Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I have a Shelter-Logic "Garage in a Box" and I am trying to figure out if there is a way that I can, somewhat easily, take the RTT off the truck and store it when I am not using it. That way it doesn't weather wear and the truck is more useable.

So, being that the "garage" is merely a few steel frames with a thick PVC tarp on them, I don't think I can reinforce it enough to deploy an actual ceiling hoist system, like I have seen a few people on here use (which I am extremely jealous of!).

My out-of-the-box idea is to see if I could use one of these: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200640934_200640934

This particular engine hoist specs that it can lift as high as 82", which "should" be enough if I put the truck in the lowest setting. I measured in All Purpose just now, and to the top of the iKamper Mini 3.0 is roughly 72"

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Leonbmx

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Do a search for “truck shell hoist garage storage” - you’ll see some decent commercial stuff, and a bunch of DIY. I considered doing this for the Leer on my Tundra.

If we get the RTT, I’ll be doing a hoist in the garage that will store nicely just above the open garage door snug to the ceiling. (we have 11’ ceilings in the garage, so YMMV)

OP
OP
Leonbmx

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Do a search for “truck shell hoist garage storage” - you’ll see some decent commercial stuff, and a bunch of DIY. I considered doing this for the Leer on my Tundra.

If we get the RTT, I’ll be doing a hoist in the garage that will store nicely just above the open garage door snug to the ceiling. (we have 11’ ceilings in the garage, so YMMV)
Thanks, I'll take a look. The problem with most of these is that they are ceiling mount options, which my structure is not strong enough to support, hence the floor based approach.

Something like this will work, but is a lot more than an engine hoist: https://topliftpros.com/products/jeep-gladiator-hardtop-removal-tool

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

watching this video makes me think ground tents are easier.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

watching this video makes me think ground tents are easier.
I had been just removing my tent with the crossbars still attached, but this last time I was fighting with one corner not wanting to release the latch. Something probably came loose, shifted, and put too much tension on it. I was in a hurry since the truck needed to go into service the next morning though, so it might have been a contributor.

OP
OP
Leonbmx

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

I had been just removing my tent with the crossbars still attached, but this last time I was fighting with one corner not wanting to release the latch. Something probably came loose, shifted, and put too much tension on it. I was in a hurry since the truck needed to go into service the next morning though, so it might have been a contributor.
I intend to keep the crossbars attached also, seems so much easier than undoing the clamps every time.

OP
OP
Leonbmx

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

Last edited:

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Crazy idea for removing and storing RTT PXL_20220919_003658511
Rivian R1T R1S Crazy idea for removing and storing RTT PXL_20220919_003948929

Sponsored

OP
OP
Leonbmx

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Can i get information on what system this is? i have high ceilings in the garage too and this would be perfect. All the ones i saw like this before were 4 motors. If you could get more pictures up close to the actual lift that would be great. Thanks for sharing.

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, that is my dream setup, however, I don’t have a garage, so I am looking for NON-ceiling mounted setups ;)
Can i get information on what system this is? i have high ceilings in the garage too and this would be perfect. All the ones i saw like this before were 4 motors. If you could get more pictures up close to the actual lift that would be great. Thanks for sharing.
https://armorautoparts.com/products/myl-kuh00-01-smart-universal-xl-hd-lifter?variant=31743120834638

I can try and get some better pictures tonight, but I kept the cross bars mounted to the tent so its easy to move on and off

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

https://armorautoparts.com/products/myl-kuh00-01-smart-universal-xl-hd-lifter?variant=31743120834638

I can try and get some better pictures tonight, but I kept the cross bars mounted to the tent so its easy to move on and off
Thanks for the quick reply. i plan on keeping the cross bars on too. i bought a second set just in case i need them for something else. Which Ikamper is that? i have the 2.0mini, and i think it's light enough to use in this setup since it holds up to 200lbs.