Sponsored

Charger Handle Locking

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

From what I can tell the Rivian charger handle on my wall charger in my garage only locks during actual charging when the car is locked - not when charging and unlocked, and not when locked and finished charging. Is that what others experience?

This is different from my Tesla charger handle which always remains locked when the car is locked.

Doesn't seem great in public spaces using your mobile charger (where it could be unplugged and taken after charging completes) or if your charger is scheduled for later and gets unplugged without your knowledge.

Seems strange to be set this way?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The latch has a spot for a micro lock to be used to prevent removal. Keeping honest people honest.

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

From what I can tell the Rivian charger handle on my wall charger in my garage only locks during actual charging when the car is locked - not when charging and unlocked, and not when locked and finished charging. Is that what others experience?

This is different from my Tesla charger handle which always remains locked when the car is locked.

Doesn't seem great in public spaces using your mobile charger (where it could be unplugged and taken after charging completes) or if your charger is scheduled for later and gets unplugged without your knowledge.

Seems strange to be set this way?
Same experience. I too would prefer it to stay locked as long as the car is locked.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Same. Not a fan either. It should be locked whenever the truck is locked.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
If someone unplugs mine it means they are in my house and they are gonna be taking rounds. I do agree that it should be locked in when the truck is locked though.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I can understand the logic, if you are at a trailhead, plugged in but not charging it let’s someone pull out the plug so they can then charge.

My only concern would be if I was using a tesla adapter and was late getting back to the vehicle when charging the adapter is not secured to the vehicle.

All that being said, I’ve never not been at my vehicle (Tesla or Rivian), when it was done charging in public.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It's pretty standard practice for a charge plug to be unlocked when the vehicle completes charging. In a public charging scenario that allows someone the courtesy to use the handle once another vehicle completes.

GreenOptimist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

It's pretty standard practice for a charge plug to be unlocked when the vehicle completes charging. In a public charging scenario that allows someone the courtesy to use the handle once another vehicle completes.
What other cars do this? I thought Teslas at least stay locked while the car is locked.

I get that friendly logic for public chargers but when I’m in my driveway I don’t want anyone else to be able to come unplug me. At least should be a setting to toggle IMO.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I prefer that it unlocks when done charging. This is the polite thing to do. When at a level 2 destination type charger (hotel/trailhead) when your vehicle is done charging someone else can use the charger. Honestly I don’t know if I will ever have a use for the mobile charger except private or rented spaces (Cabin/camping). I can’t imagine pulling up to a public 240v plug. (110v is pointless).

If at a Tesla destination charger then use a lock on your teslatap

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
I prefer that it unlocks when done charging. This is the polite thing to do. When at a level 2 destination type charger (hotel/trailhead) when your vehicle is done charging someone else can use the charger. Honestly I don’t know if I will ever have a use for the mobile charger except private or rented spaces (Cabin/camping). I can’t imagine pulling up to a public 240v plug. (110v is pointless).

If at a Tesla destination charger then use a lock on your teslatap
On a trip to Florida, we were charging at an Electrify America charger in Gainesville. The vehicle had 10% and I needed 80-90%, so we went to get something to eat. While watching the app I saw that the truck stopped charging at 70%, then it said unplugged. Some jerk in a Volvo pushed stop on the EA charger, pulled his car right to my bumper, and was trying to stretch the cord to his vehicle. I wasn’t sitting idle. I was watching the app closely. Hell, the guy still had the charger’s cord in his hand when I got there. We were in Florida for about an hour and I was already in a fight in a Publix parking lot. I would prefer the charger stay locked when charging stops.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT

What other cars do this? I thought Teslas at least stay locked while the car is locked.

I get that friendly logic for public chargers but when I’m in my driveway I don’t want anyone else to be able to come unplug me. At least should be a setting to toggle IMO.
My 2017 i3 does this.. when charging the handle is locket into the port, once the i3 is "full" it unlocks the handle so someone else can use it.
Sponsored