JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Today, we drove the Rivian from Centreville VA to Emerald Isle NC, 344 miles after a weekend of visiting the grandkids. Stop and roll traffic from Dumfries to Fredericksburg, then a 30 minute traffic jam just inside the NC line. 70 mph, traffic permitting, but I did stay out of the left lane. We stopped to charge for 21 minutes in Rocky Mount, while we grabbed a sandwich at Which Wich and went to the restroom. When I’d gotten the sandwiches and we’d been to the restroom, and let Zefram (the Labrador retriever) walk around and do “dog business” we unplugged and munched the sandwiches while driving, as we didn’t need any more power to get home. How much quicker is a stop with a gas car? Not much!

When I looked at the power consumption, we actually could have made the whole 344 mile trip without stopping or charging, as the battery is 130 kWh. But we’d have been sweating that 😜. Got home with 45% SoC. It’s going to be a sunny week so we’ll soak up excess sunshine from solar into the Rivian!

122 kWh at 10 cents per kWh is $12.20. For driving a pickup truck 344 miles. With $3.30 gas (VA and NC) that’s like 93 mpg. If I add in the 53 kWh for the charge at Electrify America and count 70 kWh at 10 cents, that’s $24.21, so roughly 46 mpg equivalent.

Rivian R1T R1S Could have made the 344 miles without stopping, but… 5FD94889-74C4-4238-80EA-168DD7D7923A

Rivian R1T R1S Could have made the 344 miles without stopping, but… 98EAEF7A-3E52-4D7A-9907-BE1BBDB588C4
Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Today, we drove the Rivian from Centreville VA to Emerald Isle NC, 344 miles after a weekend of visiting the grandkids. Stop and roll traffic from Dumfries to Fredericksburg, then a 30 minute traffic jam just inside the NC line. 70 mph, traffic permitting, but I did stay out of the left lane. We stopped to charge for 21 minutes in Rocky Mount, while we grabbed a sandwich at Which Wich and went to the restroom. When I’d gotten the sandwiches and we’d been to the restroom, and let Zefram (the Labrador retriever) walk around and do “dog business” we unplugged and munched the sandwiches while driving, as we didn’t need any more power to get home. How much quicker is a stop with a gas car? Not much!

When I looked at the power consumption, we actually could have made the whole 344 mile trip without stopping or charging, as the battery is 130 kWh. But we’d have been sweating that 😜. Got home with 45% SoC. It’s going to be a sunny week so we’ll soak up excess sunshine from solar into the Rivian!

122 kWh at 10 cents per kWh is $12.20. For driving a pickup truck 344 miles. With $3.30 gas (VA and NC) that’s like 93 mpg. If I add in the 53 kWh for the charge at Electrify America and count 70 kWh at 10 cents, that’s $24.21, so roughly 46 mpg equivalent.

5FD94889-74C4-4238-80EA-168DD7D7923A.jpeg

98EAEF7A-3E52-4D7A-9907-BE1BBDB588C4.jpeg
Solid efficiency

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Now I need pictures of Zefram.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
This is excellent, thank you for sharing. 2.8 mi/kwh is great!

We’re planning (well - I’m planning … my wife is simply planning to endure my plan) a trip from the bay area to Bishop so we can hike and 4x4 for a few days, snow-permitting, just before Thanksgiving. We’ll then stop off to see family in Tahoe before heading home for actual Turkey day. My daughter is overseas for college, so it’ll just be the 4 of us - Paco (the dog), my son, wife, and me.

Take the dog for his business, everyone getting in some stretching, food, bathroom breaks, etc. That’s how we rolled with ICE, and how we plan to continue to be with the Rivian.

I hear stories of people telling me they drive 1000 miles in a day with minimal stops (which is their reasoning for not getting an EV). It sounds so incredibly miserable.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
here’s Zefram in his happy spot…he loves being a beach dog…

1666017964386.jpeg
Yep, he looks like a Zefram. What a lucky Lab!

Tejkalra

First Name
Tejinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
This is excellent, thank you for sharing. 2.8 mi/kwh is great!

We’re planning (well - I’m planning … my wife is simply planning to endure my plan) a trip from the bay area to Bishop so we can hike and 4x4 for a few days, snow-permitting, just before Thanksgiving. We’ll then stop off to see family in Tahoe before heading home for actual Turkey day. My daughter is overseas for college, so it’ll just be the 4 of us - Paco (the dog), my son, wife, and me.

Take the dog for his business, everyone getting in some stretching, food, bathroom breaks, etc. That’s how we rolled with ICE, and how we plan to continue to be with the Rivian.

I hear stories of people telling me they drive 1000 miles in a day with minimal stops (which is their reasoning for not getting an EV). It sounds so incredibly miserable.
I will never do that kind of long stretch without stops, especially with kids.. Are you kidding me.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

When I’d gotten the sandwiches and we’d been to the restroom, and let Zefram (the Labrador retriever) walk around and do “dog business” we unplugged and munched the sandwiches while driving, as we didn’t need any more power to get home.
Props on the dog's name. :p As someone else said, now we need a pic of Zefram in the truck!

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T

5FD94889-74C4-4238-80EA-168DD7D7923A.jpeg

98EAEF7A-3E52-4D7A-9907-BE1BBDB588C4.jpeg
Nice, Joel!

I have 21s and drive in conserve as well and can confirm that I am getting similar numbers. Very happy with range performance so far.
Sponsored