Sponsored

Anyone else having Charge Port door issue after 2024.07.02?

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
My charge door didn't open completely last night and prevented the plug from going in tight. Didn't realize it until I noticed it wasn't charged this morning. Door wouldn't close then. I "jiggled the handle" with it a few times and finally got it to close. Seems to be working fine now.
That was a 1st for me and was disconcerting.
1st thing I said to myself when I bought the vehicle and saw the motorized charge door opener, "well that's something sure to break".

EDIT - to say the port door mishap occurred the first time I went to charge after updating.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gorilla5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1t
My charge door didn't open completely last night and prevented the plug from going in tight. Didn't realize it until I noticed it wasn't charged this morning. Door wouldn't close then. I "jiggled the handle" with it a few times and finally got it to close. Seems to be working fine now.
That was a 1st for me and was disconcerting.
1st thing I said to myself when I bought the vehicle and saw the motorized charge door opener, "well that's something sure to break".
I wish Rivian had decided to save money by going with a simple push-to-open charger door latch (exactly the same as the gas door on ICE cars)... and instead given us a real horn instead of the clown car horn we got.

Gorilla5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1t
It's very strange a software update can kill an actuator door...
I agree. It is also possible that the service centers are mis-diagnosing the issue with "dead actuator". They don't know what the issue is, so they just replace the whole thing.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
I wish Rivian had decided to save money by going with a simple push-to-open charger door latch (exactly the same as the gas door on ICE cars)... and instead given us a real horn instead of the clown car horn we got.
Maybe that's the line shutdown improvement ;)

LimestoneSuperior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Corporate
I try every day to open my charging port door and it’s still closed. Won’t open with Alexa, fender touch, or car screen menu. This wasn’t an issue until after the update. Hard to believe all of these actuators are failing on the same day??? I agree with another poster that they probably don’t know what’s going on. Any tips?? Funny enough - to run an update you have to be plugged in….

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I normally do OTA updates while plugging in. However, on 2023.07.02, I didn't plug in while updating.

It is hard (for us) to connect the charge port actuator with the OTA updates but if that is what it takes to fix it, Rivian will continue replacing it until Rivian thinks it is a real software problem due to too many of these incidents reported... then they will look into the software. That is how it goes between business and IT; I spent 35 years supporting business software and they had to provide enough evidence before IT looked into it.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
I try every day to open my charging port door and it’s still closed. Won’t open with Alexa, fender touch, or car screen menu. This wasn’t an issue until after the update. Hard to believe all of these actuators are failing on the same day??? I agree with another poster that they probably don’t know what’s going on. Any tips?? Funny enough - to run an update you have to be plugged in….
I’m with you on this and was another victim that had the actuator replaced. I told the SC folks there just simply is no way all these failures are a coincidence. They sympathized but aren’t in a position to deal with potential OTA issues.

Updates do not require the trucks to be plugged in unless you’re at a low state of charge. Most of the time mine hit when unplugged.

LimestoneSuperior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Corporate
I’m with you on this and was another victim that had the actuator replaced. I told the SC folks there just simply is no way all these failures are a coincidence. They sympathized but aren’t in a position to deal with potential OTA issues.

Updates do not require the trucks to be plugged in unless you’re at a low state of charge. Most of the time mine hit when unplugged.
Sadly, my battery is close to 20% and goes down daily. Won’t matter though, unless they have an update to run by Tuesday when my service is supposed to be here. Which…seems like I’ll need to take it to the service center for a few days anyway. What a drag.

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
For what it's worth (not much) my R1T started having this issue after arriving home yesterday. Charge port won't open from the dash UI or from the external touch sense interface. Tried a hard reset last night, and a soft reset this morning without success.

The dash UI does go through its little animation, and the state changes suggesting door is either open or closed. Just no actual movement of the door itself.

Just tried to submit a service request, and it looks like the App takes you directly to service options rather than speaking to an advisor first. The soonest window is August 8th.

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
For what it's worth (not much) my R1T started having this issue after arriving home yesterday. Charge port won't open from the dash UI or from the external touch sense interface. Tried a hard reset last night, and a soft reset this morning without success.

The dash UI does go through its little animation, and the state changes suggesting door is either open or closed. Just no actual movement of the door itself.

Just tried to submit a service request, and it looks like the App takes you directly to service options rather than speaking to an advisor first. The soonest window is August 8th.
I called Rivian after I submitted a service request. By phone, they will walk you thru all the resets and will put your ticket into the priority queue; however, the phone rep (if he/she is nice enough), can call the SC directly and they (the local SC) can bring you in as soon as possible (due the the unopened charge port). Hope you have enough juice to get to a SC. Good Luck!

Sponsored

SourGrapes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner; R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I called Rivian after I submitted a service request. By phone, they will walk you thru all the resets and will put your ticket into the priority queue; however, the phone rep (if he/she is nice enough), can call the SC directly and they (the local SC) can bring you in as soon as possible (due the the unopened charge port). Hope you have enough juice to get to a SC. Good Luck!
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up chatting with an agent and they are having me drop off the vehicle at the local service center tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it’s just a SW thing and nothing mechanical. It was a wet weekend and I wonder if water got into a wire harness or the motor assembly.

OP
OP
BeanEW

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up chatting with an agent and they are having me drop off the vehicle at the local service center tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed it’s just a SW thing and nothing mechanical. It was a wet weekend and I wonder if water got into a wire harness or the motor assembly.
From my own experience and reading from others, Rivian will probably replace the actuator. Some are faster than others; the quickest one on this post was two days, mine took 6 days over a weekend.

909phillyman

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian r1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

And.....you can add me to the list of charge port door failures. My R1S charge port door automatically closed after I unplugged it Monday evening to go on a quick drive. At the time, I thought "Oh, that's new...I like it", but when I returned home to open the charge port to charge, the door would not open. As others described, neither the infotainment screen access button, nor the button at the port door would open the charge port. Called service and like others, they asked me to do hard and soft resets...to no avail. They scheduled the next available SC appointment, with a priority designation for....APRIL 24, but indicated that they would be contacting the SC directly for a sooner appointment. The next morning I was contacted by Support asking when I could bring it in, and I said...NOW. Went down the the Eastvale SC and they immediately took my truck to the repair bay, found a tech that wasn't on lunch, and then validated the issue and worked on it until I had to leave. At which point, they set up an Enterprise rental and then called an Uber to drive me to Enterprise...who had an electric Volvo C40 waiting for me.

All this to say, having this issue is a bummer, but at least my experience with Service was much better than my last experience. Additionally, the SC called me later in the day and stated that the actuator needed to be replaced, but they had the part and were proceeding with the repair. I am expected to pick my truck back up later today.

Like others, I can't imagine that this is a coincidence unrelated to the latest update, but unfortunately, Rivian hasn't come up with a sw fix yet, so until they do, affected vehicles will require a service visit. I am currently on v2024.07.02

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I usually let putting my truck into reverse close the charge port door but turns out I was able to drive a few blocks with it open. I pulled over and tapped the close button a few times to close it.
I've driven with mine stuck open in a blizzard. Either Rivian designed it for that concern or they got lucky because it was a lot cleaner than I expected after.
Sponsored