Sponsored

Efficiency

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

If you're after efficiency, then high regen and a smooth driving style that avoids the friction brakes is required...
Just so you know, high regen actually is less efficient than lower regen on highway driving. Also controlling the accelerator pedal as you slowdown, rather than just letting the high regen just slow the vehicle down.

While regen charges the batteries, the motor is constantly being oscillated between high-low current flow resulting in transient condition. The result is a spike in power consumption thoughout.

It would be more efficient if Rivian had a low regen setting rather than standard, to allow the vehicle to coast without slowing the vehicle down too much and slow acceleration to minimize the motor transient power spikes. You are right that smooth driving is also a key.
Sponsored

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
While regen charges the batteries, the motor is constantly being oscillated between high-low current flow resulting in transient condition. The result is a spike in power consumption thoughout.
Uh, you'll need to provide more explanation of this statement.

I haven't done any testing of high vs standard regen and efficiency. I figured Rivian defaults to high regen since it's the most efficient and would help avoid complaints about not meeting range expectations. Why would they not have the drive mode defaults set to the most efficient setting?

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Uh, you'll need to provide more explanation of this statement.

I haven't done any testing of high vs standard regen and efficiency. I figured Rivian defaults to high regen since it's the most efficient and would help avoid complaints about not meeting range expectations. Why would they not have the drive mode defaults set to the most efficient setting?
If I recall, when I took deliver the default was standard and I switched to high. Did they change the default?

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Ah, interesting. Mine was high when delivered so I assumed that was the default.

Checking the Owner's Manual, you are absolutely correct since it says that the default is Standard for all modes except for Snow and Soft Sand.

JPC

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Limestone - Forest Edge - 21"
Yeeesh my efficiency is terrible by comparison. Lifetime of the vehicle at 1000 miles is 1.7. About 600 of that was a roadtrip with my R1S fully loaded, going around 85 most of the time -- got 1.75 on that trip. Mostly short drives beyond that.

Reactions: sub

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Local short drives and hills are what kills my efficiency

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
It’s not a Tesla. If you expect that efficiency you’ll be disappointed.

It‘s much bigger and heavier. The OP’s efficiency is on target. The range is due to the size of the battery pack.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It’s not a Tesla. If you expect that efficiency you’ll be disappointed.

It‘s much bigger and heavier. The OP’s efficiency is on target. The range is due to the size of the battery pack.
Bingo. My MINI got over 4 mi/kWh in good weather. I knew going in the R1 would be around half the efficiency of my MINI. But it's also around 3x as efficient as my 4Runner was (assuming standard conversion to mpge).

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I'm at 1850 miles in with my r1s with efficicency of 2.09. 21" wheels With 400 miles of conserve mode driving. ( I got about 2.4 kwh with that trip). Yeap, Short trips will definitely kill the efficiency

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

I'm at 1850 miles in with my r1s with efficicency of 2.09. 21" wheels With 400 miles of conserve mode driving. ( I got about 2.4 kwh with that trip). Yeap, Short trips will definitely kill the efficiency
Wouldn't do a lot of conserve mode driving unless its on highways. It'll wear your tires out much quicker.

I'm on 21s without aerocovers. Installed running boards from EV sportsline.

Pre running boards - avg of 2.2 kWh efficiency over 5000 miles.

Since last reset with a mix of city and highway, I think I'm around 2-2.1 kWh efficiency, need to check it. But its over a small range (like 120 miles including 2 days of heaving rain).

Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Wouldn't do a lot of conserve mode driving unless its on highways. It'll wear your tires out much quicker.

I'm on 21s without aerocovers. Installed running boards from EV sportsline.

Pre running boards - avg of 2.2 kWh efficiency over 5000 miles.

Since last reset with a mix of city and highway, I think I'm around 2-2.1 kWh efficiency, need to check it. But its over a small range (like 120 miles including 2 days of heaving rain).
Yea. That was all highway on that trip on conserve mode. I only use all purpose mode when driving in town.
BTW. So no efficiency diff with the running board? I have one on ordered but who knows when I supposed to received it. Supposed to by april but didn't hear anything from them

Lizardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Clubs

Yea. That was all highway on that trip on conserve mode. I only use all purpose mode when driving in town.
BTW. So no efficiency diff with the running board? I have one on ordered but who knows when I supposed to received it. Supposed to by april but didn't hear anything from them

Still early for efficiency. I think if I hit 500-1000 miles, it'll be a better judge of any changes and avg out for all driving, etc.

Had a highway drive of about 90 miles and it said it was like 2.4? kWh. AP mode.

Haven't driven in conserve mode really.

Operator

First Name
Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm at 1000 miles. 1.8 mi/kwh. Running all purpose mode. Jealous of the folks getting 2

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I'm at 1000 miles. 1.8 mi/kwh. Running all purpose mode. Jealous of the folks getting 2
I think the reason that I got above 2. is because my wife drive it the most. If It was me, it would be sub 2 for sure since I drive like an ass.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Not sure what was going on for me yesterday, but I drove 30min and saw the batt gettin up to temp and was approaching 2.2-2.4.

1.5hrs later on the way home (after parking for game), the efficiency bottomed out at 1.1 for like 10min!

Almost as bad as towing, but I was just driving.

75-77 degrees outside. WTF?
Sponsored