Sponsored

Has anyone connected Rivian to an iPhone 14 ProMax hotspot?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Question has anyone been able to connect the Rivian to an iPhone hotspot? Specifically an iPhone 14 ProMax. It does not show as an available network when I enable the hotspot on the phone. Tried simplifying the phone name and enabling the “Maximise Compatibility” switch but am not seeing it.
Sponsored

tjmsquared

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Macan
I've not tried to do it, but are you trying to connect to your phone while the car is in drive? I think wifi is disabled unless you are in park.

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I've not tried to do it, but are you trying to connect to your phone while the car is in drive? I think wifi is disabled unless you are in park.
No while parked.

For sure it would disconnect once put in drive. I actually asked service today if they could submit a change request for that. Tesla made that change several years ago.

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Question has anyone been able to connect the Rivian to an iPhone hotspot? Specifically an iPhone 14 ProMax. It does not show as an available network when I enable the hotspot on the phone. Tried simplifying the phone name and enabling the “Maximise Compatibility” switch but am not seeing it.
Why?

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

I have standard iPhone 14 Pro, works without an issue. Except for today when whole Rivian network appears to kick the bucket…

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I have standard iPhone 14 Pro, works without an issue. Except for today when whole Rivian network appears to kick the bucket…
While driving? I didn't think that works. You can connect a phone to the Rivian hotspot but not the reverse.

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I was trying to connect to the hotspot to charge at a Tesla SC because my R1S internet was down. When I launch the hotspot on the phone my R1S does not see the SSID and if I try to key it in it cannot connect.

Just curious if anyone else has successfully connected their Rivian to one.

I was able to get around the issue initiating the charge from my Tesla App but looking to resolve this for future needs.

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Just a thought. If you connected to the vehicle with Bluetooth, can you also connect with WiFi?

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Just a thought. If you connected to the vehicle with Bluetooth, can you also connect with WiFi?
Was a good thought but does not seem to be the issue. Turned off Bluetooth and closed Rivian app, still cannot connect.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I don't think it's possible to connect a Rivian to a phone hotspot.

edit: guess I was wrong.

Last edited:

Sponsored

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

I just tried it again and Rivian connects to my hotspot, but my hotspot is not in the list of available networks. This is some kind of bug I never seen before.

jmtreetop

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah, only way to connect to hotspot right now is to go into WiFi settings and select “Find Network”, manually type in the SSID and password and select Join.

OP
OP
SANZC02

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Ok, here is an update, progress to a point I can use it.

Seems to be related to ”Low Data Mode”. I turned that off and I saw the SSID broadcasted and was able to connect, I disconnected and can no longer see the SSID broadcasted but now I can enter the SSID and password, it then will connect and work but does not remember the configuration, I’ll just key it in if I need it in the future.

Final Settings,
— Personal HotSpot —
Allow others to join. On
Maximize Compatibility. On

—Wi-Fi Settings Edit of named hotspot network—
Low Data Mode. Off
Private Wi-Fi Address. Off

nigele

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S 2023
Have you tried enabling the "Maximize Compatibility" toggle under Settings > Hotspot on the iPhone?

Ahoymatey

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Like many other affected by yesterday’s outage I also tried this. I had to leave my neighborhood where there seemed to be too much WiFi signal noise to get it to connect. As others stated, it only works in park. Hopefully Rivian fixes this very soon so we don’t have to deal with outages and no plan B.
Sponsored