First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
So...front suspension had a clunking/thumping type noise, and then developed the spline creak. Primarily driverside.

I had it looked at by Rivian service and they replaced the half shafts.

Now the creaking seems 99% gone, but the clunking/thumping is still present.

Most noticeable on city streets that aren't in best shape. At city speeds.

Took driver side wheel off, and everything looks normal. Nothing moves by hand.

One thing I noticed, is even with these new half shafts, when rotate the wheel frontward and backwards, the half shafts or something right near them, make a clicking noise that sounds like marbles in a can.

I don't recall any CV joints I any cars I have ever owned, make this kinda noise.

Should these things make noise like this?
Sponsored

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Based strictly on photos that I have seen posted in forums, I believe that Rivian is using half shafts manufactured by GKN which incorporate ball splines. Ball splines give the half shafts more axial displacement range (length change) compared to traditional half shafts. There are lots of little ball bearings inside a hollow shaft with internal grooves. Maybe that's what you heard?

You can get a pretty good look at Rivian front half shafts in the OP's video here:
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rivian-r1t-cv-axle-failure-missed-by-service-center.7404/

Based on my internet searches, Volvo is the only other consumer vehicle manufacturer that has used the GKN ball spline half shafts as factory equipment. Unless you've owned a recent Volvo SUV or wagon, you probably have not encountered a ball spline half shaft.

The cut-away shown below is not an actual Rivian driveshaft, but it illustrates the concept.

Rivian R1T R1S Half Shaft / CV Joint Noise cvj-ballspine-shaft-sx8-min

Last edited:
OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
That is what I understood them to be also. When I spun the wheel it sounds almost like a anti-reverse ratchet mechanism, but that makes no sense. I could be that these ball splines makes noises.

They seem to make noise at the little to no load state and once a load is applied they stop. So it could be the tolerance of the balls and splines, with the noise happening as it traditions between load in each direction.

Then it is possible that while going down road at near neutral driveline torque, that as the truck hits bumps, these things are banging away back and forth and transmitting thru structure to point I can hear what I call knocking/thumping.

So still possible it is normal I guess, or maybe these things need to be tighter tolerance between ball and spline, loaded with grease, and that would stop it.

G_Land79

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Audi S4, 2014 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Statistician
Clubs

I had the creaking real bad and at service they replaced a bolt, added grease and torqued it all to the correct spec. That worked for about 2.5 weeks and 800 miles, but the creaking noise is now coming back which is annoying.

mk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3
Is this a problem that can be avoided by babying the truck? E.G. no full power starts?

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
So can all these noises be heard from inside the cabin with the windows rolled up in normal driving?

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
Yes.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Is this a problem that can be avoided by babying the truck? E.G. no full power starts?
Possibly, but unlikely. It will just delay it.

mk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3
Knowing what you know now, would you still take delivery?

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Knowing what you know now, would you still take delivery?
Hmmm... Probably so. I'm pretty tolerant of early adopter issues. So far, Rivian has been stood behind the product, although they have been slow to acknowlege some problems such as the tonneau. Unfortunately, I think this is tonneau 2.0 in the making. I would be very surprised if they are not already on top of this for future builds, as well as a plan for repairing vehicles that have been shipped.

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
I get horrible front cv noise upon acceleration in all purpose high. Goes away on normal. Talked to tech and he said they all do it. Didn’t make me feel better.

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
So...front suspension had a clunking/thumping type noise, and then developed the spline creak. Primarily driverside.

I had it looked at by Rivian service and they replaced the half shafts.

Now the creaking seems 99% gone, but the clunking/thumping is still present.
with your new half shafts if you put the truck in high does it make noise under full or hard acceleration? Wondering if they updated the half shafts.

OP
OP

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
with your new half shafts if you put the truck in high does it make noise under full or hard acceleration? Wondering if they updated the half shafts.
Mine actually has not had the clinking noise come back. All I have left if a somewhat subtle thumping / knocking noise on really big impact bumps. I am not sure if it is the left front half shaft or something else. My suspicion is half shaft looseness.

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Thanks R1Tom! I have the same noises coming from the suspension. Been in to Brooklyn SC twice and both times told us was normal. Their test vehicle made the same noise. I love the truck but it sounds like sh*t at low speed like the suspension will drop out at any minute. Nice to know I’m not the only one.
Sponsored