First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Ford and GM either canā€™t or donā€™t want to succeed at EVs. Both possibilities are sad.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ford and GM either canā€™t or donā€™t want to succeed at EVs. Both possibilities are sad.
Really makes me wonder if legacy auto has more people working on EVs that just aren't interested or excited by them compared to those working for the competition.

Still hoping Fisker survives long enough to bring the Alaska to market.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
My guess is they decided not to use existing platforms for EVs, and instead develop an EV first platform based on their skunkworks 'low cost' model that they've been talking about lately.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I think no one at GM or Ford has ever studied corporate strategy.

Hype cycle anyone?

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Pulling Maverick and Broco EVs 1708968341338

So if we're at the peak of inflated expectations, and it takes a few years to ramp vehicle development, then you KNOW demand is going to slow BUT that's also the best time to invest as others will make the mistake of pulling back investments.

If you want to know how Tesla, and hopefully RIvian, end up winning the EV game you need look no further than Ford, GM, Mercedes, etc. starting to pull back significantly on EV investments in 2024. The native EV folks keep aggressively investing, the old guard don't, and by the time the old guard try to catch up (yet, again) the game has changed so much they stand no chance at all. *sigh*. history repeats itself.

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Planetary Science
I don't think this is good for anyone, including Rivian. A larger market overall is better for the startups than (what appears to some to be) a shrinking market.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Really makes me wonder if legacy auto has more people working on EVs that just aren't interested or excited by them compared to those working for the competition.

Still hoping Fisker survives long enough to bring the Alaska to market.
I hope they do as well.

There is obviously a disconnect somewhere with the legacy brands because it seems like they should have a leg up on the new manufacturers with all their experience.

Even when I heard about Fordā€™s ā€œskunkworksā€ program I rolled my eyes. If you have a skunkworks team that means you have knowledge on your team that could have improved your current EVs. So why would anyone take that announcement seriously?

OP
OP
TexasBob

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I think no one at GM or Ford has ever studied corporate strategy.

Hype cycle anyone?

So if we're at the peak of inflated expectations, and it takes a few years to ramp vehicle development, then you KNOW demand is going to slow BUT that's also the best time to invest as others will make the mistake of pulling back investments.

If you want to know how Tesla, and hopefully RIvian, end up winning the EV game you need look no further than Ford, GM, Mercedes, etc. starting to pull back significantly on EV investments in 2024. The native EV folks keep aggressively investing, the old guard don't, and by the time the old guard try to catch up (yet, again) the game has changed so much they stand no chance at all. *sigh*. history repeats itself.
Reminds me of the Amazon share price in the early naughts... jumped to an insanely high level and then crashed as expectations got more realistic.... it took ten years to get back to those lofty highs...
Rivian R1T R1S Ford Pulling Maverick and Broco EVs Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 11.38.06

... and then it just kept going.

Rivian R1T R1S Ford Pulling Maverick and Broco EVs Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 11.40.30

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
You canā€™t keep producing products that hemorrhage money when you have a cash cow like F150. They need to figure out how to be cost- competitive with Tesla and BYD before they fully relaunch EV programs. Hope they figure out sooner than later. They will have to follow Teslaā€™s playbook such as vertical integration of batteries, streamlining supply chain, engineering simplicity, or move factories to Mexico while dealing with the UAW. Uphill battlesā€¦..

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Legacy vehicle manufacturers are simply reading the room. They are prioritizing programs that are profitable and recognizing consumers are struggling to get onboard the next wave.

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
how am I supposed to trust the article when they don't even know what a Bronco is? they didn't even get the right vehicle in the image šŸ˜…

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
The empire strikes back. Killing of the EV 2.0. This time, the old guard might just find themselves on the losing side. Despite narrative of ā€œdemand problemsā€, EV sales are up 40% over a year ago.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The empire strikes back. Killing of the EV 2.0. This time, the old guard might just find themselves on the losing side. Despite narrative of ā€œdemand problemsā€, EV sales are up 40% over a year ago.
Agreed. That entire narrative stinks badly.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
EV demand will primarily be a function of fuel prices. Double the price of gas and you won't be able to meet EV demand.

Shortsighted by the legacy manufacturers.
Sponsored