First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ that's the effect of the grease on the splines thickening due to cold temps. It has happened to others. Unfortunately it's not a "fix" just a temporary reprieve from the symptoms.
Sponsored

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Nobody is more excited than me about finally getting my R1S delivered at some point toward the end of next year, but I have to admit this apparently pervasive CV/half shaft tocking sound and several documented failures is worrisome. Rivian’s current “fix” of adding more grease and lack of acknowledgement/cause explanation for an obviously common concern on new $80,000 R1 vehicles isn’t reassuring either.

The only positive of having to wait another year for my R1S is I get to see how correction of the CV/Half Shaft issue plays out from the sidelines.
There is no guarantee it will be fixed by that time.

Tesla Model X had issues with front cv axels since day one and still has it. There were many revisions of this issue.

More to say, refreshed model S has that vibration issue too. Tesla calls it as 'normal'

Don't ask me how I know... xD

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Now that it's gotten cold in Minnesota all of my squeaks, tocks, and lashing noises have gone away. Anyone else in freezing climates in the same boat? It was very noticeable before and the noises are entirely gone now.
I noticed it too here in Seattle a few weeks back when temperatures dropped around low 30s. When I was dropping my car at SC to address this issue It was hard to reproduce it and show it to tech. But I was able to do it :D

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

My drivers side roof speaker is blown. So I can’t listen to music. It sounds worse than the creaking, clicking, thumping. I tried to get it serviced but they won’t pick it up anymore. I think I might just sell this thing as I’ve still been driving my Tesla as much as the rivian.

My driver side roof speaker is buzzing now also. Blown? Curious if you ever got resolution on this?

hutsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
stupid country butt doctor
My driver side roof speaker is buzzing now also. Blown? Curious if you ever got resolution on this?
it wasn’t actually blown. There was some kind ofdigital distortion that resolved spontaneously

Sponsored

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

For what it's worth, I thought mine was blown as well. The one right above drivers head. But after a software update it hasn't happened again. Its bizzarre. I'm still going to have them look at it the next time I'm in.

In the meantime, turn off the surround sound and it won't use that speaker. At least you won't have the buzzing in your ear.

I am experiencing this issue now. Did this issue ever return for you? Maybe I should try a reset?

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I am experiencing this issue now. Did this issue ever return for you? Maybe I should try a reset?
As a note, I have had all speakers go super muddy a few times. Or maybe they all cut out and it goes all subwoofer. Reset fixed it each time.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm giving them a shot next week to fix...if not, I can't live with the clunking....just not reassuring...this thing feels more fragile by the day....doing a tank turn in this thing would tear all 4 half-shafts off...wonder if they knew how sensitive the shafts were gonna be and made cancelling tank turn even easier. :confused:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Yeah try a hard reset. Mine hasn’t come back. It is the strangest thing.

aconfusedazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Over a year since the beginning of the thread I started to experience the clicking noise under hard acceleration at high ride heights. I took it to the Bellevue sc and they gave it back saying it was typical but just not pleasant. They assured me that it was not damaging the vehicle. I still find this hard to believe and frustrating.

Sponsored

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Over a year since the beginning of the thread I started to experience the clicking noise under hard acceleration at high ride heights. I took it to the Bellevue sc and they gave it back saying it was typical but just not pleasant. They assured me that it was not damaging the vehicle. I still find this hard to believe and frustrating.
Seems some people get a solution and others get told it is typical/normal.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
I noticed it too here in Seattle a few weeks back when temperatures dropped around low 30s. When I was dropping my car at SC to address this issue It was hard to reproduce it and show it to tech. But I was able to do it :D
There is a s/b now for this. Mine is in for “ting splined washers” right now.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
And what did they do as a result?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Did you have the loud clicking/chattering when accelerating or the gear lash?
No. It’s a s/b they did prophylactically. I was in for another matter and they told me about this s/b for tocking/ticking and creaks.
Sponsored