djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

So I’m new to Rivian, what are their excuse?
Some of the reasons:
Superficial - carplay looks ugly and doesn't fit in (I would agree)
Greed - carplay integration means they can't charge for something in the future and gives access to apple or other phone/mobile OS makers. (I would agree on their stance, but it's hurting consumers)
Overconfidence - they think they can develop and reach parity with Carplay/AA (I strongly think they overestimated how cheap and how quick it would be to get 95% of the features people wanted from CP/AA.)
Sponsored

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
CarPlay/AA would have been really nice last Friday when I was driving to Tahoe. Complete loss of navigation and audio other than what you can do on your phone due to internet outage. Options are always a good thing and they're sorely needed.

The XC40 is a great example of having options. I use CarPlay with it. My wife and parents (they both have an XC40 recharge) use the built in apps most of the time. If the car loses internet connectivity, you have CP/AA as a backup. All options display the map in front of the steering wheel. If your phone dies, your car still works and works very well. Best of both worlds. It took a while for them to get there, but the current system works very well.

Cypress

First Name
Cypress
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Pacifica PHEV, Reserved R2
Occupation
Associate Technical Fellow in Model Based Definition and PLM
Well, now you're moving the goal posts. Sure, if the in car system did everything and was seamlessly integrated of course no one would want CarPlay....
With Rivian’s relationship with Amazon, Does the Rivian software have an Audible App? I listen to a lot of audiobooks.

Cypress

First Name
Cypress
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Pacifica PHEV, Reserved R2
Occupation
Associate Technical Fellow in Model Based Definition and PLM