Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Disclaimer- I live in Phoenix where it’s pretty warm right now.
However, the 5 other cars in my household: 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee, 2017Jeep wrangler, 2014 Ford Escape, 2017 Porsche Cayman and 2014 Tesla model S blow COLD air within 3-5 mins of driving-even in 110+ heat.

Engineers: Please redesign the AC so that it:
1. Cools the cabin properly within 5 mins (yes, recirculate is on and temp is set to 72F, but air is barely cool). Even after driving for 15 mins Air from vents is not particularly cool.
2. Doesn‘t make a loud weed trimmer noise. It’s embarrassing to drive what should be a “cool” vehicle that makes the weed trimmer noise. It’s pretty clear the compressor is trying unsuccessfully to cool the cabin, but can’t.
3. Please test the AC in extreme temps to evaluate performance of the system.

That’s it! That’s all I am asking. Otherwise, I am reasonably happy with my R1S.
Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Are you sure your a/c is working properly? While I’m not in Phoenix, my truck easily blows cold air in 90 degree humid Midwest heat. If the actual air coming out of your vents isn’t cold, that sounds like something is wrong.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Are you sure your a/c is working properly? While I’m not in Phoenix, my truck easily blows cold air in 90 degree humid Midwest heat. If the actual air coming out of your vents isn’t cold, that sounds like something is wrong.
I think you have a different definition of hot than the OP. 90° is nearly 30° cooler than the OP's high tomorrow. 119f high in Phoenix tomorrow according to Google.

If your AC is reducing the temperature by 30°, the air coming out of your vents will be 60°, and the the air coming out of the OP's vents will be 90°.

Last edited:

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

There's been several posts about one of the HVAC tubes being disconnected under the center of the dash - if you're hearing extra noise/blowing coming from somewhere around the front center speaker grille that might be part of the problem

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cactus

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

In the morning when I pull out of my 95 degree garage, the AC gets reasonably cool/cold after 2-3 mins on my 15 min drive to work. Unfortunately I can’t park in covered parking at work, so the car is very warm in the afternoon. It just can’t cool down on the 15-20 min drive home. Note: I have photo sync plus tinting on all windows (best UV and IR rejection available).

On a 115 degree day earlier this week I drove my model S to and from work. Although the air itself doesnt blow very hard in that car, it’s cold air within a few mins on way home.

So, since the R1S is capable of blowing cool/cold air when the car is not vey warm (95F), I think it is functioning to the best of its capability. However, I think the AC needs to be re-engineered (title of thread) to work better in hot climates like other vehicles do. I would pay for an improved AC retrofit because otherwise, I like the vehicle.

OP
OP
Cactus

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

There's been several posts about one of the HVAS tubes being disconnected under the center of the dash - if you're hearing extra noise/blowing coming from somewhere around the front center speaker grille that might be part of the problem
Will have it checked. SC appt in a month.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Disclaimer- I live in Phoenix where it’s pretty warm right now.
However, the 5 other cars in my household: 2014 Jeep grand Cherokee, 2017Jeep wrangler, 2014 Ford Escape, 2017 Porsche Cayman and 2014 Tesla model S blow COLD air within 3-5 mins of driving-even in 110+ heat.

Engineers: Please redesign the AC so that it:
1. Cools the cabin properly within 5 mins (yes, recirculate is on and temp is set to 72F, but air is barely cool). Even after driving for 15 mins Air from vents is not particularly cool.
2. Doesn‘t make a loud weed trimmer noise. It’s embarrassing to drive what should be a “cool” vehicle that makes the weed trimmer noise. It’s pretty clear the compressor is trying unsuccessfully to cool the cabin, but can’t.
3. Please test the AC in extreme temps to evaluate performance of the system.

That’s it! That’s all I am asking. Otherwise, I am reasonably happy with my R1S.
Open a ticket something is not right with your system, maybe too much pressure.

I was in the Palm Springs area the last 2 days, was 119 today and close to that yesterday. The AC had no problem keeping the cabin cool in my R1S and I have no after market tint on any windows.

I also was not running it on max fan so pretty sure I could have made it even colder if I wanted too.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

temp is set to 72F,
Don't do that. Set the temp to low if you want it to blow cold air. The temperature set point is really garbage and i wouldn't trust it.

Also, after the compressor ramps up and starts blowing cold air, turn the ac off, let it sit for like 30 seconds, and then turn it back on. Typically that solves the compressor running at max.

Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
It's my understanding the R1S has a second A/C unit near the right rear quarter panel to cool the third row? Can anyone confirm? I was also told that it only functions when 3rd row passengers are detected? This was told to me while looking at one of the old zebra wrapped testers in late 2021 or early 2022, but not sure of this made I to production.

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S Launch Edition, ‘20 eTron Chronos Edition
Clubs

Live in Vegas and having same issue as OP. Going to make an SC appointment. Will see what they say, but my guess is “operating as intended.” Love my R1S, but I agree the very high pitched whine of the compressor is very annoying - and attention grabbing at stoplights in the worst way 🤦🏻‍♂️

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
My R1T could get cold in the Texas heat but it took a fair bit to cool down and was very loud. Embarrassingly loud. I think a redesign is certainly in order.

I was very impressed with the cabin insulation once it got cold though.

Last edited:

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Echoing @Craigins the temperature setpoints are not accurate particularly when ambient temps are much higher or lower than setpoint. Try setting to 60 vs. 72.
My unscientific take on the noise is that it may not be much louder than some other compressors but is higher pitch. I believe mounting the compressor on better isolators and connecting the lines with more flexible connections could reduce the decibels and or pitch so it doesn't sound like a "weed-whacker".

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
In the morning when I pull out of my 95 degree garage, the AC gets reasonably cool/cold after 2-3 mins on my 15 min drive to work. Unfortunately I can’t park in covered parking at work, so the car is very warm in the afternoon. It just can’t cool down on the 15-20 min drive home. Note: I have photo sync plus tinting on all windows (best UV and IR rejection available).
You don't say anything about pre-cooling your vehicle, so 15-20 minutes doesn't surprise me. Tint will not help with temperature if your vehicle is sitting for hours on end, it will only help to slow the inevitable heating of the cabin.

You need to be pre-cooling for at least 15 minutes IMO before getting in your vehicle after work.
Sponsored