Adamn

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)
On one of the videos about the R2/R3 launch, they were talking with RJ and he said they'd have class leading towing, just like the R1T and R1S. So, whatever that means, maybe 5k for R2?
Any chance you have a link to that video? None that I've seen so far have any mention of towing.

I will put on my speculative hat for a moment. My guess is that R2 will have a towing capacity in the 5000 lbs range and that R3 will be 3000 or less. It's possible R2 could be in the 3500 range too.

Short SUVs don't usually do too well towing heavier trailers. Power is not the issue...it's stability.
R2 5000 lbs and R3 3500 lbs are my hope (but I wouldn't complain if the numbers came in higher). My ski boat is under 3500 lbs with the trailer and lives at the lake all summer so it'd be nice to have something shorter and more maneuverable from our campsite to the boat ramp.
Sponsored

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Any chance you have a link to that video? None that I've seen so far have any mention of towing.

R2 5000 lbs and R3 3500 lbs are my hope (but I wouldn't complain if the numbers came in higher). My ski boat is under 3500 lbs with the trailer and lives at the lake all summer so it'd be nice to have something shorter and more maneuverable from our campsite to the boat ramp.
R2 Towing Capacity Clip

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I will put on my speculative hat for a moment. My guess is that R2 will have a towing capacity in the 5000 lbs range and that R3 will be 3000 or less. It's possible R2 could be in the 3500 range too.

Short SUVs don't usually do too well towing heavier trailers. Power is not the issue...it's stability.
If the towing capacity over/under for the R2 is 3,500lbs... I'll take over for 5,000lbs please.
It looks like it will have good size tires and properly sized brakes. I'm guessing the R2 weight will be somewhere in the 4,500-5,000 lb range because to get 300+mi range it will need close to a 100kWh battery which is heavy! RJ did say "it will be best in class", 3,500lb towing for a mid size SUV would not represent "best in class" IMO.

The R3.. maybe different rating for the R3 and the R3X based on tires, etc.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

That seems really unstable to me, unless there's a way to support the receiver in the middle - all the weight of a trailer/bike rack/cargo box is gonna push right in the middle of whatever bar the goes between the accessory points.

Even aftermarket hitch add-ons for other cars mount to the structure under the bumper somehow.

I'm guessing it'll be behind some facia just like on the Model Y, with the non-hitch option just not having the cutout and cover that the hitch option would have.

But if I'm proven wrong, then no worries!
Well most are already designed not supported in the middle.
Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed: R2 / R3 will have tow hitch Opera Snapshot_2024-03-12_140609_www.etrailer.com

In fact, the little center ones are rated for less load.
Rivian R1T R1S Confirmed: R2 / R3 will have tow hitch Opera Snapshot_2024-03-12_140721_www.etrailer.com

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

R2 Towing Capacity Clip
That implies 5000-6500lb for the R2 like a 4Runner.
Hard to guess for the R3 as a passenger car but 1500-3500lb like a subaru.

Sponsored

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I did a little digging and found the this from the RV Consumer Group
(nothing about weight though)

(This guideline was first used by the RV Consumers Group rv.org)

For the first 110" of wheelbase, this allows you 20' of trailer.

For each additional 4" of wheelbase, this gets you 1' more of trailer.

said they'd have class leading towing, just like the R1T and R1S.
The R1S 7800lb tow rating is not class leading. There are plenty of similarly sized suv's with a higher tow rating.
However the R1S will tow those loads more confidently for sure, speaking from experience.
Remember that safe tow weight rating is a function of wheelbase, so I would not expect much more than 4k to 5k. R3 will be less than R2.
I would agree with this, with the long wheelbase maybe 5500lb for the R2
That implies 5000-6500lb for the R2 like a 4Runner.
I doubt it would be 6500lb that is getting close to the R1 capacity.
I also don't see the R2 as competition for the 4Runner as it will not be nearly as off-road capable as it is just too low.
The Rav4 is a more comparable.
I could see the R3 having a respectable 3500lb tow capacity since it has a 110" wheelbase.

