First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Construction Manager
I can't take it anymore Rivian friends....I've been waiting for an update or something but have had it. Well over a month ago my auto lock/unlock feature (run thru my app......iPhone 15) just pretty much stopped working, or at least working with any consistency. Some prelim looking into was talking about Bluetooth connection but didn't offer where to go with that. Basically it works sporadically & certainly even when working doesn't offer any consistency with its operation (sometimes spot on, other times I could be standing there for a half minute or have to do it manually from the app). I was thinking of just flat disabling the app & having the credit card Fob thing in my wallet fulfill that function, but it doesn't function at all. Any idea if this is maybe my vehicle or something Rivian could reset just to my vehicle? '24 R1T
Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Have you tried a hard reset?

I’ve noticed mine is intermittently not working as well.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
What have you tried in well over a month?

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

Do you keep your phone in different areas? Holding the phone or phone in front pocket works as expected. Back pocket is enough to block signal until I am right at the truck, sometimes even have to turn to the side. But it always works.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

I noticed the other day that after disabling Bluetooth on my phone while at the office, and forgot to re-enable it before walking back to my Rivian, it didn’t auto-unlock. I used the key card and drove home. Did a reset and all.. still didnt work…. But then i checked my settings and realized i had turned it off. The phone must have both Wifi & Bluetooth enabled to enable the auto-lock/unlock functionality.

May not be what’s impacting you, but wanted to put it out there for others who might run into similar reactions.

Sponsored

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I can't take it anymore Rivian friends....I've been waiting for an update or something but have had it. Well over a month ago my auto lock/unlock feature (run thru my app......iPhone 15) just pretty much stopped working, or at least working with any consistency. Some prelim looking into was talking about Bluetooth connection but didn't offer where to go with that. Basically it works sporadically & certainly even when working doesn't offer any consistency with its operation (sometimes spot on, other times I could be standing there for a half minute or have to do it manually from the app). I was thinking of just flat disabling the app & having the credit card Fob thing in my wallet fulfill that function, but it doesn't function at all. Any idea if this is maybe my vehicle or something Rivian could reset just to my vehicle? '24 R1T
I had this problem iphone 15 pro, started after an update, the fix was restarting the phone NOT the truck.

I went through massive trouble shooting with Rivian, to the point they set an appt for me to have the bluetooth system replaced in the truck after we did all sorts of stuff remotely.

OMG, the only thing they didn't have me do was restart the damn phone, and so I did that after we ended the call.....worked immediately.

Semibruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I had the same problem. Service walked me through a hard reset, which fixed the issue. ( Hold down the far left button on the steering wheel and the emergency flasher button for about 15 seconds.)

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Have you tried both an info and or hard reset?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

A friend of mine had this problem with his Tesla. After much questioning, it turned out he was force-quitting the Tesla app. There's still some insane and stupid advice out there to force quit apps (don't). Another friend had problems tracking a family member with limited faculties while she was on a trip solo; and both of them were force quitting the tracking app. Sheesh.

So, have you done anything to limit the Rivian app? Do you have full permissions on, such as location set to "always?" Never quit the app?

Have you fully removed the pairing on both, and added it back?

And tried a reboot of the car?

Have you tried a hard reset?
I'd like to talk about terminology. In general, around tech, a hard reset is when you eliminate all settings and turn it back to factory. It's the same as "factory reset" in that everything is lost, as you'd do when selling it.

Soft resets or reboots keep all of your data. And there are devices with a middle reset that keeps most data but wipes out minor settings, rather than all.

Around Rivian people, I get the impression that they think there are two resets, which are both soft, but they call one hard. And the hard reset, which I did when I bought my truck to remove EVERYTHING, is not well known. Which did you mean?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
A friend of mine had this problem with his Tesla. After much questioning, it turned out he was force-quitting the Tesla app. There's still some insane and stupid advice out there to force quit apps (don't). Another friend had problems tracking a family member with limited faculties while she was on a trip solo; and both of them were force quitting the tracking app. Sheesh.

So, have you done anything to limit the Rivian app? Do you have full permissions on, such as location set to "always?" Never quit the app?

Have you fully removed the pairing on both, and added it back?

And tried a reboot of the car?

I'd like to talk about terminology. In general, around tech, a hard reset is when you eliminate all settings and turn it back to factory. It's the same as "factory reset" in that everything is lost, as you'd do when selling it.

Soft resets or reboots keep all of your data. And there are devices with a middle reset that keeps most data but wipes out minor settings, rather than all.

Around Rivian people, I get the impression that they think there are two resets, which are both soft, but they call one hard. And the hard reset, which I did when I bought my truck to remove EVERYTHING, is not well known. Which did you mean?
I'm sure he means 'Vehicle Restart'.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Michael Kelly

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Construction Manager
Many questions/comments here that I completely, 100% appreciate. I did the vehicle start today (left steering wheel button & harzard), truck did its thing & no change. I've restarted my phone twice (iPhone 15) & no change. It's now completely inoperable whereas it would work intermittently before. I called Rivian service today & they can get me in June 26th !! What a gift !! That's pathetic, I love this vehicle like no other but this is a safety issue, security issue, I'll just leave it at that. I'll go try the key fob thing again & card fob but am just about done with this whole thing. I came out from the store today & it was wide open, handles flared as in come get my stuff. Rivian I hope you read these things.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Proximity lock/unlock is working again after doing a vehicle hard reboot/reset (whatever we call it)

Last edited:
OP
OP

Michael Kelly

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Construction Manager
Update of info maybe some of you can digest. I was at the grocery store today & auto lock worked fine. I got home to my condo & parked, auto lock did not & as I looked at the phone/app, said the phone was "offline". We're in a parking garage so that's understandable.....what's not understandable is Rivian has said that so long as my phone is connected to the vehicle, the app is on/active, we're good. And that's not what is happening in the field

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Mine had not been working for the last few weeks and now after a soft vehicle reset it is back working again. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

Michael Kelly

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Construction Manager
What is a soft vehicle reset? I'll try it