Sponsored

For all the people wanting CarPlay... GM is dropping it

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
They want to monetize connected services, just like Rivian and Tesla.

The fact that they're doing it under the pretense of safety is laughable, especially since their implementation of Android Automotive is more clunky than Android Auto or Carplay.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

They want to monetize connected services, just like Rivian and Tesla.

The fact that they're doing it under the pretense of safety is laughable, especially since their implementation of Android Automotive is more clunky than Android Auto or Carplay.
Do you think they laughed out loud when they came up with that excuse or was it just a sly smirk? The level of cynicism you'd need to expect anyone would believe it's for safety is depressing. They must think so little of their customers. The company without a single vehicle that earns a IIHS top safety score who builds trucks with hoods so high that they can hide an entire kindergarden class in a crosswalk expects us to believe they're so worried about safety that they got rid of Carplay? That's absurd.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Do you think they laughed out loud when they came up with that excuse or was it just a sly smirk? The level of cynicism you'd need to expect anyone would believe it's for safety is depressing. They must think so little of their customers. The company without a single vehicle that earns a IIHS top safety score who builds trucks with hoods so high that they can hide an entire kindergarden class in a crosswalk expects us to believe they're so worried about safety that they got rid of Carplay? That's absurd.
As George Carlin once said, imagine the average person's intelligence. Go ahead, think about it. Now realize that 50% of people are dumber than that.

timgradywy

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, XC40 Recharge, CTS-V2, Triumph TR6.
I like GM, have owned three of their cars from three different brands (Chevy, Saab, Cadillac), and rent them constantly. There are some things they're really great at like suspension and chassis tuning. Their engines are also world class. With that said, their infotainment systems are more often than not laughably bad. CarPlay has been their saving grace. I might believe them when they say they can 'do it better' if they had even one single example of decent user interface in the last 10 years. IMO, Ford and FCA do infotainment MUCH better than GM.

If you think GM has any clue about user interface, get into a new Cadillac Escalade. It's got screens and buttons everywhere. It's not intuitive or obvious how to use any of them or how to do simple things. Some are touchscreen. Some are not. The buttons to control the non-touchscreen ones are scattered. I would have considered the new Escalade V-series (I have a CTS-V and built a 9-7X with a Whipple supercharged stroked and forged LSA + 6L80E + AWD), but after renting and driving one twice, I wouldn't even consider owning one. If this is their halo vehicle and statement of how they view the future, they're lost...

Sponsored

Ed C

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 440ic, Tesla Y, Maverick, Tahoe, F150
I have CarPlay in my BMW. It's really not great. I hardly ever use it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I’m not a CP/AA fan, but at least Rivian appears to be honest in their answers about why they won’t add it. They have said from the start they want to maintain control of their software stack and also admitted they expect to make $ from that eventually.

This excuse from GM is just not credible.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

GM states that customers are distracted by carplay because of buggy connections that cause them to pick up their phones.

1. The buggy connection is not a carplay problem. It’s how the wifi/bluetooth connection is implemented. This is a GM problem and won’t be any better or worse with their own implementation.

2. Customers will still fiddle with their phones even with the supposed better GM system. It’s not. Google/Apple and 3Ps have superior nav and other streaming services. The bar has been raised. Customers expect that.

Sponsored

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

--------------------------------------------
Update 12/12:
After this story was published, GM contacted us with the following statement:

"We wanted to reach out to clarify that comments about GM's position on phone projection were misrepresented in previous articles and to reinforce our valued partnerships with Apple and Google and each company's commitment to driver safety. GM's embedded infotainment strategy is driven by the benefits of having a system that allows for greater integration with the larger GM ecosystem and vehicles."
---------------------------------------------
I'd wager AA and CP are going away later more than sooner. At this point it could be a selling point for GM.

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
GM is replacing it with a Google based system which includes Google Maps and Spotify. For me those are the two biggest reasons for my CarPlay use. If Rivian gave us the additional option to install Google Maps natively just like Spotify, I’d stop complaining about CarPlay. Especially Rivian’s own Nav is so far behind and not an equal to Google Maps or Waze.

Let the software giants build the software (Google, Spotify, Apple) and let the car companies focus the resources on the hardware (GM, Rivian, etc.) and stop thinking they are going to out-invest and do better than those companies.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/0...apple-carplay-and-android-auto-from-2024-evs/

Last edited:

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
I just want WAZE!!!
IF waze could integrate with the vehicle state of charge / load charging stations sure but it doesn't (correct me if I'm wrong) I use waze and maybe I never looked into changing it to EV or something.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

We have CP on our RAV4 Prime and I like it when I drive that car, but on the Rivian, I have got used to not having it. The only thing I use CP for is Waze and Spotify (since we have an account for the Rivian).

I do wish Rivian would add text messaging to the system and not "hey Alexa"....I don't like Alexa because my contacts aren't loaded and I don't want to take the time to add them.
Sponsored