Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

@EV Sportline - I am order 11301. Any way I can add on $199 and get it shipped to ATL for install?

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 M3P, 2021 Audi SQ5
Occupation
CISO
Clubs

Seems that the rusting issue is all too common and possibly not a "one off" or "solved issue". I have about 100 miles on my sliders and they are already rusting. These are from the latest batch.

I know that EVSportline will warranty them, but they won't warranty my 1/2 of day of labor replacing the rusted ones and disposal of the old ones.

Quite frustrating...

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months 1000012436

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months 1000020702

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I appreciate bitching and moaning as much as the next guy* but can’t you all just get a can of Hammerite or POR15 and just fix this yourselves?

*I really don’t

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Seems that the rusting issue is all too common and possibly not a "one off" or "solved issue". I have about 100 miles on my sliders and they are already rusting. These are from the latest batch.

I know that EVSportline will warranty them, but they won't warranty my 1/2 of day of labor replacing the rusted ones and disposal of the old ones.

Quite frustrating...

1000012436.jpg

1000020702.jpg
Yes, apologies here - FYI there is a quick(er) an easy solve option too - this slider rust you're seeing is surface rust from "inside the tube", not a powder coat issue (any small pinhole or edge gap in weld can allow water to get 'inside the tube', we're adding a new production QC step to inspect against this). The rust stain can be washed off...and a dab of silicone can seal off any edge seam that isn't welded. PM me if you need any help!

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Yes, apologies here - FYI there is a quick(er) an easy solve option too - this slider rust you're seeing is surface rust from "inside the tube", not a powder coat issue (any small pinhole or edge gap in weld can allow water to get 'inside the tube', we're adding a new production QC step to inspect against this). The rust stain can be washed off...and a dab of silicone can seal off any edge seam that isn't welded. PM me if you need any help!
@EV Sportline, For those of us who JUST installed sliders, mind sharing broadly how to "seal off" the end of the tubes - to get ahead of this?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

@EV Sportline, For those of us who JUST installed sliders, mind sharing broadly how to "seal off" the end of the tubes - to get ahead of this?

Thanks in advance!
Great idea! thanks for asking:

Okay, look for a spot that is 'leaking' the rust / water. Clean and dry it well. Apply this strip calk (or silicone, or whatever you like)....done!

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 1.17.23 PM

Strip caulk
https://a.co/d/4OZAGUn

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 1.25.47 PM

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant

Okay, look for a spot that is 'leaking' the rust / water. Clean and dry it well. Apply this strip calk (or silicone, or whatever you like)....done!

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 1.17.23 PM.png

Strip caulk

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 1.25.47 PM.png
Not sure I'm quite following along.... do I have to remove the sliders to inspect / do this? Sure hope not.

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 1.17.23 PM.png

Strip caulk

Screenshot 2024-02-11 at 1.25.47 PM.png

Not sure I'm quite following along.... do I have to remove the sliders to inspect / do this? Sure hope not.
1. You dont need to do anything unless you spot rust stain. This only applies if you spotted a rust stain on bottom of slider (from water getting into the tube and leaking out as rust water).

2. If you have a rust stain, pull off the skid plate and find where the water is leaking out of the tube. you'll see it dribbling out like the photo I shared. Simply seal that spot.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Glad to hear this is fixed, especially since I just got these installed for my R1S yesterday at their Van Nuys location.

My experience with their installation was great! While they said it could take up to 2 hours, I was out of there in way less than an hour.
Great to hear. I was told my running board is shipping this week so hopefully I can get an installation appointment set very soon.

I was trying to figure out what to do for couple hours but sounds like I don't need to.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
@EV Sportline - I have to admit.. The pictures above, and the "solution" has me quite bothered, and worried. If the water coming out is rusty, that means the rust exists inside the tube, as its not sealed, or painted. SImply sealing off where the water exits from the tube, does not resolve this.

In fact "sealing" the spot could actually make it worse, as you are creating a ever damp environment.

Why, after welding, are these not dipped in paint, to fully encapsulate the exposed metal?
Sponsored