EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I came across this photo on reddit from a guy that has had his EV Sportline running boards for just two months and they are rusting. Has anyone else had this issue? This looks really bad.

"I had the EV Sportline running boards for about 2 mos now and just noticed today, it started to show rust. Anyone else notice this? I just reached out to them and waiting on a response.

The truck is parked on the driveway, rarely in the garage, as the garage is too small."

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months ev-sportline-running-board-v0-nyn8h17a53lb1
Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

looks like you got a defective one. maybe that one didnt get coated properly. how does the other side look?
@BrookeRRiv is with EVSportline so maybe she can help.

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
It’s best to anodize black or silver cad plating before powder coat in epoxy

when I do aircraft landing gear or wheels , I do a chem strip and then silver cad plate before the powder coat or epoxy paint.

You get what you pay for

I bet it’s cheap China flash coating

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months IMG_9796

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months IMG_9795

Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months IMG_9798

Sponsored

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
I noticed the thin coverage like that when I installed them. 99% sure it’s only a matter of time before it starts to rust, I just happen to park in a garage

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
I came across this photo on reddit from a guy that has had his EV Sportline running boards for just two months and they are rusting. Has anyone else had this issue? This looks really bad.

"I had the EV Sportline running boards for about 2 mos now and just noticed today, it started to show rust. Anyone else notice this? I just reached out to them and waiting on a response.

The truck is parked on the driveway, rarely in the garage, as the garage is too small."

ev-sportline-running-board-v0-nyn8h17a53lb1.jpg
Keep us informed on what they will reply. I do not have such an issue on mine, but I am parking in the garage and there has been no rain in Austin since I installed them....

BTW, if this happens, and there is no warranty left - any recommendations on how to fix it?

R1z

First Name
R1z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White Adv | R1T Forest Green Adv
Clubs

ev-sportline-running-board-v0-nyn8h17a53lb1.jpg
Hm. Interested if this is more widespread, or just a one-off issue? About to get my rock sliders delivered (at least i think! 🙏), and have zero interest in a rusty accessory on my truck. @evsportline?

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
Hm. Interested if this is more widespread, or just a one-off issue? About to get my rock sliders delivered (at least i think! 🙏), and have zero interest in a rusty accessory on my truck. @evsportline?
I have the regular version (not rock sliders) and I am very happy with them. They are SUPER useful to get in/out of the car, and all my family appreciate them :)

As for the quality - I did not see any problems yet, hope to not see them in the future as well.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I park outside in SoCal and they have held up ni sly so far, even with some recent rain. Am interested in how this story unfolds.

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I'm probably going to have the same issue but so far they are holding up well. My concern is coverage of the powder coat on the flat step portion. There are some areas at each end where it's apparent that the powder coat coverage is thin. I've held off letting EV Sportline know because it's difficult to photograph. I've had mine on for 5 months and seen some rain a few times.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
Actually, can confirm. After 2 months, hardly any rain, parking in garage, rust is starting to show. Completely unacceptable.
Rivian R1T R1S EV Sportline Running Boards Rusting after 2 Months IMG_6886

K2ATL-R1T

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 LR4, ‘22 X5, ‘12 Mini, Defender 110 & 130
Occupation
General Contractor
I’ve been riding around with one the original prototype sets for 9 months and no rust in Georgia. I can attest that they are not using a cheap Chinese coating as they are made in the USA.💪🏻 You probably just got a bad set, I’m certain they’ll make it right.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
These really need a zinc primer, galvanizing, or something similar under the top-coat. One coat powder coating or paint systems don't have significant corrosion resistance- and once they're scratched, they have none. The most durable/corrosion resistant systems are generally 3 part. Zinc primer, epoxy mid coat, and urethane top coat.

garrison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S, 86' LandCruiser, '23 Bronco
Occupation
Builder
I wonder if this issue affects both the rock slider version as well as the running boards.
Sponsored