Sponsored

Back-and-forth between R1T (quad-motor) vs. Cybertruck (tri-motor)

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You are in a Rivian forum so...
😉
Sponsored

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
If you plan to use it for outdoorsy/traveling i think the rivian is better, due to better range, better charging infrastructure (now at least), and better suspension with the ability to simulate disconnecting of swaybars etc...the Cybertruck is a street truck. You want to use it as a family car, the interior is bigger, the bed in bigger, the frunk is good for groceries, the Rear wheel steer and steer by wire is great for parking in busy and tight mall parking lots. And that's great if that's your intent.

I do think that prices of CT will fall off a cliff once they are done selling foundation series. FSD has no resale value, the powershare is the other big thing, and that won't transfer to the next owner, the 35" ATs are not really all-terrains, so i don't see those adding value either. So that $20k package is as good as 0.

And once they sell through their fan list, the market for $100k trucks is diminishing fast, so i expect they will lower the msrp at that point as well.

So anyway, those are some of the things I would think about. I will say, my spot was around 50k on the CT waitlist, and they have already contacted me to configure and get delivery by April/May, so...i think the take rate isn't too great.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I reserved the day after the Cybertruck announcement. I configured my Cyberbeast on Jan 25th this year. I was hell-bent on going with the CB up until recently. Now I'm considering just going with the R1T in quad configuration. I'd be curious to hear opinions from others that went through this conversation in their head.

Background: I have plenty of experience offroading and working with trucks. I already have a dedicated vehicle -- a Toyota Tundra (supercharged V8) -- that I use for recreation and truck things or for towing. So I wouldn't really be getting either EV to replace that and it'd be more for a daily driver and hobby vehicle (even though I work remotely 3 days of the week). And we already have a Model Y in the family. I also do my own metal fabrication and will probably make some things for the CB (eg. bumpers, body panels). Probably going to make a trailer to tow behind the CB or R1T with a bunch of solar panels and a battery system for charging while camping, too.
https://www.instagram.com/spvrtan/p/Coi6YDHrW9t/
https://www.instagram.com/spvrtan/p/Cm1nCK6L4wg/

Here're my thoughts so far.

R1T (quad)
  • Interior and exterior appeal to me more.
  • Truck bed is smaller but more accessible.
  • Gear tunnel is pretty slick.
  • Now has access to Tesla's charging network.
  • Traditional mechanical steering system, which is more reliable (and fixable) when offroading.
  • Specs/numbers seem to take a huge dump when going to 35" tires from ~32s; probably more significant than a CB going to 37s from 35s.
  • Rivian feels more marketed toward general outdoor enthusiasts.
  • Battery pack isn't upgradable.
  • I hear the body panels are just as expensive to replace since it's a unibody vehicle with large single panels. I couldn't easily make my own panels out of metal like I could with the CT.
  • The suspension seems to be pretty good offroad as far as travel but some say it doesn't drive that smooth going faster on some dirt trails or desert whoops.
  • Will be $110k total after taxes/fees.

CB
  • Bullet-resistant panels and upgraded glass is a plus but realistically don't really need that (it's not like I live in a high risk area like LA or ever drive through there).
  • Exterior as a whole is unique. I have nothing against it and can appreciate the design.
  • Truck bed isn't super usable due to the sloped sides and high walls but also already have a truck/trailer for that kind of use.
  • Rear-steering is cool.
  • Steer-by-wire is cool but I worry about software/mechanical failure; I also kind of like the control a traditional steering setup provides, especially since I love driving. Additionally, don't really care for Tesla's FSD because of said passion for driving.
  • Don't care for the Powershare functionality.
  • Foundation Series is cool and all but nothing in it really screams at me as a "must-have" at that $20k price tag other than for bragging rights or clout.
  • I do like that all of the CT's specs/numbers are already based off of the truck having 35" tires from the factory whereas other EV trucks being compared to the CT's specs have ~32s. Which means going to 37s shouldn't be too much work (not against cutting up the truck to fit them).
  • Interior of the CT is "okay" to me. I get the whole Tesla minimalistic aesthetic but I do prefer the Rivian interiors since they're more sporty/adventure-based. The screen in front of the steering wheel is a plus, too. While I've grown to get used to the single screen in our Model Y, it still feels too empty to me.
  • As a whole, I feel like Tesla's are more catered to those that want a reliable vehicle to go places around the concrete jungles. The CT is a step above that with the offroad appeal but still feel like the CT is a pavement princess first.
  • Upgradable via extended battery pack in the future.
  • The flat SS body panels are probably going to be expensive to replace but also easy to vinyl wrap myself. Another plus is them being flat probably means I could easily do my own fabrication work and replace them with aluminum panels and do more contouring to shape the silhouette of the CT (at the cost of losing the whole bullet-resistant aspect).
  • CT seems to have a pretty solid suspension performance-wise from what I've seen through videos of others abusing their truck. Though it seems like a lot of the suspension components could be upgraded for durability (ie. control arms, steering linkages).
  • CB (FS) will be ~$130k total after taxes/fees.
I hope you also posted the same question on CT forum. Since you're on Rivian forum, you already know the bias.

Personally, I like how CT looks and if I was a truck guy, which I am not, I would select CT simply from differentiation.

I have seen many CTs now on the road and on delivery semis. Vast majority are wrapped instead of the naked SS skin. I was surprised how small (relatively speaking) it is in person, compared to what the images show online.

Recently, I was getting a set of running boards installed on my R1S, and the shop had 2 CTs there to be wrapped. Had a chance to take a good look inside and out and thought that it was put together quite well, especially for early production vehicles. Due to all the reporting of poor finish, I was expecting to see lots of gaps and misalignments but didn't find anything obvious.

