Sponsored

Experiences fixing your vehicle yourself?

Quinn

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm a new R1T owner, but I didn't buy it from a dealership. While I wanted to wait and buy a new Rivian, my father decided that I should let him give it a go and bought one that had been in a previous accident (got hit on the passenger door nearer to the wheel). My father has done this with all my previous vehicles, but none of them have been electric, so we are learning as we go.

I think we've been pretty lucky so far: The car reached 0% battery, and it was at 0% for who knows how long, which we later learned is quite difficult to get back out from, but after messing with a few different options, we finally got it to charge. It reaches 90% and keeps charge like it should (a big win for us!)

Now we're onto the main issues, replacing some parts of the car to get it road-ready. My father is used to just ordering parts and fixing vehicles up himself, but as I found out through various forums (and contacting their support) it's not like it is with other vehicles! With such limited used parts out there to purchase, I was curious how other people replaced things themselves. Or if they relied on the warranty and just brought it in (which, obviously, is not an option for us.)

The part on the top of our list is a passenger-side inner tire rod. Support chat didn't make it seem like going to a service center to purchase a part was a possible way we could go about this... is our best bet to go through a "Rivian Certified Collision Center" and order parts through one of them? Or just wait for the part to appear second-hand in the wild?

(I'm not looking for opinions on whether or not this was a bad decision, just looking for others' experiences about buying parts and fixing things themselves.)

Thanks for all of your time,
Quinn
Sponsored