Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I wanted to see what other Coloradans do in terms of seasonal tire swap outs. We've been in Denver for 9 years now and swap out our regular "summer" tires with winter tires (Blizzaks that aren't AT) for Oct-April for both of our SUVs. We know it helps with traction not only when we drive to the mtns. for skiing (and legally required) but also for city driving during snow/icy days.

We ordered R1S with 20" AT and wondering if we should switch these out for spring/summer/fall tires or just leave them on all year saving me time and money and finding space in our smallish garage? That would be my ideal scenario but wondering what others do with AT tires- do you swap them out for summer tires or leave them on all year? I'm not worried about the range hit as much.
For what itā€™s worth Iā€™m not in Colorado, but Manitobaā€¦.there is 48ā€ of snow in my yard right now and it was 20 below this morning.

Iā€™m planning on using the 20ā€ AT year round. I know maybe 2 people with trucks/large SUVs who bother to use a dedicated winter tire over an all-terrain with severe service(mountain+snowflake) rating.

I have never seen anyone switch to all terrains from a more road biased 3 season tire for winter.

I would love a saddle tan interior, too. I don't like black (I live in the devil's furnace: Phoenix. It's perfect now but June - October is HOT). I like the wood color of Forest Edge, but not sure I like the green seats. Reminds me too much of the 1970s (avacodo and the green interior/exterior of my parent's ford gran torino station wagon). I really want to see them in person before making a final decision. I pre-ordered an R1S in Sept 2019, so I hope to see some R1Ts pretty soon.
FYI the green upholstery of forest edge is more of a grey green. More agave than avocado, but still quite green. It is very nice. Havenā€™t seen a full FE interior in person but have seen samples.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

We have two Bronco Sports running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W and they're great. They're not as grippy on ice as a dedicated winter or ice-rated tire, but they outperform winter tires in most other aspects. So far, they're much superior in deeper snow or slush vs. the Blizzaks on our Explorer or the Sottozero Winters on our Model Y. The Y with the Sottozeros just handles wonderfully but the weight and low and square center of gravity does a lot there and yet it struggles in 3" of slushy crap to find traction because the tire treads, even the sipings, pack full and then you have icy slick tires. Just have to say that I have zero desire to swap out these AT3Ws for dedicated winter tires. I'm hoping the Scorpion ATs on the Rivian perform similarly.
Maybe the Sottozero just suck too? I've run some cheap Hankook winters on my Subaru STi and Michelin X-ice Xi3 on a Forester XT. Both vehicles were like tanks on winter tires...almost to the point of making them not fun because it was much harder to slide them around. The AT3W are okay...but on my 4Runner they just aren't great in the slushy, icy mess that the roads turn into. Yes, they're fantastic in deep snow...no question. But the rubber compound is just a really hard all-season compound that turns into a hockey puck at low temperatures. The voids and siping help in deep snow, but all that adds up to crappy performance in slush. The braking performance is the worst compared against actual winter rubber. For reference, I've done my share of ice racing on Georgetown lake and the difference between Continental DWS on my STi and the Hankook winters was huge. When I tried the 4Runner on the AT3W, it was as bad or worse than the DWS on ice.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots moreā€¦
Occupation
Software Developer
Maybe the Sottozero just suck too? I've run some cheap Hankook winters on my Subaru STi and Michelin X-ice Xi3 on a Forester XT. Both vehicles were like tanks on winter tires...almost to the point of making them not fun because it was much harder to slide them around. The AT3W are okay...but on my 4Runner they just aren't great in the slushy, icy mess that the roads turn into.
Nah, the Sottozeros are great. In most of our winter conditions they grip the road and are very tank-like. Actually perform very much the same as the X-Ice in my experience. I've had Sottozeros on a couple other cars and they've been great on all. On our Model Y, they're phenomenal in most conditions, but then again the traction control, weight and low centered mass just makes Teslas (or any EV's really) phenomenal in winter conditions.

As for the AT3W's, I've found ice or the thin layers of slush we often get to be the most problematic for those tires, but they still handle OK. Actually better than OK, but my only experience with that particular tire is on our Bronco Sports, so definitely limited exposure. The 4Runner is a different beast. Bigger, heavier, should be using a larger sized tire, etc..

Will be interesting to see how the R1T with Scorpion ATs handles....

Sponsored

soumak

First Name
Soumak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
I was at the Colorado rivian service center today for the very first time. Went there just to see how many rivian they had. I got there and there were a bunch of people there. Looks like they were doing an open service center event! It was supposed to be for the first 125 rivian reservation holders in Denver but they let me in. I was able to sit inside the rivian, front and back, check out the tent accessories and go for a ride along! They also took us through a trip of the rivian delivery center. Iā€™m so glad that they did this. The fit and finish were all very good, the trucks looked awesome. The one I was in had about 1200 miles on it. Based on range using conservative driving mode it looked like range was about 298 at 100% which is just shy of epa 314.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I also went to the service center today, without a reservation, they let me in no problem. Talked a lot to the technicians. I will follow up more when I am on a keyboard... Nearly 40 launch edition trucks for delivery, they all appeared to have the 20 AT rim tire. All had black interior. There was one new Rivian service vehicle, launch green in with forest edge interior. I hate the pictures of the forest edge that is on the Rivian website, but looks much better in person.

Pics!!! Enjoy

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_152452

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_141446

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132413

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132340

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132323

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132304

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132240

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132226

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132037

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132028

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132020

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220312_132014

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220305_193351

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 20220305_193346

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Not sure this post belongs here, or in some other thread. Mods, if you feel you need to move it somewhere else, please, go ahead.

