Sponsored

Freezing Temps - Unable to open spare tire latch on the R1T

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

the last 4-5 days we've had below freezing temps and i 3 of my 4 windows have not been able to open, even after physically assisting it. so i wanted to check the rest of the truck to see what would and wouldn't open in the cold temps. everything else opened except the spare tire space. the latch is completely frozen. i gave it a very strong pull but decided against using a tool to give me more leverage out of fear of snapping it.

anyone one else have this issue?

i'll have to keep this in mind next time the temps drop. wouldn't want to be out on the road or trail and not be able to get to my spare tire.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yes. It happened to several people recently, including a broken lever.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Be careful with that release lever. Last winter multiple folks broke that trying to get it open in the cold.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
That has happened to me as well.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Shoot, now I need a hair dryer to get to the floor cooler?

At least we know why the cybertruck went with a half assed bed strapped spare.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to pull the spare out before relieving my bladder.

(I hope you'd enjoyed this selection of jokes. Genuinely this is good to know; my mirrors, tailgate, and bed rail buttons were all solidly under ice this weekend. Was very happy we now have tunnel door access in the app)

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to pull the spare out before relieving my bladder.
Before? Oh, you're not using the contents of your bladder to melt the ice on the latch.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Before? Oh, you're not using the contents of your bladder to melt the ice on the latch.
haha Very much intended to hold onto the option. Would double suck to get a flat, pull over, pee, THEN realize it is stuck.
Though if I were wise I'd unlatch it, pee, then try to lug that thing out of its cave.

PSA reminder, the cover can be pushed up to vertical. Blew my mind when someone mentioned that here.
Sponsored