Sponsored

Has anyone received their refund for an amended 2022 federal tax return?

Mygrain

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 IONIQ 5, '23 R1S quad, many Deeres
Occupation
grain farmer, ex-Honda factory engineer
Clubs

Also, you are lucky on the state tax rebate. Rivians don't qualify in CA, because the gvwr weight is over by 32 pounds. Also, Rivian listed the gvwr the same for R1S and R1T, which is impossible.
I can't resist chiming in -- off topic -- about the GVWR of 8532 for both the R1T and R1S. Well, it is a "rating." As long as Rivian doesn't exceed the tire manufacturers' ratings, they have some wiggle room to establish the rating. By setting the GVWR above 8500 for R1 vehicles, Rivian is not required to report the U.S. and Canadian content required by American Automobile Labeling Act. You can check the NHTSA website below to find the US+Canadian content for nearly every car, pickup, and SUV offered for sale in the US. But not Rivians. Coincidence?

Ford Lightning 38%
Lucid Air 46%
Tesla Model X 60%
Rivian R1 ??? (not required to report)

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act Reports | NHTSA

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I can't resist chiming in -- off topic -- about the GVWR of 8532 for both the R1T and R1S. Well, it is a "rating." As long as Rivian doesn't exceed the tire manufacturers' ratings, they have some wiggle room to establish the rating. By setting the GVWR above 8500 for R1 vehicles, Rivian is not required to report the U.S. and Canadian content required by American Automobile Labeling Act. You can check the NHTSA website below to find the US+Canadian content for nearly every car, pickup, and SUV offered for sale in the US. But not Rivians. Coincidence?

Ford Lightning 38%
Lucid Air 46%
Tesla Model X 60%
Rivian R1 ??? (not required to report)

Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act Reports | NHTSA
That makes sense... Thanks for a real explanation

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The IRS will issue a refund automatically and only a flag for a later audit will result in a denial of any deduction or credit claimed.
Good luck to all that are claiming based on the BPA as it very clearly fails the guidelines that the IRS issued.
Not only will repaying the $7,500 hurt, the added sting of penalties and interest are like salt in a wound.

Rivian BPA:
As part of the consideration you provided to Rivian for this Order, one hundred dollars of the deposit amount you submitted with your preorder/reservation becomes non-refundable.

IRS definition of a binding contract:
  • does not limit the damages a buyer or seller can receive for a breached contract, such as forfeiting a deposit or paying a pre-determined dollar amount or a percentage of the total contract price for the vehicle.
There are numerous clauses in the BPA that cause a hard "fail" on being a binding contract, but all it takes is one - and it is clearly spelled out by Rivian and the IRS. Unfortunately, the IRS guidance/definition wasn't published until after Aug 16th and manufacturers did not have the chance to draft a qualifying binding contract.

Note the CYA by Rivian:
4. Disclaimer of Tax Eligibility. Rivian cannot guarantee that you will be eligible for any tax credits because you signed this Agreement. You are responsible for your own personal tax situation and determination of eligibility for credits and incentives for Federal, State, and Local taxes. Rivian does not guarantee the actions or determinations of the Internal Revenue Service or any other tax authority, and Rivian is under no obligation to defend you in disputes with any tax authority. Rivian makes no representations under this Agreement as to pending or future legislation.

Your on your own folks, Good luck to you all.

rpo

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance
The refund stemming from my 2021 amended return also had a 16 week ETA. It was actually 40 weeks. You may be waiting for a long, long time.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The IRS will issue a refund automatically and only a flag for a later audit will result in a denial of any deduction or credit claimed.
Good luck to all that are claiming based on the BPA as it very clearly fails the guidelines that the IRS issued.
Not only will repaying the $7,500 hurt, the added sting of penalties and interest are like salt in a wound.

Rivian BPA:
As part of the consideration you provided to Rivian for this Order, one hundred dollars of the deposit amount you submitted with your preorder/reservation becomes non-refundable.

