Sponsored

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Maybe I missed it but who are the rest of the leaders in their respective R1T and R1S categories.

R1T was 2 out of 7 in Electric Pickups and R1S was 3 out of 9 in Electric SUV's.
Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I do not understand the "Tock", I have an R1T 2023 Big battery 4 motor Adventure unit. . Is the tock a sound found in earlier units?
I’m not clear on the “Tock” sound either. I hear a series of clicks while the suspension is adjusting (when starting up or changing clearance).

Also, post-2023.50 update, my R1S occasionally makes a loud CLUNK when pressing the park button on an incline after reversing. I need to check whether that sound occurs always after reversing or only after first starting up (and with/without preconditioning).

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

I think some sounds bother me, and other sounds bother others . We may be discussing a mild form of mysophobia, a condition where sounds bother people. I am not minimizing the condition, my head explodes when a Harley passes me on the driver side and I am driving. While others just hear the sound of America!

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

I’m not clear on the “Tock” sound either. I hear a series of clicks while the suspension is adjusting (when starting up or changing clearance).
This is normal. When changing ride heights, the suspension is not a quiet one compared to other similar suspensions I have experienced.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I think some sounds bother me, and other sounds bother others . We may be discussing a mild form of mysophobia, a condition where sounds bother people. I am not minimizing the condition, my head explodes when a Harley passes me on the driver side and I am driving. While others just hear the sound of America!
For me its more about the fact that the sound exists, and how I can still hear it even with music playing.

The sound does change depending on regen level, temperature, etc. There are times where I don't really notice it that much, and other times where it is bothersome.

I'm by far the loudest complainer of the tock, but I think that's just because my tocks the loudest.

Here are some threads on it:

Early poll on the issue -
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/low-speed-tocking-when-stopping-or-starting.5748/

Service Bulletin -
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ss-the-creaking-half-shaft-noise-issue.14868/

Sponsored

OP
OP
foxerson

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Maybe I missed it but who are the rest of the leaders in their respective R1T and R1S categories.

R1T was 2 out of 7 in Electric Pickups and R1S was 3 out of 9 in Electric SUV's.
To clarify, the rankings you mention here are based on the rating system used by CR and their in-house reviewers. Which is different from the customer satisfaction rankings from actual owners of the vehicles summarized in the link at the start of this thread.

The CR in-house ratings are:

Electric Pickups
  1. Ford F150 Lightening
  2. Rivian R1T
    (They have not yet tested the Hummer, Cybertruck, Silverado, Sierra, or Ram)

Electric 3-Row SUVs
  1. Mercedes EQS
  2. Tesla Model X
  3. Rivian R1S
    (They have not yet tested Cadillac, Volvo, Kia, Lucid or VinFast)

Blueboy67

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Performance Max Pack
Occupation
retired
R1T ranked 2nd. R1S ranked 6th.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...tisfying-cars-owner-satisfaction-a2239167129/

Edit: Yes, behind a paywall (sort of). Should be accessible with a free membership signup. Adding screenshots here.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 093745.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-19 093813.jpg
I have a Consumer Report's account, so I read the review. I mostly agree with them; however, I do feel (thankfully) the new 2023.50 OTA update has made a legitimate difference in how the regen works; and a positive one at that. Not only did my regen not go out yesterday on our hilly, cold test drive of the update, the R1T regen seemed less aggressive (smoother) in the slower stopping speeds as well. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will continue to remain true on future drives.

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 RT1, 23 Solterra, 05 4Runner, 77 FJ40, 70 FJ40
Occupation
farmer
Clubs

No tock (or tick for that matter) in my dual motor? Haven't found any issues, yet.

I bought a Model X in 2016 and drove it for 7 years and yes, it had all sorts of "idiosyncrasies", particularly in it's first year . These were easy enough to live with and until Toyota builds an all electric Taco, I'll enjoy my R1T.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The CR in-house ratings are:

Electric 3-Row SUVs
  1. Mercedes EQS
  2. Tesla Model X
  3. Rivian R1S
    (They have not yet tested Cadillac, Volvo, Kia, Lucid or VinFast)
Only one of those is an SUV, but allright CR.

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

Sponsored

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 RT1, 23 Solterra, 05 4Runner, 77 FJ40, 70 FJ40
Occupation
farmer
Clubs

Not that I do it often, but minimal noise, my Model X was louder changing heights

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

don't like having the heated seat control under two button presses.
I don't know what you mean, here. Heated seat control is always on the screen, so it only takes one press to turn it on high.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

But door handles? They're handles, that you pull on. They're leagues better than the "how does Elon think doors should work this week?" Tesla roulette wheel, and more or less "just doors with auto-presenting handles" otherwise. Does anyone really not like these?
My guess is that it relates to the delayed or inconsistent "auto-presenting handles" - which is a lot better now, with recent OTAs.
Sponsored