First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Genesis GV80, Coda EV
Occupation
YouTuber
The wireless charging pad in the Rivian R1T sucks. Part of the problem is its design. The forum's very own @Sonartech found the specs and internal photos used in certification filings that show an array of 15 small Qi coils stacked on three layers. Contrary to popular belief, more coils doesn't mean faster charging. Coils cannot be pooled together to deliver more energy—only one coil is active per device charging. The purpose of coil arrays is to improve efficiency (reducing power loss by misaligned coils) and ensuring greater potential charging coverage over a large surface area (such is the case with Rivian's design). Clustering coils increases the likelihood that at any position on the charging pad your phone is correctly aligned with at least one coil. That's it.

And while a less-sensitive alignment is nice, problems arise from layering coils. For one, the further layer is physically more distant from your phone’s receiving coil. This results in slower (we’ve measured sub-3W charging in the Rivian) and greater power loss due to heat (these phones get darn toasty—especially when they’re also in the sun). Remember, the coil selected is the one that most properly aligns with your phone’s receiver coil. When this is three layers of coils down, partial obstruction can further decrease efficiency and lower the rate of power transfer. Rivian’s charger has its upper-most top-layer coils on the left side of the pad (LHD driver’s side) and we suggest placing your device here when possible—you’re likely to get a more efficient, faster charge (I’ve found it settles in around 5-6W). Not great, but it works. Kinda. That’s only half the battle with Rivian’s charger…

Have you ever wondered why Qi chargers take a few seconds to start charging? Well, the transmitter coil (Tx) frequently outputs small “search” pulses of energy to determine if there is a receiver coil (Rx) nearby (in the Rivian’s case, about 2-4mm). Once the Tx coil detects the Rx coil, the Tx coil provides a tiny amount of power to the Rx coil so your phone can communicate back its power requirements. This handshake process takes time and only until the handshake is completed can the Tx coil send power to the Rx coil. Rivian seems to have designed a very narrow tolerance of misalignment before charging stops (this is often the case with small coils). When your phone slides on the pad—even a fraction of an inch—charging stops and it needs to re-establish power transfer with another coil by starting the handshake process over. When your phone is constantly sliding on the Rivian charging pad’s slippery surface, you’re likely to experience more signal drops and handshake re-establishment than actual charging.

That’s where this post comes in. Lance from the Facebook Utah Rivian Club has designed a very clever 3D-printable solution that fixes most of the problems with Rivian's charging solution by simply immobilizing your phone's Rx coil. Here's a video of how it works:

I recommend this be printed in PETG, ASA, or (preferably) ABS as it will often find itself in direct sunlight in a hot cabin. It is not suggested to use PLA as such a thermoplastic has a significantly lower glass transition temperature and it's also more brittle. This design excels when your plastic is able to flex a little bit while maintaining the ability to return to its original form factor.

A one-size-fits-all for every phone was not possible, but Lance and I have determined there’s a good 3-5mm of flex when printed in a recommended plastic. On the Thingiverse/Printables download page, there are a lot of different sizes listed. Here's an example:

Rivian_Phone_20mm_Y_and_76mm_wide.stl

The first number (20mm) is the y-axis offset (the distance it places the bottom of your phone from the rearmost part of the charger), and the second number (76mm) is your device's width. If you use your phone without a case, it’ll be easy to Google for device dimensions. This reference guide also has dimensions for most modern phones. If you do use a case, it may be worth utilizing calipers to get your device's total width with a case. Make sure you round down to the nearest size. For example, if your phone is 74mm, don't print the 75mm model—it'll be too wide for your phone. Dependent on your phone's coil placement, you may want to try printing a few of the Y-values for your given phone width. The top-most coil series find themselves centered at around 95mm from the bottom of the Rivian charger—that's where you'll ideally have coil alignment.

The formula for guesstimate coil placement is: Y = 95 - (deviceheight/2)

So, with a 150mm tall and 74mm wide phone, I'd do: Y = 95 - (150/2) = 20mm

That gives me, the part Rivian_Phone_20mm_Y_and_74mm_wide.stl

Of course, this is not a hard-and-fast rule. Coils are not always located directly at your phone's halfway point and the width of the plastic part may not align your coil with the 95mm height coil row. Plastic is cheap so it's worth printing a few different models given your device width to see what charges most reliably/quickest.

If there's enough interest from those that don't have printers, it is possible I can do a mass-production run of these on my small print-farm at cost (material+shipping). Thanks for reading and thanks to Lance for the great design!

Models on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5441861
Models on Printables (coming soon!): https://www.printables.com/model/257772-rivian-phone-wireless-charger-adapter-holder
Sponsored

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It’d be great if we could crowd-source a list of optimal sizes by phone model.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I've been using this for the driver side on my iPhone 13 and it works great, but it doesn't work on the passenger side with the same phone.

Edit: When I printed mine it was when there was only two STL files available. I'll print a few other sizes now that those are available and see if I can get one to work for the passenger side.

Last edited:

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Applaud the creativity but curious why people wouldn't just use the USB-C instead?

There's a jack right there in the console and a slot for the cable. It looks plenty tidy and the attached cable actually keeps the phone from sliding around. It also charges faster than Qi and you don't have to remove your case or your magnet wallet thingie.

