Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Literally the only noise my R1T *intentionally* makes that gets me to cringe EVERY TIME: Incoming calls.

Sounds like a clown convention honking their noses!!
At least it gets me to answer the call REALLY fast!! :CWL:

I think everything else is pretty gravy. I do wish the low speed pedestrian courtesy noise was more 'natural,' though. Wasn't that inspired by a babbling brook? I think it'd be nice if it was closer to that sound... but honestly, I won't complain about it--it could definitely be worse!

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

Do you drive with no audio on at all? I think they are too quiet and I routinely forget they are on. My gripe isn't so much with the lack of noise but the overuse of unnecessary technology which has led to a purely digital system and away from the tried and true physical solution of a stalk that would stay in the signal position. Its kind of like the digital vent controls, except at least in that case it was arguably for aesthetics but with a much larger loss in functionality. I can see no reason to remove the physical stalk holding even if was all digital in the background.
I wasn’t crazy about the blinker but it’s grown on me. It is easy to overpower with music however. And I agree with many on the weak horn - I don’t understand that at all.

As for the stalk not staying in the physical position, there is a functional reason for that, assuming Driver+ will (or already does? I haven’t really used it yet) enable automated lane changes. It allows you to request a lane change and have it completed by the car.

I had a 2016 Tesla Model X. Autopilot would change lanes but then leave the blinker going until you manually turned it off. Once Model 3 came out Tesla went with the non-sticking stalks that BMW and some others had switched to, and auto lane change is improved. Rivian took the same approach.

Of course Tesla has now gone too far and done away with the stalks completely, another reason I replaced my X with an R1S instead of a new X.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
A volume control would be nice. The way I set my seat/steering wheel, I can't see the indicators up top, and would love a bit more volume. And maybe a toggle....traditional noise....or wood block thingy...

Sponsored

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
I call BS on them sampling a wolf and two sticks to make the blinker noise...it is clearly the sound of a fingernail tapping on the bottom of an empty (Red) Solo Cup.

As for not using the blinker because you don't like the noise, you would be right at home in San Antonio...if you see someone with their blinker on, it's because it was on when they bought the car.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
Is it just me but I think the blinker noise is annoying like Chinese water torture and to loud?
I like the unique sound and it is just loud enough to hear over the music. Great feature

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
Mi e is way to low, can't hardly hear it with music on. My hearing is excellent BTW. Maybe there is a volume adjustment?
The horn is quiet inside the cabin which I like, but outside it’s just as loud as other vehicles. I think it has to do with the placements of the horns. Normally, the cones point to the ground, not the front.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
The horn is quiet inside the cabin which I like, but outside it’s just as loud as other vehicles. I think it has to do with the placements of the horns. Normally, the cones point to the ground, not the front.
Not related to placement. Same placement as ever, just short changed by one horn. Some time this year Rivian started cutting corners and omitted the higher pitched of two horns (high and low). People mistake it for a change in volume, because that’s what it sounds like, when it’s in fact a reduction in intensity/pitch/frequency.

If yours sound fine to you it’s because you got yours before the silly production change. Not because the complainers are crazy/deaf, or that Rivian moved the horns deeper within bowels of the beast.

Last edited:

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Clubs

The noise the Count misses the most when driving his Rivian is the sweet sound of grey squirrels being flattened. He can't hear or feel a thing in the R1S compared to his F150h.

Sponsored

David Yunker

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I was speaking of the blinker sound not the horn. My horn is just fine.

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

I don't what all you talking about1 I never use my blinker.:LOL::beer::muscle:🤣😂🤪

Ccomtois

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 150
Occupation
Patient Rivian Pre-Order Holder

carancpa

First Name
Caran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S, 07 FLHSE, 84 Sunflyer
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
Clubs

I LOVE the turn signal!!! First, anyone that has range of sound deafness relies on low sounds that they FEEL in their chest and/or high sounds that they FEEL in their head. Example, I know that someone is approaching my house because I feel (in my chest) the low vibration of the truck motor. Or in the garden, I feel (in my head) the flapping of hummingbird wings or bees. The thumping is in my chest for the blinker sound so I can know and not hear that I did not reset my "over power" hitting of the turn signal. In other words, for a Rivian:
1. if you are making a turn you HIT the lever HARD and it will reset once your steering wheel completes the turn.
2. if you are just indicating a lane change you would HIT the lever SOFT (a half way down move) so it indicates a few signal light off and on and stops on it's own.
So if you HATE the sound, then you must be pressing too hard on the lever and not making a hard turn. It is a matter of learning the soft vs hard touch for the signal you want to make.

Rivianut

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Pilot
We had an Audi Q5 until the R1T arrived. The door warnings were so angry in that car, turn signal was just as angry. Hated everything about that car…. The R1T sounds are all very calm and subdued. I am biased for sure, but I’ll say it anyways. Everything about the Rivian is calm and relaxing to me, besides the acceleration lol.
Sponsored