First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T Launch Edition, 22 Corvette C8 Z51 2LT HTC
Occupation
Software Engineer
Truck is awake. I’m guessing the new battery is physically installed now and they are trying to sync up the software versions between the battery and the truck. Looks like they are having a hard time with it.

Rivian R1T R1S Critical Battery Issue BD16FE24-59E5-4109-8756-76C3B10BB24B
Sponsored

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Truck is awake. I’m guessing the new battery is physically installed now and they are trying to sync up the software versions between the battery and the truck. Looks like they are having a hard time with it.

BD16FE24-59E5-4109-8756-76C3B10BB24B.png
10 minute software updates?! That would be awesome.

Good luck with getting the truck fixed up!

OP
OP
M4H4X

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Truck is charging! I’m guessing that means they got all the software synced up correctly. Feeling confident now they may complete the work soon.

Rivian R1T R1S Critical Battery Issue C91B4310-EFC3-4EFE-86E3-209E760D0784

OP
OP
M4H4X

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Update:

Rivian supposedly ”finished” the truck today and we’re supposed to deliver it.

The driver called me this evening and told me that as soon as he left the shop some “alert” came up on the display so he just carried it right back to the shop.

The truck couldn’t even make it home from the service center lmao.

So here we go again.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Update:

Rivian supposedly ”finished” the truck today and we’re supposed to deliver it.

The driver called me this evening and told me that as soon as he left the shop some “alert” came up on the display so he just carried it right back to the shop.

The truck couldn’t even make it home from the service center lmao.

So here we go again.
I'd much rather it happen while in their posession than them hand it back, and a few days later... While inconvenient, at least they're on it ;) 👌

Sponsored

OP
OP
M4H4X

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'd much rather it happen while in their posession than them hand it back, and a few days later... While inconvenient, at least they're on it ;) 👌
Yeah I agree. I’m glad it didn’t leave their possession either. Because they get another chance to fix it, and because there is only about thirteen more days in their possession and I can reach out to a lemon lawyer.

OP
OP
M4H4X

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Tick tock rivian. ⏰

Rivian R1T R1S Critical Battery Issue F156C0E8-3554-416D-BA21-09BDDF80CBE3

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Tick tock rivian. ⏰

F156C0E8-3554-416D-BA21-09BDDF80CBE3.jpeg
Not to rain on your Lightning parade but in my experience of admittedly a single data point each of the Lightning and the R1T is that the Rivian had considerably better initial quality and has had better service after the sale than my local Ford Dealer. While both trucks are new I will say that the Rivian Guides and Service seem more knowledgeable and capable of warranty repairs than Ford, which really isn't saying much as the Ford dealer could tell me virtually nothing regarding technical spec's of the truck if it wasn't printed on the window sticker and what they were able to tell me I know to be incorrect.
It's to bad you may have gotten a "lemon" from Rivian but IMO the chances of getting a lemon F-150 Lightning are even greater and I would worry more about your local Ford Dealer making things right if it goes south than Rivian.
This is not meant to dissuade you from the Lightning, It's a great truck and many "truck people" will prefer it over the R1T.
Hope you get your truck back s00n and your luck improves.

OP
OP
M4H4X

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Not to rain on your Lightning parade but in my experience of admittedly a single data point each of the Lightning and the R1T is that the Rivian had considerably better initial quality and has had better service after the sale than my local Ford Dealer. While both trucks are new I will say that the Rivian Guides and Service seem more knowledgeable and capable of warranty repairs than Ford, which really isn't saying much as the Ford dealer could tell me virtually nothing regarding technical spec's of the truck if it wasn't printed on the window sticker and what they were able to tell me I know to be incorrect.
It's to bad you may have gotten a "lemon" from Rivian but IMO the chances of getting a lemon F-150 Lightning are even greater and I would worry more about your local Ford Dealer making things right if it goes south than Rivian.
This is not meant to dissuade you from the Lightning, It's a great truck and many "truck people" will prefer it over the R1T.
I've been dealing with "my local ford dealer" for over a decade. Never had any issues with them, and they are on the "no ADM" list with Markups.org and the lightning forums.

Meanwhile my "Rivian Guide" has only ever contacted me once, and it took 3 escalation calls with Rivian Service to even get that one contact. I've had about a dozen different Ford vehicles in the past few decades ranging from Mustangs, GT 500's, F-150s, F-250s, etc... Never had a major failure.

My experience has been the opposite of yours. 😞

I'm still hoping that Rivian makes a turn-around for me. I'm just keeping my bases loaded just in case.

Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Have to agree as my one new Ford experience was horrible. Fought for lemon law since they couldn't fix the engine stalling in my new truck. Ford ended up voiding my warranty illegally and refused to do anything. Cheapest lawyer around wanted the cost of the truck as a retainer, despite everything being clearly documented. Even the state agency didn't want to go up against Ford, though they admitted the evidence/documentation I had was quite clearcut.
Turned out being an $8 vacuum hose that I replaced on my own, and then sold the truck. I will never own another Ford vehicle again. Even their early involvement in Rivian had me debating on purchasing a Rivian.

OP
OP
M4H4X

M4H4X

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Truck is back in my possession. Rivian said the “failure” yesterday was a hydraulic leak in the rear of the truck. Brakes maybe??? I’m not sure. Either way it was related to some components they had to move or disassemble during the battery pack replacement process.

They addressed all of my other issues while they had the extra time:

They lubed and re-torqued all of the cv shafts, adjusted the tail gate latch so it actually opened when pressed, moved the hood over slightly to align it better, and did the front end recall work.

The truck still tocks just as it did before when stopping/accelerating but they did not seem concerned about it.

I’ve lost a lot of trust in the vehicle but I’m hoping it turns around for me now.🤞

(I figure I have until Jan/Mar before the lightning delivery happens. I’ll probably just-buy it anyways and sort it out/compare before making the decision on which is for me.) I’m just glad to have an electric truck at all right now.

EDIT:

Just in case you are curious here is the section of the invoice regarding the battery failure:
Rivian R1T R1S Critical Battery Issue 8038DBB1-1899-4E14-9287-C4478C18EE50

Looks like they replaced both the HV pack and the 2 LV batteries.

Last edited:

backfist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm in your boat! Left the Denver RSC after it went into turtle mode on the highway previously. "All good to go."

Twenty minutes later I am parked in a Toyota dealership and it won't go into Drive or Park.

Hard reset does nothing.

Multiple error messages started popping up unit it completely dies in the closest parking slot to the building.

Three hours later the tow truck and mobile service arrived.

Left on a flatbed and Rivian set me up with a rental.

Twenty percent of the 600 miles on the truck are from the service center,

There were a lot of curious Toyota customers and sales people admiring the truck...until they saw it being towed away.

Averaging one component failure message a week over four weeks, to include suspension and motor malfunctions. Service center and engineering weren't able to replicate or figure it out. But, they assured me it was safe to drive!

I guess that was true...for twenty minutes.

Good luck with your repair!
Latest update: Received the call yesterday to pick up the truck today after they replaced the rear drive unit.

This morning I received the call that it tossed another error message after the repair and I should not turn in my rental car yet as they needed to examine this latest fault.

This is getting old.

I suggested that my original truck becomes a service loaner or test drive machine and they replace mine with another less problematic truck.

No response...
Sponsored