins. The error only appears intermittently during those "trickle charges" every few hours. I've tried with both the Rivian charger and my outdoor Tesla Universal charger (same results).

Recently, they made changes to the wake-up behavior to fix a problem where profiles weren't fully switched when a different driver approached and woke up the car; I wonder if they rearranged something that randomly causes the charging system to time out when it tries to charge immediately after waking up.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
It's very strange a software update can kill an actuator door...
Sponsored