Sponsored

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner; Mustang GT; M3; Grand Cherokee, R1T
My dogs and I spent a few days exploring Moab in my R1T. I’ve had my Rivian for about a year and just want to encourage others to get out and explore.

Charging: Rivian, please get some Level 2 waypoint chargers set up in Moab! The charging infrastructure in Moab leaves much to be desired, there are a few Level 2 chargers in the city but they are all about 6kw. A few Waypoint chargers would go a long way. There is an Electrify America station about 50 miles north in Green River that I recommend topping off at. I put it in Conserve Mode from GR to Moab and had plenty of battery left. Otherwise, here are a few Blink chargers and a free one at City Hall, but only one of the two was operational. A few of the local hotels also had Blink level 2 chargers but at 6kw, you will be there a while.

Trails: Hurrah Pass and Potash Road are easy option to get started on and get some experience. potash Road is actually a back e trance to Canyonlands National Park. You can also go to the state park and explore Fins n Things. The R1s are more than capable for Fin n Things but you need to have some experience in off roading and a spotter helps in places.

R1 Stuff: I would strongly recommend 20” All Terrain tires for any off-road work here. Be sure to air down for a bit more traction and a softer ride. I used 30 psi which I consider airing down for a Rivian, even though I take my 4Rummer to below 20. Also, be sure to air back up when you are done with the trails for good tire wear.

I would also recommend playing with the drive modes. If conditions permit, do yourself a favor and try drift mode if you have some open space. I have raced plenty of cars on tracks but Drift Mode in the R1T is just stupid amounts of fun. I feel bad for the people who get dual motors and will not have the option for drift mode. Honestly, drift mode is enough justification to get the quad. When you need more pedal control for power delivery, Rock Crawl Mode is great. When the terrain gets more technical, the cameras are your friend. Finally, pet mode is great in the desert when your pups need a break but you want to get out. It’s a game changer compared to coming here with my 4Runner.

Rivian Questions: I got more questions on my R1T here than any other place in recent memory. Everyone was asking about it, especially visitors from Europe. I could not stop at Arches National Park without getting questions about it. I was happy to show off the vehicle and I hope Rivian realizes the opportunity to expand brand awareness in places like Moab.

Now go explore!

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9554

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9759

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9765

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs FullSizeRender

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9534

Sponsored

Last edited:

NoGoingBack

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, R1T
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Nice write up! I plan to go there in my R1T at some point. I hope they have a few more chargers by then. I wonder if there’s any camp grounds with RV hookups we could use.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Love the photos and write up. I hope to make out there some day. Thanks for sharing!

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Nice write up! I plan to go there in my R1T at some point. I hope they have a few more chargers by then. I wonder if there’s any camp grounds with RV hookups we could use.
There are a ton. RV Campgrounds aren't my favorite place to stay, but they are currently my preferred way to visit Moab... a few hotels with chargers as well.

Nice photos OP

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Great write up, except I expected a full profile of the dogs to be included🤨

Agree 100% a charging station in that area should be a top priority for Rivian. It has to be one of the most iconic off roading/ mtb/ adventure spots in the entire country. Trails for all skill levels and just stunning scenery.

Great pics!

Sponsored

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
" get out and explore" he said.....

Thanks for the great writeup!

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Supposedly EA Commercial is going to be installing a new DCFC station by next summer. I just did Shafer Trail out of Canyonlands to Potash Rd back into Moab last week. It was fun with spectacular views and *zero* challenge for the truck. Unfortunately, it wasn't an off-road trip for me, so I didn't get to do any of the more fun trails. But I plan to go back once I get some rock sliders. Honestly, at 99F most days I was there, Pet Mode was a game-changer even for us humans. I'd turn on Pet Mode every time I got out of the truck, even when we did little hikes to see an arch or two, and itw as so nice getting back into a cool truck.

Rivian did actually install L2 Waypoint chargers at the Under Canvas hotel, but they're supposedly for guests only. In my case, I was traveling with some folks in RVs, so I was able to charge at the campground.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Charging: Rivian, please get some Level 2 waypoint chargers set up in Moab! The charging infrastructure in Moab leaves much to be desired, there are a few Level 2 chargers in the city but they are all about 6kw. A few Waypoint chargers would go a long way. There is an Electrify America station about 50 miles north in Green River that I recommend topping off at. I put it in Conserve Mode from GR to Moab and had plenty of battery left. Otherwise, here are a few Blink chargers and a free one at City Hall, but only one of the two was operational. A few of the local hotels also had Blink level 2 chargers but at 6kw, you will be there a while.
There is a DCFC in town, but it's currently out of service. Really looking forward to being able to use the Supercharger in Moab next year. We used the DCFC in Green River (lovely coffee shop, and the Mexican restaurant across the street is decent), and the DCFC in Monticello at the welcome station is FREE!

OP
OP
tmmcgee

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree about the coffee shop in Green River. They are also super dog friendly. If it is closed, there is a park a block away with facilities and water. It was a great trip!