IRS definition of a binding contract:
  • does not limit the damages a buyer or seller can receive for a breached contract, such as forfeiting a deposit or paying a pre-determined dollar amount or a percentage of the total contract price for the vehicle.
There are numerous clauses in the BPA that cause a hard "fail" on being a binding contract, but all it takes is one - and it is clearly spelled out by Rivian and the IRS. Unfortunately, the IRS guidance/definition wasn't published until after Aug 16th and manufacturers did not have the chance to draft a qualifying binding contract.

Note the CYA by Rivian:
4. Disclaimer of Tax Eligibility. Rivian cannot guarantee that you will be eligible for any tax credits because you signed this Agreement. You are responsible for your own personal tax situation and determination of eligibility for credits and incentives for Federal, State, and Local taxes. Rivian does not guarantee the actions or determinations of the Internal Revenue Service or any other tax authority, and Rivian is under no obligation to defend you in disputes with any tax authority. Rivian makes no representations under this Agreement as to pending or future legislation.

Your on your own folks, Good luck to you all.
Nothing but good positive news around here.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The refund stemming from my 2021 amended return also had a 16 week ETA. It was actually 40 weeks. You may be waiting for a long, long time.
Even if it takes 80wks....

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Refund is the mistaken word here. It is my understanding that the law is a $7500 credit against money due.

Therefore if you owned 10k after the credit you only owe 2500. If you owned 3k after the credit you owe nothing but get nothing back. Just went through this with our accountant as well

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Refund is the mistaken word here. It is my understanding that the law is a $7500 credit against money due.

Therefore if you owned 10k after the credit you only owe 2500. If you owned 3k after the credit you owe nothing but get nothing back. Just went through this with our accountant as well
I think refund IS the correct term here. The OP was specifically asking about people who filed their original returns and have now filed an amended return. They want to know if their timeline for getting the refund is consistent with others. It's safe to assume that the OP paid their full taxes as if they did not have a credit and therefore expect a refund of $7,500 based on the amended return.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

You're on the right track. The government is allowing for a $7500 credit. Whether or not that translates to a refund is determined by how much one owes. If you owe $10k without the credit, then with the credit you would only owe $2500. The amount to be paid or refunded at the time of filing would depend on how much you had already paid via witholdings or quarterly payments throughout the year. If you owe $3k without the credit, then with the credit you would owe $0 and the government would owe you a refund of any amounts already paid via witholdings or quarterly payments.

In my case, I owed significantly more than $7500 in tax for 2022. I already filed my 2022 return and received my refund based on payments made throughout the year toward my 2022 tax liability. Then I took delivery of my R1S and filed my amended return and as a result, I am expecting an additional $7500 refund.

Remains to be seen whether the IRS will challenge any or all Rivian BPAs. I suspect they will not bother and will honor the spirit/intent of the agreements we signed as a transition courtesy. Regardless, since I took delivery before 4/18, I am eligible for the $7500 credit. It would just be a matter of whether they force me to claim it on my 2022 or 2023 return which would effectively change nothing other than timing of the refund for me (my tax liability for 2023 will actually be a little higher than for 2022). It would be nothing more than a big hassle for everyone involved and there is no intent to defraud the IRS here. For those taking delivery after 4/18 and filing based on the BPA, my hopes that the IRS would honor the Rivian BPA go down but it will be interesting to see how this all plays out for all of us in the end.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Semantics my people...."just as long as u get my money by Friday" 😉

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Another update - just saw my notification of incoming USPS mail and a check from the Department of Treasury is coming today.

So, unless I'm getting a windfall through some other means, the timeline is as follows:

filed amendment 3/23, adjustment made 5/5, check received 5/8.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Another update - just saw my notification of incoming USPS mail and a check from the Department of Treasury is coming today.

So, unless I'm getting a windfall through some other means, the timeline is as follows:

filed amendment 3/23, adjustment made 5/5, check received 5/8.
Do they mail audit notifications? Sorry... hope it's a check!!!🤣

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Do they mail audit notifications? Sorry... hope it's a check!!!🤣
I'm using the USPS informed delivery service, so they send me a scan image of the actual mail item - it's definitely a US Treasury check.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'm using the USPS informed delivery service, so they send me a scan image of the actual mail item - it's definitely a US Treasury check.
We're all pulling together for u on this.....
Sponsored