First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Winnebago Revel 4x4
Occupation
Prototype Vehicle Development
Just passed by the Family Fair in Grayling and saw that they finally had the 6 new stations open. Going to try the pull-through one out when we trailer our sleds through there later this week. They show up on the Nav now as well so the truck should precondition for the stop. I've had my truck for almost a year now I hope they keep the "free charging" available for me for a bit longer since this is the first one I've been able to use.

Rivian R1T R1S Grayling Michigan 6 Station RAN now open FB_IMG_1676923607570
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've had my truck for almost a year now I hope they keep the "free charging" available for me for a bit longer since this is the first one I've been able to use.
They stated through the end of April. What are the chances they blow right through that deadline though? 🤔

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
My money is on beyond April. We would have heard the pricing details by now. When it does start I imagine it's all thru a OTA vehicle and app update working with your cc on file.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

My money is on beyond April. We would have heard the pricing details by now. When it does start I imagine it's all thru a OTA vehicle and app update working with your cc on file.
It's possible they are already working on getting that operational at the stations including the billing end of things right now. The bulk of the work could already be done, just setting it to a zero balance so it doesn't end up charging you.

I'll forgive them for axing the free-charging-membership if this also means that they are going to have Plug&Charge working with other networks. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Quick update after charging twice now. 4 days ago two were in error state. Tonight those two are still in error and the other transformer is down so all 3 of those are powered down.
Though you can tell they worked on the error because the snow was cleared away from the door at the back. Hopefully they get these up and running consistently.
Very happy one was functioning tonight! (Also noted on PlugShare)

Sponsored

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
Billing is the only thing that will actually be s00n…

Reactions: Guy

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
PlugShare shows 5 of 6 are down right now. The CCS curse strikes again.

Off-topic, but when they gonna release a CCS 2.0 that improves on all of the issues, and has a smaller connector? Cuz it’s not like Rivian did anything wrong here and we’re looking at a 83% failure rate on a brand new install.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

PlugShare shows 5 of 6 are down right now. The CCS curse strikes again.
Rivian app shows 1/6 available, so I'm pretty happy with the fact that the station status in the app matches reality. We're going to stop here twice on a overnight trip to TC tomorrow and I'm confident it'll work out just fine.

Off-topic, but when they gonna release a CCS 2.0 that improves on all of the issues, and has a smaller connector? Cuz it’s not like Rivian did anything wrong here and we’re looking at a 83% failure rate on a brand new install.
I'm not really sure how you figure that it's the connector that's the problem.

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Because CCS constantly has issues, whereas NACS doesn’t.

I am left to believe there is something inherently flawed with CCS design or spec. Rivian didn’t do anything wrong here, and this is the outcome….

Rivian app shows 1/6 available, so I'm pretty happy with the fact that the station status in the app matches reality. We're going to stop here twice on a overnight trip to TC tomorrow and I'm confident it'll work out just fine.

I'm not really sure how you figure that it's the connector that's the problem.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Because CCS constantly has issues, whereas NACS doesn’t.

I am left to believe there is something inherently flawed with CCS design or spec. Rivian didn’t do anything wrong here, and this is the outcome….
There are exactly zero DC stations on the market that are "NACS" so I'm still not certain how you are making the unfounded claim that it's somehow "better".

Sponsored

2025R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
We will have to table this discussion for another thread. Closing thought; there are non-Tesla NACS chargers deployed. As a random example, EVgo has them.

There are exactly zero DC stations on the market that are "NACS" so I'm still not certain how you are making the unfounded claim that it's somehow "better".

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We will have to table this discussion for another thread. Closing thought; there are non-Tesla NACS chargers deployed. As a random example, EVgo has them.
EVGo uses a captured Tesla ChaDeMo adapter with a modified cable. In order for Tesla to call "NACS" an open standard, they are requiring the use of the same signaling protocol CCS uses. Tesla still uses a proprietary communications protocol in the US on their superchargers.
Rivian R1T R1S Grayling Michigan 6 Station RAN now open 1677592136554

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I still stand by Rivian not doing anything wrong at Grayling. It is just Rivian being victim of unreliable CCS tech
Tesla doesn’t seem to be having issues with CCS tech. I’m sure it’s something else besides CCS for Rivian at this location.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I'm really not sure what could possibly be unique to CCS that would cause problems. It's the implementations, not the connector.

And yeah, Rivian will probably have some stations with problems here and there. Tesla certainly didn't always have a perfect network with no downtime. I know of several Supercharger sites that were routinely having problems for years. One of them ended up being completely relocated to a different site in the same town before finally being more reliable. Could have been something about the original install, could have been something about the power quality at the site, could have been something else completely random. It happened though.

Also, there is no such thing as an existing "NACS" station. There are Tesla stations. That's it. NACS is a theory at this point, and it's a ridiculous name for something that will never be an actual standard for anybody other than Tesla.
Sponsored