My observations, ramblings, and other thoughts about the R1T, to go with my above pics. They did not have a R1S on site.

As mentioned above, they are not allowed to have any test drives edit: at the Colorado Service Center yet, as they are in still in the process of getting their dealers license. Which might explain why the service center isnt physically open to the public, and why no one was allowed to drive one of the trucks today.

They had 2 nearly identical trucks for the ride alongs today, one was in forest green, the other was in puke... I mean LG (yes I am a hater of the LG, sorry guys). I got to ride in the LG truck, and when I first got to it, I could not get the power seat on the passneger side to work. No idea why, and I just thought the seat was already down, which means I had a EXTREMELY hard time getting in and out of the truck (I have 5 blown discs). But once the test drive was complete, the seat worked, and moved down. maybe the truck had powered everything into standby while I was talking to Tim, the chauffer? On the test drive, the vehicle was in normal mode, at normal height. The regenerative braking system is OMG aggressive. The entire test drive, the driver never used the brake pedal, and this was in NORMAL mode. There is one setting thats even more aggressive! No lower settings available. The chauffer did give it the beans (I dont think it was to the floor, but it was close), and it got up to speed freaking quick! Made my wife squeal a little bit, and she later complained that he left her stomach at the stop sign on the test drive! I am a motor head, so this is important to me! None of the trucks on display, or on the ride along had the gear shuttle, or kitchen.

The gear tunnel is easily large enough to put 2 or 3, 6 year old kids in. There are sensors in the gear tunnel that detect when something alive is in there thou. Not sure how that tech works.

The black is STUNNING. I hate black on vehicles, makes me think its either some sort of government vehicle, or a funeral procession vehicle. But it was stunning on the Rivian. I still wouldnt get it, but it was beautiful.
The Riv Blue is also beautiful, but I dont really care for Pastels.
The darker grey they had one the lot, I dont know if it was Lime or ElCap, but it was also a beautiful color.
The white.. Is white.. Not for me.
The best color, in my opinion, is the Forest Green. Apsolutely Stunning, beautiful, crisp, clean.. Just breathtaking.
All that said, I am sticking with the LA Silver. In the grand scheme of things, its still the easiest to keep clean, and hides chips fairly well.

If the truck had been built with a full length center console, I would not be even looking at one. The way I sit, because of my back, I would not be able to have the full length center console.

The Meridian sound system is AWESOME. The truck I was in had some pre-loaded music on board, and one of the tracks was Pink Floyd (my favorite artist), Shine On You Crazy Diamond. It sounded perfect, crystal, no distortion. I can confirm that the observation about the sound system being completely different when any door is open, is absolutely true!

The technician I talked to confirmed that the SOS system is strictly cellular based. UnLike OnStar, and the same thing offered by some other brands, are both cellular, and satellite based. They are currently working on a spare tire loaner system, where they come out, change your tire with one of their stock, and meet with you at a later date when the tire/rim is fixed/replaced, and put it back on your truck. There is a setting in the system you have to enable before any lifting of the vehicle can be done, due to the air suspension. The Denver SC has a full wash, and 2 detail bays. And trucks are only being hand washed, before going into the PDI bay for full detail. They did get the electrified bed cover fixed with a firmware update.

The wood panels in the dash and on the doors are actual, real, Ash wood! Although this is cool, it also is a detractor for me. Jaguar, Rolls Royce, TVR, and a few other auto manufacture have used wood in years past, and it never lasts. I wish they had finished it in some sort of preserving veneer, as its in a near raw form, and I question how well it will stand the test of time, heat cycles, and oil fingers thru the years.

Under the front of each seat is a pop-out small glove box. Since there is not one in the dash, I am glad of this. Still would like a locking glove box, or center console.

My wife did not like the truck, which is OK, since this isnt for her! She is quite a bit shorter than I am, and the seats came out to far, and made the sitting position on her legs very uncomfortable.

I am sure I will have more later.. Just had to unload my thoughts somewhere.

Couple more pics... (dont let me ugly mug break your screen!)

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today IMG_20220312_134310

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today IMG_20220312_134441

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today IMG_20220312_135020

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today IMG_20220312_141349

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today IMG_20220312_141351

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today IMG_20220312_143131

Last edited:

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
As mentioned above, they are not allowed to have any test drives in Colorado yet, as they are in still in the process of getting their dealers license. Which might explain why the service center isnt physically open to the public, and why no one was allowed to drive one of the trucks today.
Not sure where you got your info but I did a test drive in Denver earlier this month.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
The dealer/service center itself isnt allowed to do them...

Per the dealer/service center general manager.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Thanks for sharing your thoughts And pics, @TollKeeper ! Looks like a fun day!

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Drove by a few minutes ago on my way to Sunday coffee. Way more than 21 ?
Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today 8AB84A89-5B5D-4C79-9A11-81C2B7A0A2D1

Rivian R1T R1S Denver service center received 21 R1T Today D4E8E3E4-3247-4BBB-86D9-308E91DCA2F5

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Anyone know if could drive by and check out color options tomorrow on Sunday? Need to confirm my color choice!

Sattman69

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜19 4Runner Limited, toytec lift & power brakes
Occupation
Consult/Project Manager
I drove by on Friday on my way out of town. They had virtually every color: yellow, red, granite, silver, white, black, blue & green. Only one each yellow, red, white. Iā€™ll be back again Sunday night and can report.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
Not sure its the best idea personally (while they're closed) but I would assume you'll be on camera from multiple angles and I would try to keep my distance from each vehicle. Yes maybe overkill but showing respect to others trucks should be observed.

My worthless internet 2 cents
Sponsored