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9512

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9516

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9655

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9788

Rivian R1T R1S Exploring Moab with my R1T and dogs IMG_9672

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

Thank you for the great report! Moab is a special place for off roaders so we do need some better charging. Did you do Chciekn Corners trail or the White Rim trail? Both are great but the White Rim trail is off the charts scenic.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tmmcgee

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the great report! Moab is a special place for off roaders so we do need some better charging. Did you do Chciekn Corners trail or the White Rim trail? Both are great but the White Rim trail is off the charts scenic.
I did not get to them this trip but have done them in the past. Both are great options. This trip turned into more of an experiment to see how an EV gets by there with limited infrastructure. I actually had the trip to Moab on the calendar and was going to take my 4Runner but my wife encouraged me to take the Rivian which she normally uses (probably because she was out of town. She loves the R1T) It turned out to be a good call.

A bit of research helped my confidence before departing but it turned out to be easily doable. Even without the sole city charger pumping out 6KW for a few hours in the evening, I would have been ok to fill up in Green River, do some exploring and then make it back to Green River. The level 2 chargers, while limited, were available and campgrounds were my backup plan.

The caveat to this is that I was there during a very slow weekday period with summer vacations ending and school starting. I think this would have been a much different story on a weekend, or busy summer day. On the first day, there was a Jeep Wrangler 4xe using the city charger for a few hours. With the amount of electrified Wranglers that Jeep is cranking out, I think this will only get busier. While Moab is not on an interstate, it is on a fairly busy state highway. And with rental cars companies now having more electric vehicles available, I think the usage will only increase.

I did drive by the Tesla Supercharger station a few times and it was never very busy so that will be a big help in 2024 but... I just can't help but think there is such a huge opportunity for Rivian to set up some chargers and market themselves there. I got more questions about the R1T there than I have in months and it is such a great place that Rivians are made for. I can only imagine how much better the trips will be with a bit more infrastructure.

Last edited:

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

If a company calls it itself an Adventure company, they need to have a presence in Moab, Utah for sure!! Thanks for the info and I will be there next May for sure. JB

Taiga

First Name
Taiga
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, e-Golf
Occupation
Self employed
My dogs and I spent a few days exploring Moab in my R1T. I’ve had my Rivian for about a year and just want to encourage others to get out and explore.

Trails: Hurrah Pass and Potash Road are easy option to get started on and get some experience. potash Road is actually a back e trance to Canyonlands National Park. You can also go to the state park and explore Fins n Things. The R1s are more than capable for Fin n Things but you need to have some experience in off roading and a spotter helps in places.

R1 Stuff: I would strongly recommend 20” All Terrain tires for any off-road work here. Be sure to air down for a bit more traction and a softer ride. I used 30 psi which I consider airing down for a Rivian, even though I take my 4Rummer to below 20. Also, be sure to air back up when you are done with the trails for good tire wear.

I would also recommend playing with the drive modes. If conditions permit, do yourself a favor and try drift mode if you have some open space. I have raced plenty of cars on tracks but Drift Mode in the R1T is just stupid amounts of fun. I feel bad for the people who get dual motors and will not have the option for drift mode. Honestly, drift mode is enough justification to get the quad. When you need more pedal control for power delivery, Rock Crawl Mode is great. When the terrain gets more technical, the cameras are your friend. Finally, pet mode is great in the desert when your pups need a break but you want to get out. It’s a game changer compared to coming here with my 4Runner.

Rivian Questions: I got more questions on my R1T here than any other place in recent memory. Everyone was asking about it, especially visitors from Europe. I could not stop at Arches National Park without getting questions about it. I was happy to show off the vehicle and I hope Rivian realizes the opportunity to expand brand awareness in places like Moab.

Now go explore!

IMG_9554.jpeg

IMG_9759.jpeg

IMG_9765.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_9534.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg
Great write up. How would you compare drift mode with rally mode on dirt?

OP
OP
tmmcgee

tmmcgee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great write up. How would you compare drift mode with rally mode on dirt?
Years ago, the TV show Mythbusters did a test to see if drifting a car was in any way quicker around a track compared to traditional racing lines. The answer was that is was actually slower, but arguably much more fun.

That logic also holds true to the R1. Rally is probably the quickest way to get anywhere on traction limited surfaces while drift is just loose and tail happy. Rally gets you great acceleration and handling while drift is all about induced oversteer. Rally is a scalpel for the dirt and Drift mode will get you sideways faster than a Mustang leaving a cars and coffee on a Saturday morning.

I actually don’t use Rally that much off-road. While the responsiveness is fun, when I have space to go fast, I find drift more more fun. Rally is faster with better traction, but if traction is a concern, I am in Off Road All Purpose or Rock Crawl when I wanted more pedal control.

And that is really the problem with the Rivian. The R1T just makes it too east to get yourself in trouble. The Rivian is so much more capable than I am. You don’t need to work hard to go fast. The R1 is like an automotive cheat code. I need to remind myself to not go beyond my limits, but I don’t know where they are for the R1.

Even after a year with it, the physics of a 7000lb truck doing what it does just don’t compute. I don’t have the skills to use Rally Mode as it should be, and I feel Drift is easier because you just need some open space to get some sideways. And when you are done with the sideways fun, let off the go pedal and it falls right back inline, maybe with just the slightest touch of opposite lock. It’s not technical, it’s just plain fun.

Now if we only had a handbrake….
Sponsored

Last edited: