First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
MD
So, I know the car wash mode is for drive through car washes but It was rather annoying when the charge door kept opening even with just the spray of water. So, I opened the door and put it in car wash mode. Everything was fine, the door handles did close like they should (maybe better open for home car wash) but when I was done, I could not open the doors to take it out of car wash mode. I tried in the app to lock and then unlock the doors but the handles stayed closed. I had to crawl in the hatch to open the door from the inside. The screen was dark as well and would not respond since I likely needed to hit the brake but this would have been hard to do.
So, I won't be doing this again but a little feature in the app to deactivate the charge door for a 10-20 min window would be something to consider.
Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
So, I know the car wash mode is for drive through car washes but It was rather annoying when the charge door kept opening even with just the spray of water. So, I opened the door and put it in car wash mode. Everything was fine, the door handles did close like they should (maybe better open for home car wash) but when I was done, I could not open the doors to take it out of car wash mode. I tried in the app to lock and then unlock the doors but the handles stayed closed. I had to crawl in the hatch to open the door from the inside. The screen was dark as well and would not respond since I likely needed to hit the brake but this would have been hard to do.
So, I won't be doing this again but a little feature in the app to deactivate the charge door for a 10-20 min window would be something to consider.
your doors are still unlocked, you just have to manually deploy the handle by pressing the forward part of the lever.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Did not know that was a thing. Thanks.
The next update will present the handles when unlock is pressed in carwash mode. I think a lot of people had that issue. I had to show the attendants at the carwash I go to.

Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

Did not know that was a thing. Thanks.
If it makes you feel better, the exact same thing happened to me first time using car wash mode. I saw in the next update they're changing it to present door handles after a manual unlock when in car wash mode to help avoid confusion.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Common issue but like someone else pointed out, the door remain unlocked and you could have manually operated the handles.
The notes for the upcoming update indicate this is being addressed by presenting the handles when you unlock from the app in car wash mode.
Itā€™s a little surprising how many people have this happen and donā€™t even try to manipulate the handleā€¦even if someone doesnā€™t think of it, itā€™s the first thing CS would suggest if you called in for assistance

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
User error and covered multiple times monthly for over a year. Car wash mode isnā€™t just for the automated washes. Itā€™s for the charge door to not be triggered by water. In this mode, while handles are retracted the doors are not locked. You manually put pressure on the handleā€™s dimple to pivot the handle outward. All this is in the Owner Guide, P. 285. In upcoming OTA, if it goes public, handles will change to present.

Last edited:

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
The problem I have with carwash mode is that it won't stay in carwash mode. I put the car in neutral and in carwash mode. Then I wash the car. This is at a car wash where I do all the work. After a few minutes I get to the chargeport door and when I spray it it opens up. If I check, it is no longer in carwash mode. Anybody know what's going on?

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
The problem I have with carwash mode is that it won't stay in carwash mode. I put the car in neutral and in carwash mode. Then I wash the car. This is at a car wash where I do all the work. After a few minutes I get to the chargeport door and when I spray it it opens up. If I check, it is no longer in carwash mode. Anybody know what's going on?
You donā€™t need to put it in neutral to hand wash. I put mine in park (and so should you for safety). May or may not be cause. At any time did you lock or cycle the locks? Try a hard reset perhaps. Beyond that submit a ticket and let them know itā€™s not staying in car wash mode.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rivian on a Rampage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Sierra, Ford 555, 29 Ford tudor
Since this last update, my charge port door on my R1T will open when water hits it. Have hand washed it for over a year and never had an issue. I planned on making a post for those that do not hand wash their car. Could cause damage to the door if it opens in one of those things.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T MB/BM, 2023 Tesla model X.
Occupation
MD
I find it very entertaining to read these stories. šŸ˜†

my charge door used to open when in car wash mode, but it improved quiere a bit average updates ago, and havenā€™t had that issue in a while.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

If 2023.38.0 goes live, the handles will get in the way. All because people donā€™t RTFM and complain too loudly. https://rivian.software/2023-38/
My understanding is they will still go in. You will be able to get them to present when unlocking from the app though. There was a problem where cars got stuck in the car wash because the vehicle was locked and the car wash attendant fastened seatbelt which made the truck think it was in use thus preventing unlock via app, key card, or proximity.
Sponsored