Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
More info is available here:
https://www.tesla.com/support/non-tesla-supercharging
In the Tesla app you can find the non-Tesla enabled chargers

I live in MA and there are no non-tesla enabled chargers in New England or NJ but they have quite a few in NY:

Rivian R1T R1S First Tesla Supercharger with "Magic Dock" CCS adapter successfully charged a R1T. This is fantastic! IMG_0866.PNG

They have a subscription rate and a non-subscription rate. Subscriptions are $12.99/month. For the one charger I looked at it knocked off $0.12/kWh with the subscription. You'd have to do your own math on frequency of charges on Tesla chargers etc.

Rivian R1T R1S First Tesla Supercharger with "Magic Dock" CCS adapter successfully charged a R1T. This is fantastic! IMG_0865.PNG

While Tesla's rates appear higher than Electrify America and they're likely designed to be that way, the difference is that you get a near perfect uptime (availability) of the chargers (assuming with the adapter they work as well as they do for Tesla people). In the last 8 years of Tesla ownership I hit a non-working Supercharger stall once and I just moved to the next one. I've done MA->FL and back drives, Niagra Falls drives and many to PA, NJ and other places. I drove every weekend MA->Philadelphia for 6 months at one point.

So yes, its more expensive, but you're pretty much guaranteed to get a charge. Better than arriving near empty at a poorly maintained EA site with only a few stalls. Tesla has more stalls and they're more reliable.

My family visit (MA->NJ) is ~240 miles which I cant do without charging in the Tesla and it seems the same will be true for the R1T. This makes that trip a little easier as they open up chargers. They have a good network and its large.

Just because its Tesla shouldnt put people off if they have an EV and need to charge. This is a good thing and hopefully will motivate others like EA to get their stuff sorted.

Edit: I should mention that on my Tesla I have "free supercharging for life" so paying for charges on the road will be a new thing for me. Plus I have solar on my house which more than generates enough power for multiple EVs (17.5kW system).
Sponsored

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Gross. 49 cents/kWh
.52 in CA, you can save .10 by paying a 12.99 monthly membership.

Will be nice in an emergency though.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

.52 in CA, you can save .10 by paying a 12.99 monthly membership.

Will be nice in an emergency though.
I'm not seeing a way to sign up for membership as a non-Tesla driver.

Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
For me, I picked a random charger then it showed the rate with and without membership and there was a "Join now" option:

Rivian R1T R1S First Tesla Supercharger with "Magic Dock" CCS adapter successfully charged a R1T. This is fantastic! IMG_0865.PNG

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Search for an area that has one, click into the location and there is a join now link. I did not click through because not joining but should work, there is a get started button.

Rivian R1T R1S First Tesla Supercharger with "Magic Dock" CCS adapter successfully charged a R1T. This is fantastic! 18CDE016-5D12-4270-AF80-B57E4860354C

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Search for an area that has one, click into the location and there is a join now link. I did not click through because not joining but should work, there is a get started button.

18CDE016-5D12-4270-AF80-B57E4860354C.jpeg
Nevermind. My app was a few days old. They must have just added that in the last update.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Closest one that's open is 303 miles away from me and I'd have to drive through Canada. I think there's only one I'd actually consider using (but isn't currently open to non-Teslas) and we weren't planning a trip through that area this year anyway.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
More options are always better than fewer options. The "Magic Dock" seems like a decent compromise in theory. We'll see how that dock/adapter system works long term in reality.

Also, there are going to be fights over CCS vehicles using the "wrong" parking spot and blocking a station. Literal fights.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
More options are always better than fewer options. The "Magic Dock" seems like a decent compromise in theory. We'll see how that dock/adapter system works long term in reality.

Also, there are going to be fights over CCS vehicles using the "wrong" parking spot and blocking a station. Literal fights.
East coast probably not too bad an issue, i've never hit a full one. West coast I imagine it wouldnt be fun. It sounds like its already a struggle at times.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
My home PGE rates is ~24c off-peak, ~44-55c peak, now that's gross! So the tesla rate actually seems reasonable..
Yes, CA is expensive. with SCE I’m 22-24 cents off peak and 57-62 cents peak. Really makes an ROI on a solar install very easy to justify. My payback with tax credits and rebates is < 5 years.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
EA is going to .48 without membership.
Yes, I found my limit, I’m paying the $4 monthly EA membership but can’t do the 12.99 monthly Tesla, well at least now.
Sponsored