Sponsored

CyberTruck is more than Stainless Steel...Tesla excels at Engineering in so many ways.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Okay.. this IMO takes the cake for really poor design!

The drive selector buttons are up at the ceiling above the rear view mirror (mirror not shown in this video)!! Try reaching those buttons with a heavy winter jacket on..

Rivian R1T R1S CyberTruck is more than Stainless Steel...Tesla excels at Engineering in so many ways. 1701457991529

And if true, even worse- according to this reviewer (at the 20m45sec mark) the rear view mirror (again not shown in this video) is not electronic and does not have a rear facing camera feed so when the tonneau is closed the mirror is 100% obscured. The reviewer goes on to say the rear view while underway is displayed on the main vehicle screen (meaning you have to look down from the road to see it).

Sponsored

Last edited:

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The Tesla is the towing king because payload is what counts when towing heavy . My Airstream has a 1,000# tongue weight. My R1T has a 1,700# payload. This leaves only 700# for passengers and cargo. This is barely adequate. The 2,500# payload of the Tesla makes it the top dog right now.

Brian
Waiting for someone to reply with - "but those are Elon pounds!!!"

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE

The drive selector buttons are up at the ceiling above the rear view mirror (mirror not shown in this video)!! Try reaching those buttons with a heavy winter jacket on..

1701457991529.png

And if true, even worse- according to this reviewer (at the 20m45sec mark) the rear view mirror (again not shown in this video) is not electronic and does not have a rear facing camera feed so when the tonneau is closed the mirror is 100% obscured. The reviewer goes on to say the rear view while underway is displayed on the main vehicle screen (meaning you have to look down from the road to see it).

His video was the most balanced of the ones I've seen so far. It was a pretty normal review for him, unlike the others that are Tesla Ads. He even said the side mirrors are meant to be removed. It's clear they had the design idea that you wouldn't need the rear or side mirrors.

As a tall person, I really like the idea of getting rid of the center mirror, but I'm not sure if the image on the screen will be able to replace it for a few reasons. It doesn't show depth of field like your eyes can; SW freezes sometimes; 1 rain drop can make the view unusable. So, we'll see how that goes.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Waiting for someone to reply with - "but those are Elon pounds!!!"
That can't be "Elon Pounds". The federal government monitors and certifies payload figures.

Brian

Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
I honestly haven't been following the Cybertruck's development. I remember hearing years ago it would be pretty cheap and have 500 miles of range though. Can't say i'm super surprised given Musk's track record. Seems like a big "meh" of an announcement given the promises. I hope the customers are happy with their trucks. At least it's different.

Sponsored

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark

1701457991529.png

One other thing i thought was interesting in that video. When measuring the bed, he said its 6ft, but there is like a 6 inch "overhang" so really its a 66" bed. I'm curious what he means by that as its hard to make out what's going on with the angles in the back of the bed. Between that and the fact that the bed is narrower than the R1T and Lightning plus the horrific sail design, the bed is looking less and less like the advantage many have touted it as.

tosehee

First Name
Se Hee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Dumb question. If I get into a minor accident, how easy is it to repair? I guess the minor accident where I'd normally repair or replace. But not too minor where it doesn't have any dents..

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Dumb question. If I get into a minor accident, how easy is it to repair? I guess the minor accident where I'd normally repair or replace. But not too minor where it doesn't have any dents..
Might be a mixed bag. Damaged panels will likely be unable to be repaired, but the way they mount, you should be able to replace them pretty easily. Now, if the giant castings of a frame get damaged .. you are looking at minor things totalling the truck.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S

The drive selector buttons are up at the ceiling above the rear view mirror (mirror not shown in this video)!!
That's just lazy and dumb.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
The huge mistake is not jettisoning Musk’s ridiculous design. The truck has no tech I particularly feel the need for and certainly none that I lust after but even if it did I couldn’t stomach having to walk up to the thing and be seen in it every day. Design is superficial and yet makes it an immediate hard pass. A design that screams look at me might be cool for a certain crowd for a little bit but assuming their are enough people that actually want them, having to see them everywhere is really going to get tiresome. People forget that many in the audience when it was first revealed thought it was Elon’s idea of a joke.
What will you say when the CT sells well?

Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Might be a mixed bag. Damaged panels will likely be unable to be repaired, but the way they mount, you should be able to replace them pretty easily. Now, if the giant castings of a frame get damaged .. you are looking at minor things totalling the truck.
If people are shocked at the price of Rivian fender-benders this will be in the same range. Stuff that may be easy to do on an assembly line can be a nightmare on a one-off basis.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
I imagine any damage that is outside of the realm of paintless dent repair will require full panel replacement.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I find it interesting to watch how the CT criticism has evolved. Went from vaporware to now that we see some pretty impressive features and specs that it's "not something they invented" or "not everything they promised" or "wont be that useful yet."

As an R1T owner and someone who has never owned a Tesla, I'm not a Tesla fan boy, nor am I a Tesla hater like many of those here. I'm just a consumer that looks at both hard facts/features as well as personal taste. So since personal taste is subjective, I'm going to limit my observations to just specs based on what I've seen.

3 motor Cybertruck vs Quad R1T with AT wheels (closest match)

CT is better at:
1. speed / performance
2. steering
3. better bed (longer, better mounting points, actual auto Tonneau cover that exists and is stronger than the one that came on the original R1T)
4. Onboard power (by a lot)
5. Durability - let's be real, the R1T material is super thin and fragile.
6. Road noise / ride quality - only going off this video, so reserve the right to change my opinion, but the R1T has more squeaks and rattles than any new car I've ever own.
7. Range - by a lot (again quad R1T with AT vs 3-motor CT)

R1T is better at:
1. Internal storage - (tunnel, trunk, under rear seat). However, I would probably say overall storage is a tie
2. Extras like on-board air, flashlight, camp speaker
3. Spare tire storage and/or extra storage instead

Everything else I'd say is super subjective or I don't know yet and I won't comment on. Things that I'm not sure yet that I'd be interested to learn/see who is better at is:
1. off road capabilities
2. charge performance
3. rear seat head room
4. interior comfort
5. the logistics of that range extender. how easy to remove? can you rent it?

End of day, the CY appears to be extremely impressive. Anyone that just shits on it is more emotional than analytical (which is fine).
You're not wrong. I'm eating some crow myself on it. The cybertruck is a pretty impressive vehicle and from a usability standpoint it might be pretty good. The steering and faster charging not to mention upgraded speed are a pretty nice feature.

That super long front would be a pain to get used to though and I'd for sure have to test drive one before considering buying it.
Sponsored