Last edited:

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I did a little digging and found the this from the RV Consumer Group
(nothing about weight though)

(This guideline was first used by the RV Consumers Group rv.org)

For the first 110" of wheelbase, this allows you 20' of trailer.

For each additional 4" of wheelbase, this gets you 1' more of trailer.

The R1S 7800lb tow rating is not class leading. There are plenty of similarly sized suv's with a higher tow rating.
However the R1S will tow those loads more confidently for sure, speaking from experience.

I would agree with this, with the long wheelbase maybe 5500lb for the R2

I doubt it would be 6500lb that is getting close to the R1 capacity.
I also don't see the R2 as competition for the 4Runner as it will not be nearly as off-road capable as it is just too low.
The Rav4 is a more comparable.
I could see the R3 having a respectable 3500lb tow capacity since it has a 110" wheelbase.
The 4runner has 9.6" inches of ground clearance and the R2 supposedly will have 9.8". Looks like the new 4runner only tows 5000lb with 110" wheel base. Our older gx470 on the same wheelbase tows 6500 but it has a V8.

Wheelbase is not the only consideration for tow capacity. Here are the main test methods trucks would be measured on as per SAE J2807:

Cooling capability on a long highway upgrade modeled on the Davis Dam grade on Arizona SR 68;
Launch and acceleration performance on a level road and a 12 percent upgrade;
Combined handling performance – understeer and trailer sway;
Combined braking performance – stopping distance and parking brake-hold on grade; and
Structural performance for the vehicle and hitch or hitch receiver.
New calculations for trailer weight ratings: In addition to the performance standards, SAE J2807 also uses a specific set of assumptions to calculate maximum trailer weight ratings:

For light-duty full-size pickups (GVWR < 8,500 lbs.), SAE J2807 assumes that the tow vehicle includes any options with higher than 33 percent penetration;
It assumes there is both a driver and passenger in the vehicle, each weighing 150 pounds;
It assumes that tow vehicles also include up to 70 pounds of aftermarket hitch equipment (where applicable); and
For conventional trailer towing, SAE J2807 assumes that 10 percent of the trailer weight is on the tongue

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The 4runner has 9.6" inches of ground clearance and the R2 supposedly will have 9.8"
Is that 9.6" at the absolute lowest point under the rear diff.?
On the R2 the highest ground clearance is also the lowest point of ground clearance.
The rocker panel height on the 4Runner is several inches higher than the R2.
Thanks for the additional info. What are options with higher than 33% penetration?
Those are some light occupants.

Last edited:

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

R2 has a long wheelbase for its size at 115”. Would be pretty surprised if it tows less than a 4Runner.

Examples? Just curious.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Examples? Just curious
Armada
Defender
Durango
Expedition/Navigator
Lexus LX
Sequoia
Tahoe/Yukon
QX80
Range Rover
Wagoneer
All of the above have higher tow ratings since we are comparing EV to ICE (R2-4Runner). The R1S has no competition in the EV class.
I am pretty sure the R1S will handle the loads better however.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MacJoC

First Name
Jo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer (R2 reserved)
While we're on the topic...I'm assuming it'll be a 2inch (?) tow hitch receiver, not a smaller (and more annoying) 1.25inch.

Please say yes..I hated the smaller one I had on a previous car.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
While we're on the topic...I'm assuming it'll be a 2inch (?) tow hitch receiver, not a smaller (and more annoying) 1.25inch.

Please say yes..I hated the smaller one I had on a previous car.
No way will it be a 1.25" receiver on the R2... rest easy, it will be a vehicle that is expected to tow moderate loads. ;)

Possibly a 1.25" setup on the R3 if it even comes with a built in receiver from the factory.

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

The Rivian design folks I spoke with at the Austin R2 event said the R2/R3/R3X (and probably future R1) will have a center receiver for regular hitches, and two ports on the sides for their accessory/stabilization platform. 3 holes, total.

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
I’m thinking it’s going to be more like 3,500 lbs for the R2 and 2,000 lbs for the R3, just based on their size. Total speculation though.
Sponsored