Sponsored

HiRes Audio and Sources

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
No, I just don't think it's important at all. I've had a car with AA, I kinda hated it.
Yes, because you were FORCED to use AA, right? Oh, no, you wern't? You could just use the vehicle without using AA? Interesting!

Because Rivian is forcing people who want AA to not be able to use it. That sucks. If they offered it, then you could choose to use it, or not.

This is exactly why Rivian's "we believe we can do it better" argument is bullshit. Don't tell me; show me. If you offered CP/AA and you did something better, most people would use the better option. You'd actually earn that smug attitude, that way. But "we can do it better, but you don't have a choice, anyway" is always going to lose, imo.
Sponsored

OP
OP

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9, Honda Accord Hybrid
No, I just don't think it's important at all. I've had a car with AA, I kinda hated it.
That is perfectly fine, but there are a lot of us who not only love CP/AA, but feel that it is a backward step for a new design without it or something equivalent. At the Venice hub, when I pointed out, their initial reaction was that the features I requested can be emulated. When I requested them to demonstrate, they themselves realized that it could not.

Bottom line: Many of us who buy the Rivian as is are going to get some sense of buyers remorse without CP/AA, because we are got used to the sheer ease of use and convenience. I came back from the visit extremely enthusiastic about the vehicle, even more so than when I first put in my deposit. However, I have since decided to carefully look at the alternatives. I might settle for something else, or just wait if Rivian do not improve their software offering by the time I get offered a chance to purchase the vehicle. I suspect that there are many like me.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles
I'm not even a Rivian employee and I'm really really tired of hearing nearly everybody complain about the lack of AA/CarPlay. I had a Tesla for 4 years, and yes their software is more mature than Rivian's, but holy crap did I NOT miss AA/CarPlay. Those systems are not the end-all-be-all of automotive UIs. People need to get over it. If they want those systems so bad, get another vehicle.
Tired of "nearly everybody complaining" While you didn't miss AA/CarPlay that doesn't mean "nearly everybody" else shouldn't. I'm open to a better interface that CarPlay but Rivian isn't even in the sandbox as far as that goes. No native HQ music source, no hard connection, Alexa is clumsy and if you like to accomplish things while driving Rivian's system isn't very functional. Perhaps they thought or were promised that Alexa could fill the void.

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
If you link Alexa to Apple Music will it take verbal commands to stream Apple Music? This is the process for in home Alexa.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I don’t get all the fuss about CarPlay or no carplay or…

some cars have CarPlay some don’t. Oh well. if having CarPlay or android auto is a can’t live without it deal…buy something that has those things.

this week I’m driving a vehicle with a single DIN stereo with weord European radio tuning, that doesn’t have Bluetooth, definitely doesn’t have CarPlay/AA and for sure doesn’t have eight camera views. If I want a map I have to dig one out from behind the seats.
if I want to answer the phone, I have to pull over. If I even hear it.

I don’t miss CarPlay. Besides, the CarPlay/AA versions of many apps are terrible.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you link Alexa to Apple Music will it take verbal commands to stream Apple Music? This is the process for in home Alexa.
It will not. Alexa responds saying the device does not support Apple Music.

Jamuso

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ridgeline
Occupation
Sr software engineer - manager
No it doesnt - i tried that and it gives a message saying it's not supporting. Rivian could fix this quickly and calm some of this noise.

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
I agree, I don’t miss CarPlay in my wife’s Tesla but I do miss Apple Music. If they supported Apple Music, that would make me happy.
Preferably without requiring voice controls but a proper UI

OP
OP

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9, Honda Accord Hybrid
There is as yet no Apple Music App native. The way it works is that you fire up Apple Music or Tidal or any such on your phone, and use the commands there, say Siri, to get the phone to play the songs you want. If the phone is synced via BT with the Rivian, the music plays via the BT interface. At least on Tidal, the album art appeared on the main screen.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Talk to Apple about this one guys.

They intentionally price music subscribing services below market and then refuse to have an open ecosystem where third parties can integrate to play the content you own.

Unless you give away your entire car experience to carplay.

Spotify TuneIn and others not being tied to a major tech company trying to dominate the world let anybody integrate with their service.

It's a sad State of affairs but that's the way it is

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Talk to Apple about this one guys.

They intentionally price music subscribing services below market and then refuse to have an open ecosystem where third parties can integrate to play the content you own.

Unless you give away your entire car experience to carplay.

Spotify TuneIn and others not being tied to a major tech company trying to dominate the world let anybody integrate with their service.

It's a sad State of affairs but that's the way it is
This is false. Apple has a Music API you can code against: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/applemusicapi/

Porsche has released a native CarPlay app for their infotainment system, and it doesn't rely on CarPlay.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
This is false. Apple has a Music API you can code against: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/applemusicapi/

Porsche has released a native CarPlay app for their infotainment system, and it doesn't rely on CarPlay.
This is incorrect. That music API does not allow you to playback music. Please send the API command to play a song (IE: from software you wrote) from that doc. It allows you to manipulate your library and control other devices.

Look, Apple has a strategic partnership with Porsche. So they are playing ball. This doesn't mean it's widely available across OEMs. There's even some talks about Porsche being involved in an Apple car...

The point is Rivian can't decide they want to do this on their own accord, and with stand-alone software, without significant licensing terms.

It's a business problem, not a technical one.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
This is incorrect. That music API does not allow you to playback music. Please send the API command to play a song (IE: from software you wrote) from that doc. It allows you to manipulate your library and control other devices.

Look, Apple has a strategic partnership with Porsche. So they are playing ball. This doesn't mean it's widely available across OEMs. There's even some talks about Porsche being involved in an Apple car...

The point is Rivian can't decide they want to do this on their own accord, and with stand-alone software, without significant licensing terms.

It's a business problem, not a technical one.
https://developer.apple.com/musickit/

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Here's the Apple MusicKit API for Android reference:

https://developer.apple.com/musickit/android/

Specfically, take a look at the MediaPlayerController in the com.apple.android.music.playback.controller namespace.

There are multiple ways to queue items for playback, but this function would be of note:
void prepare(@NonNull com.apple.android.music.playback.queue.PlaybackQueueItemProvider queueProvider, boolean playWhenReady)

Rivian R1T R1S HiRes Audio and Sources 1662484915179
Sponsored