First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Not all are satellite. Some use terrestrial microwave links.

The point is that this could be a one-off problem with OP's Rivian where a there is a poor connection, broken shielding or bad sensor that allows RF from a nearby transmitter into the circuit. It's technically plausible. How likely? dunno.
Agreed it's most likely a one-off issue with the OP's vehicle.

I think if they tried to push that "nearby RF signals killed your vehicle" BS on me, my reply would be "well there were probably 5,000 vehicles in that same parking lot.. why did it just kill my vehicle?".
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

I think if they tried to push that "nearby RF signals killed your vehicle" BS on me, my reply would be "well there were probably 5,000 vehicles in that same parking lot.. why did it just kill my vehicle?".
It's absolutely an issue with the OP's vehicle (and hopefully just a one-off). As to what the cause is, nothing can be ruled out until the cause is found. But I do agree that RF signals most likely have no bearing on the situation. Some of your statements though assume that everything was working correctly (including the vehicle and everything in its environment) when clearly something was not operating within spec.

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
This reminds me of "antennagate" with the iPhone 4. Maybe you just parked your car wrong. That is, too close to other electric "stuff". Clearly, user error. 😏

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
"well there were probably 5,000 vehicles in that same parking lot.. why did it just kill my vehicle?".
That is probably exactly what they are trying to figure out. They would probably welcome any helpful suggestions you might have.

OP
OP
thebwk

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Quick Update:
I called to inquire on the status of my R1S today and was just contacted by the Chicago service center. On Friday they pulled all of the necessary gear guard files and sent them to Engineering. Engineering is now inspecting the files and vehicle, so it's in their hands. My service rep is hoping it will be ready to go by the end of the week.

The good news is that they have agreed to cover the cost to tow it back to me, but he did make sure to emphasize "this one time".

I told them my expectation is to get feedback from engineering with their findings, keeping in mind it wasn't the first time I was in that parking lot this year, and it won't be the last.

Thanks,
Ben

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Quick Update:
I called to inquire on the status of my R1S today and was just contacted by the Chicago service center. On Friday they pulled all of the necessary gear guard files and sent them to Engineering. Engineering is now inspecting the files and vehicle, so it's in their hands. My service rep is hoping it will be ready to go by the end of the week.

The good news is that they have agreed to cover the cost to tow it back to me, but he did make sure to emphasize "this one time".

I told them my expectation is to get feedback from engineering with their findings, keeping in mind it wasn't the first time I was in that parking lot this year, and it won't be the last.

Thanks,
Ben
I'm sure they will figure it out. If they find this image on the gear guard cam I'm afraid the vehicle will have to be replaced.

Rivian R1T R1S Bricked - Driving Disabled – Service park brake system The_War_of_the_Worlds_by_Henrique_Alvim_Corrêa_11

OP
OP
thebwk

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm really getting tired of driving the rental Nissan Armada they gave me. I just want my Rivian back!

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I'm really getting tired of driving the rental Nissan Armada they gave me. I just want my Rivian back!
Sorry to hear it is taking so long. What is latest from them? Any movement on a fix?

OP
OP
thebwk

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

cuz https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_error

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I would call service and ask for an ETC. You should be getting updates at least every 2 days.
Nope. It is the Rivian 's way as of late. Unless you call them for update, they would never call you as my last two services experiences.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs