Sponsored

Do Inflatable Jacks Work?

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Does anyone have any experience with an inflatable jack (example) under a Rivian? I have a bottle jack, but even with sliders it would be difficult to operate on a slope. These pillows rated up to 4T and can be hooked up to onboard compressor, so should work in theory..
Sponsored

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
Ive changed many tires in my day, but def. Iā€™m no expert. After I did a tire rotation with the scissor jack, I purchased an airbag jack. I like it as it has a big surface for jack pucks. I tested it the other day and at full extension it didnā€™t quit get me off the ground. Two stacks of 2x10s solved that. Although it is a stable setup i would still slide a tire or other jack stand method under frame edge for backup. For context I am on 20 with OEM ATs. This is the one I purchased:
Rivian R1T R1S Do Inflatable Jacks Work? IMG_1275

Glongo

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S; Cayenne Hybrid; Sprinter
Occupation
Homebuilding
Or were you referring to the off-road bags?

Sponsored

yetti96

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad w/ Large Compass Yellow, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Or were you referring to the off-road bags?
They linked an off-road bag that be filled via compressor or exhaust, but that doesn't really work with a Rivian; no exhaust, and the onboard compressor is pressure-based and not great at volume. I am imagining they are thinking on trails and something safer than a bottle jack on unsteady ground.
The bag would distribute the load over a wider area, but officially I bet Rivian says not a good idea.

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

They linked an off-road bag that be filled via compressor or exhaust, but that doesn't really work with a Rivian; no exhaust, and the onboard compressor is pressure-based and not great at volume. I am imagining they are thinking on trails and something safer than a bottle jack on unsteady ground.
The bag would distribute the load over a wider area, but officially I bet Rivian says not a good idea.
Correct, I'm looking for a more practical alternative to my bottle jack if I need to lift up a corner on uneven terrain.

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

It also hasnt specified if vehicle has underbody shield or not... I definitely wouldnt use one of these without sliders because the side plastic bits would just get crushed, but if the underbody shield is able to take point loading from rock crawling and stuff, i dont see why not.

There's also a huge stability issue with the offroad airbags, especially if you put them in the center of the vehicle while changing a tire, its like balancing an elephant on a basketball so I'm sure they're covering themselves in terms of liability there as well.

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

It also hasnt specified if vehicle has underbody shield or not... I definitely wouldnt use one of these without sliders because the side plastic bits would just get crushed, but if the underbody shield is able to take point loading from rock crawling and stuff, i dont see why not.

There's also a huge stability issue with the offroad airbags, especially if you put them in the center of the vehicle while changing a tire, its like balancing an elephant on a basketball so I'm sure they're covering themselves in terms of liability there as well.
I have RUS + sliders installed. I agree with you on stability, this is precisely why I'm looking for alternatives to my current setup..

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
If high voltage insulated gloves are needed to lift your Rivian (and I can't think of why Rivian is recommending this) then they should be provided with the spare tire and jack kit. Depending on the the way one interprets the wording of the manual Rivian is recommending the use of a high voltage insulated jack. I do not however read anything that would prevent the use of an airbag jack provided lifting force is applied only (or predominantly) to the lifting points shown.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I've used various compressors (like ARB which is identical to the Rivian one) and this won't be feasible as they are high pressure but low volume. The times I tried inflating camp matresses, it took forever.

Bottle jacks work second best off road and have saved me many times. Only a HiLift is better but unusable on a Rivian without real sliders. Never use a scissor jack as they are super hazardous.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
There is at least one stabilizing base commercially available that is designed to set under a bottle jack. Safejacks sells one.

OP
OP
quartz

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

I've used various compressors (like ARB which is identical to the Rivian one) and this won't be feasible as they are high pressure but low volume. The times I tried inflating camp matresses, it took forever.

Bottle jacks work second best off road and have saved me many times. Only a HiLift is better but unusable on a Rivian without real sliders. Never use a scissor jack as they are super hazardous.
I like the extra utility of the HiLift, but I'm not sure if it will even work with R1T on sliders.. plus, the added risk of operating at near the recommended weight limits makes me think there are safer alternatives that don't have the possibility of permanent injury.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I have a lift-mate to go with the hi-lift; it hooks onto the wheel spokes for a much more stable lifting point.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Yea Hi lifts have a tendency to lean in to the body and do damage unless you are lifting from an off road bumper. Straight axle trucks are nice as you can just put a bottle jack under the axle and lift a little to get a wheel off the ground. Ifs irs are always more problematic
Sponsored