Since you're buying a new toy, sounds like, forget all the practical stuff and get whichever provokes your emotion more.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I believe that you could fulfill all of your wants and desires with either truck. It depends primarily on what lights your fire. Both trucks are really cool and state of the art. Best wishes in your final decision.

Brian

srkz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
it's not like I live in a high risk area like LA or ever drive through there
I have lived in LA for decades and you'll be happy to know that, like the vast majority of people that live in LA, I have never once been shot at lol.

The suspension on the CT looks weak and flimsy though, I think if you actually think you might be going hard enough to need to do trail repairs you're going to be stranded pretty quick in the CT.

Sponsored

AA_Rivian_Socal

First Name
Alaa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green R1T Adv. / BM / 20 AT
Occupation
management
Clubs

I would vote for Rivian as I appreciate more everyday that I use it. CT is not for me. cannot stand the ugly design.
but I am actually here to comment on your Tundra. looks awesome. I wish I had a truck like that.

OverEasyGoing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Wrangler, '23 R1S, '79 Scout, R2 Reserved
Whichever one you go with, I hope you come back and share your trailer idea with the solar and batteries for charging when it's done.

And FWIW, another vote for the R1T, for all of the above stated reasons.

OP
OP

Spvrtan

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Tesla Model Y
The AT tires on the R1T are 34", not 32".

I would *not* in any way assume that the battery pack add-on will every arrive for the CT. Also, don't forget that you can't pack a spare without taking up bed space.

Given the use case you described, is there a reason you don't want a dual motor?
The spare carrying is a concern but a mild one. I have enough experience fixing tire punctures (and sidewall) if needed to limp the CT back to a shop or home.

Being that I'm a gearhead, I feel like if I'm getting a vehicle, I'd want to get the version of it with the most power/torque. I think I read that the CB uses the CT's rear motor for the CB's front motor and then individual motors for each rear axle on the CB, too. And for the R1, I like that the quad-motor can do torque vectoring at each corner.

OP
OP

Spvrtan

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How soon do you need it? That should narrow things down quite a bit. They are both very capable trucks each with their pros and cons.

The CT is only available in foundation series right now and it's likely to be a long wait (depending on when you got on the list).

Me personally I like the CT but the tri motor version is 100k and the DM is on the slower side. Also, right now there is no autopilot from what I'm told only TACC.

Importantly, the drag coefficient is better on the R1T and the R1T has more usable energy in the battery (131 kwh vs 123kwh CT). Real world range on CT will be much lower.

If I was leaning towards CT I would want to let Tesla ramp up production a bit and get myself a later VIN.

Right now for the price I think the R1T is a better value.
To be honest, I don't "need" either now. We have 3 vehicles and I only go into the office 1-2 times a week. So getting another vehicle would purely satisfy my gearhead side and passion for vehicles. I already put my $1,000 deposit down for the CB so I'm in the waiting stage for a VIN. From what I've been reading on the CT forums, I'm probably due to be reached out about finalizing/delivering my CT in 1 month or 2 tops. I think I could try to ask them to delay my position in line again for when the FS are sold out and I can just get the CB without the FS package. I do agree with you though, I wouldn't want to get the dual-motor CT. I think you're definitely helping me lean toward -- if anything -- just delaying my deposit further.

I am very keen on awaiting what Rivian does with the R1T as far as upgrades after retooling or if the "Ascent" trim is going to be anything significant if not a rumor. But I wonder if the company is throwing everything they got at the R2 now and just keeping the R1 as is for a while.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spvrtan

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m not a serious off-roader, but I do take back country dirt roads on my way to campgrounds on occasion.

One of the best R1T selling points to me is some of the small but thoughtful design decisions.

Like I can use the gear tunnel door as a step to access the bed. It makes tie-downs easy. It also makes a great chair for dealing with muddy boots or ski gear.

The flashlight and bed lights are more useful than I expected. The crossbars are surprisingly versatile, functional, and easy to remove. The first aid kit and air compressor gear is easy to access (although the compressor hose is a bit of a pain).

I have yet to see a Cybertruck, but I don’t get the impression they spent a lot of time designing things to be useful and functional. Design decisions seem to have prioritized polarizing looks over useful functionality.

I personally can’t think of any vehicle I’d rather have than an R1T at any price point.
I'm 100% with you on those thoughtful design decisions. To me, Tesla feels more like the Apple of EVs and Rivian is the Android. Whereas Tesla/Apple cater to minimalism, appealing to the lowest common denominator users as far as functionality and "just works", and a high price tag for said simplicity and reliability.

Edit: And I'm an Android user.

OP
OP

Spvrtan

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You wrote for CT:

I think you will have an issue there, please check this out first:
(below video is timestamped so just click on it it will take to the heart of the problem)
I saw that video. So basically need to add more negative offset to clear that bolt. Looks to be at least an inch needed. But then that increases the turning arc/radius and causes rubbing. What I'm curious to see is what exactly it's rubbing on and if it's just plastic or cosmetic sheet metal (ie. not structural) that I can just cut off or smash with a sledgehammer. I did plenty of that to fit 40" tires on my Tundra. That video shows that the front rub area looks like it's just inner wheel well plastic. I'd be curious to see what the rear rubs on and if there's a body mount there like most modern trucks have.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I'd get a used R1T for $55-58K and stay on the CT list for the base tri motor.....then you can have a Toyota, Rivian and CT (do a long travel kit) and hardly spend any more over a Founders E purchase only...
Sponsored