Seems like people are going through a lot of trouble or resorting to not-exactly-pretty workarounds just to enjoy the novelty of wireless charging, which seems flaky even under the best of circumstances. I must be missing something.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
If there's enough interest from those that don't have printers, it is possible I can do a mass-production run of these on my small print-farm at cost (material+shipping). Thanks for reading and thanks to Lance for the great design!
I'd buy one (or 2) from you in a second. I have a ZFold 3 & a S20 Ultra. I mainly use the S20 on road trips because it has all my music on a micro SD. Tell me what I need to do - Venmo ready!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snazzy Labs

Snazzy Labs

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Genesis GV80, Coda EV
Occupation
YouTuber
Applaud the creativity but curious why people wouldn't just use the USB-C instead?

There's a jack right there in the console and a slot for the cable. It looks plenty tidy and the attached cable actually keeps the phone from sliding around. It also charges faster than Qi and you don't have to remove your case or your magnet wallet thingie.

Seems like people are going through a lot of trouble or resorting to not-exactly-pretty workarounds just to enjoy the novelty of wireless charging, which seems flaky even under the best of circumstances. I must be missing something.
Ease of use. I plug in when I need a lot of additional charge in a short period of time, but nothing beats tossing it on the pad and having it charge up. Requires zero effort or time.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
adorable cat!

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Ease of use. I plug in when I need a lot of additional charge in a short period of time, but nothing beats tossing it on the pad and having it charge up. Requires zero effort or time.
Zero effort or time other than pulling up the old pad, buying non-OEM magnet kits, soldering wires, printing out 3D plastic phone holsters, etc, etc... :)

Believe me I get the promise of wireless charging. I've just never actually experienced it in practice (in the Rivian or in my Google wireless charging dock when I had a Google phone) and don't really want janky 3D printed foam "fingers" holding my phone in place for a sub-optimal (slower) charge...

But to each his own. I'll just settle for the inconvenience of taking 3 seconds to plug in a cord.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Zero effort or time other than pulling up the old pad, buying non-OEM magnet kits, soldering wires, printing out 3D plastic phone holsters, etc, etc... :)

Believe me I get the promise of wireless charging. I've just never actually experienced it in practice (in the Rivian or in my Google wireless charging dock when I had a Google phone) and don't really want janky 3D printed foam "fingers" holding my phone in place for a sub-optimal (slower) charge...

But to each his own. I'll just settle for the inconvenience of taking 3 seconds to plug in a cord.
Having a wireless charging pad that, you know, actually works, is amazing.

You're more than welcome to plug in your phone, or better yet, wait to you get home to call someone using your rotary phone. You do you, my dude. 😁

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Having a wireless charging pad that, you know, actually works, is amazing.

You're more than welcome to plug in your phone, or better yet, wait to you get home to call someone using your rotary phone. You do you, my dude. 😁
Give me a break, my dude. There's USB-C already baked into the console and notches specifically designed for running cables from the console to the tray. (Did Rivian engineers just put those in there so that cavemen like me could plug in our rotary phones and fax machines?)

I'm making a logical argument about the cost/benefit of wireless charging in the Rivian. Using a cable, my iphone doesn't slide around, doesn't require janky plastic parts to hold it in place, doesn't require me to solder anything or deface the truck in any way, doesn't invalidate my warranty, doesn't have any physical interference with the camera bump, doesn't require me to constantly remove/reattach the magsafe wallet or the case, and MY PHONE CHARGES FASTER.

Your argument is that YOU think that wireless charging is "amazing" and that I'm a caveman. LOL. It's wireless phone charging not nuclear fission. But you do you, my dude.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

IMO you are not missing anything. Current wireless charging is extremely power inefficient and therefore wastes electricty and takes longer, for the lazy convenince of not having to plug in. I was gifted a Ubiolabs wireless charger. 8 times out of 10 I have to realign my iPhone 13 Pro and earpods carefully to get it to charge. It's quicker to plug in the cable than fiddle with the Ubiolabs, and charges in a fraction of the time.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I printed the correct size for my iPhone 13 for the passenger but still couldn't get it to work. It isn't aligning properly on the coil to initiate the charge. Driver side works great

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
What am I missing? It seems that a great deal is being made of this charging pad issue. People seem to be fretting, spending a lot of energy going to great lengths to come up with over engineered devices to solve a pretty simple problem. Why not just buy one of these wireless magsafe chargers, stick it to the existing pad with a little double sided tape and be done with. In fact, I don’t see why one would even need to tape it down. Oh, wait a minute. I forgot about all those 0-60 runs that might send things flying 😊 I use one of these at home and it seems to do just fine. Is there some reason this wouldn’t work, like easy, peasy?

Rivian R1T R1S Fix Wireless Charging in Your Rivian With This 3D Print Part! AB3C8380-A23A-498E-B2D2-EDDD61256B98

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
What am I missing? It seems that a great deal is being made of this charging pad issue. People seem to be fretting, spending a lot of energy going to great lengths to come up with over engineered devices to solve a pretty simple problem. Why not just buy one of these wireless magsafe chargers, stick it to the existing pad with a little double sided tape and be done with. In fact, I don’t see why one would even need to tape it down. Oh, wait a minute. I forgot about all those 0-60 runs that might send things flying 😊 I use one of these at home and it seems to do just fine. Is there some reason this wouldn’t work, like easy, peasy?
Because some of us want a more refined/integrated solution. Same reason I don’t lick-and-stick a giant suction cup onto my dash or windshield, yet some people seem to think that’s okay.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red

I've used wireless charging in my Tesla for 4+ years, on my nightstand and desks for ~8 years. Nothing better. Easy to just drop it on and not play with cables, wear out USB ports, or have your charging cable stolen by someone else in the house.
Sponsored