First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
@EV Sportline - I have to admit.. The pictures above, and the "solution" has me quite bothered, and worried. If the water coming out is rusty, that means the rust exists inside the tube, as its not sealed, or painted. SImply sealing off where the water exits from the tube, does not resolve this.

In fact "sealing" the spot could actually make it worse, as you are creating a ever damp environment.

Why, after welding, are these not dipped in paint, to fully encapsulate the exposed metal?
Yes, and (what I was trying to get to in my previous question), how can we now "seal" any openings BEFORE water / rust starts? Not wait for it to happen.
Sponsored

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

@EV Sportline - I have to admit.. The pictures above, and the "solution" has me quite bothered, and worried. If the water coming out is rusty, that means the rust exists inside the tube, as its not sealed, or painted. SImply sealing off where the water exits from the tube, does not resolve this.

In fact "sealing" the spot could actually make it worse, as you are creating a ever damp environment.

Why, after welding, are these not dipped in paint, to fully encapsulate the exposed metal?
Guys, this sealing option was offered for the question of what else could be done alternative to removing and returning. This works fine, as one of many possible alternatives to sealing it.

No there is no damp or moist concern, once it is sealed the absence of oxygen prevents rusting. Dipping the parts in paint after welding would never overcome the viscous resistance and fill the tube with paint (paint can't easily get in a pin hole or between two tight surfaces, water is much different and can form from humidity).

Gang, this is a not a common issue, if it happened to you, reach out and we'll solve one way or another - thx

kcmwv

First Name
Kevyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I can vouch for the above post. Had an issue with rust on my R1T running boards. Simply sent in some photos and, within 2 days, EV Sportline has initiated a no-cost warranty replacement. In my opinion, all you can ask for in this case. Thanks @EV Sportline

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I can vouch for the above post. Had an issue with rust on my R1T running boards. Simply sent in some photos and, within 2 days, EV Sportline has initiated a no-cost warranty replacement. In my opinion, all you can ask for in this case. Thanks @EV Sportline
Same here, pictures sent in and replacement order email received within a couple hours. They stand by the product and do not hesitate to replace if necessary, which is highly appreciated.

John

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks for the mention, we've got you covered - always!

Reactions: R1z

Sponsored

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
HOLA, especially to the @EV Sportline crew.

I am about to have my set of triple slot tread boards installed and have a few preguntas/questions.

Some background. I will mainly be an urban, highway driver, with some sporadic beach, sand driving and the rare off-roading attempt. I live in MA. So, my Qs are based on this post and others.

1) Is it best to leave the panels in place or not for protection of my T, "Izzy"?
2) What can be done to try to prevent the rusting?
3) Any other tips?

Gracias/Thx!!

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

HOLA, especially to the @EV Sportline crew.

I am about to have my set of triple slot tread boards installed and have a few preguntas/questions.

Some background. I will mainly be an urban, highway driver, with some sporadic beach, sand driving and the rare off-roading attempt. I live in MA. So, my Qs are based on this post and others.

1) Is it best to leave the panels in place or not for protection of my T, "Izzy"?
2) What can be done to try to prevent the rusting?
3) Any other tips?

Gracias/Thx!!
Hi There -

It is personal preference. When we install, I would say most opt for drilling the 4" holes. Some remove the panels, but most drill.

Install, some struggle break free the TP55 bolts. Have a breaker bar on had. Push the TP55 bit into the bolt firmly while breaking loose.

Enjoy!

R1TCentralMa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Computer Sci Stuff
Hi There -

It is personal preference. When we install, I would say most opt for drilling the 4" holes. Some remove the panels, but most drill.

Install, some struggle break free the TP55 bolts. Have a breaker bar on had. Push the TP55 bit into the bolt firmly while breaking loose.

Enjoy!
Thank you.

I am having a body shop do the work and will go with drilling the holes.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

hi @EV Sportline
unfortunately i've got rusting on both running boards. on the drivers side theres an exposed spot and on the passenger side you can see rust along the bottom about 1/3 of the length. could you start a warranty replacement?

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months IMG_6498
Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months IMG_6511

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months IMG_6510

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

hi @EV Sportline
unfortunately i've got rusting on both running boards. on the drivers side theres an exposed spot and on the passenger side you can see rust along the bottom about 1/3 of the length. could you start a warranty replacement?
sure, just contact us at [email protected] - fastest way to solve!

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I emailed and got a response very shortly. I was told its covered under warranty. Appreciate the support and great customer service.
just got the email that the replacement boards are on the way. thank you @EV Sportline. top notch customer service.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

@EV Sportline i received my replacement running boards - thank you.

question for you. is there anything different about the replacement running board from the previous one i had ordered in April 2023? i ask because if there's the same potential for rust i may treat it with a spray on bedliner but wanted to check if you guys treated it to prevent rust. if not, if you have any recommendations aside from a bedliner spray that would be appreciated.

Last edited:

LLCoolK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
@EV Sportline i received my replacement running boards - thank you.

question for you. is there anything different about the replacement running board from the previous one i had ordered in April 2023? i ask because if there's the same potential for rust i may treat it with a spray on bedliner but wanted to check if you guys treated it to prevent rust. if not, if you have any recommendations aside from a bedliner spray that would be appreciated.
I would hope they would have fixed this widespread issue and not have you need to spray anything on a brand new set of running boards… but I also have the same question

Eric552

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Rivian R1T
I would hope they would have fixed this widespread issue and not have you need to spray anything on a brand new set of running boards… but I also have the same question
I’m also waiting patiently for the answer on this.
Sponsored