Sponsored

HiRes Audio and Sources

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9, Honda Accord Hybrid
Whilst waiting in the long line for the R1S, I wondered whether any of you who have already taken delivery of either the T or the S could you please answer the following questions about the audio system.

a) Is the existing USB data port capable of being used as an audio input from an external source, such as a flash drive, a dedicated DAP or a smartphone, and thereby playback hi-res files encoded in formats such as FLAC or ALAC?

b) Does Rivian force the owner of the R1 platforms to subscribe to Spotify Premium? If so, what is the price? Is there at least a discount?

c) I understand that CarPlay and Android Auto are not in the offing and understand it. How about music subscription sources other than Spotify, though, such as Tidal, Qobuz, or, for that matter, Apple Music? In your conversations with your guide, is there any mention of stand alone apps other than Spotify?

I ask these questions because I am sure there are many in the Rivian community who already subscribe to these services, have established playlists, and are part of other integrations such as Roon. What is the point of building decent audio hardware if the music sources are restricted to Spotify and TuneIn?

Many thanks for your responses. I am hoping that this thread can serve the audiophiles amongst us.
Sponsored

jjlikejj

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Urus
No external audio capability besides Bluetooth for now.

You don’t need Spotify Premium to use i, as long as your ok with the ads on basic plan. You will need a Spotify account.

In addition to Spotify, there is Tune In at no extra cost. Internet based streaming service for radio, music, podcasts, sportscaster ect. Other music streaming service integrations are under development. I’d imagine Amazon Music should be available fairly soon.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I don't have an R1 yet, but I have read the manual

a)no, but there's no reason they can't add audio over USB at some point. Currently it's either bluetooth, spotify, Tunein, or FM radio.
b)no.
c)no. To me, this becomes moot if they support audio over USB. FWIW I use Tidal.

There have been assorted threads touching on this subject.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Their software lead has said on Rivian that they didn't plan to do audio over USB, but because of people asking they've added it to their roadmap. They're also working on additional services.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Amazon Music is highest rez available currently…but you must ask Alexa to play the song through it…the sidebar music source will show Amazon Music’s icon. I am certain an app will be coming soon.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I hope so along with pandora.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I rarely get "I told you so" moments so I will relish this one. Look at my old posts, this is one of the things I started focusing on really early. I have wanted local USB audio playback from day 1. Given how much time we as modern humans spend in our cars I am surprised this was glossed over as much as it has been.

OP
OP

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you all for your thoughtful and useful remarks. I will now do my part, contact Rivian, and second all your previous requests. The USB solution is critical, and the apps can follow.

OP
OP

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I rarely get "I told you so" moments so I will relish this one. Look at my old posts, this is one of the things I started focusing on really early. I have wanted local USB audio playback from day 1. Given how much time we as modern humans spend in our cars I am surprised this was glossed over as much as it has been.
Sir, Out of curiosity, did you contact Rivian directly about this and leave a complaint? It will be useful to learn before I contact them tomorrow. I wonder about the implementation though. I would imagine that the USB data ought to be fed to the DAC in the onboard infotainment unit for this to happen. Do you know whether their system architecture allows this to happen? Alternatively, BT can work if it has LDAC or something similar built in. Do you know anything about their BT implementation? I am going to be in the LA area over the long weekend and plan to visit their center in Venice. It will be nice to compile a set of questions to ask them when I am there and update you here afterward. If you and indeed others have more questions, do post them here.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
@catman - yes, multiple times. I have brought it to customer service every time I chat to them and I also mention it to my friends at the Venice Hub. If you visit, mention the guy from Colorado who always harps on USB audio and they will know _exactly_ who you are talking about. They usually file some kind of note using the iPads they have on site and about four weeks later I get a boilerplate response from Rivian corporate thanking me for my feedback

Sponsored

OP
OP

catman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@svet-am -- interesting. What puzzles me is the following. The marketing of the R1s is all about adventure. Being outdoors and such.

Surely then, one could well be stuck in a place beyond cell phone reach and therefore, be unable to stream. Also, one might wish to bring one’s own music, downloaded to a flash drive or cell phone.

Under either scenario, why be stuck with low-res sources on an hi-spec sound system?

Something here does not add up. I wonder if it is just a case of priorities, given the bigger issue, of cranking the units out to customers.

Jif1025

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 530e
Occupation
Attorney
Given that the cellular connection in the truck is lte, streaming high res files may not be a realistic option even if they bring tidal to the rivian or Spotify eventually offers a high res option- which makes the decision to not support usb in all the more disappointing.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I believe Rivian will eventually allow for USB audio. It’s strange they didn’t from the start, especially since they appear to have added a decent audio system, but here we are.

The other question if this does ever happen is whether the Meridian amp and speakers are hi res capable? They sound pretty clean and powerful to me but I only got to play with it for a few minutes.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
No external audio capability besides Bluetooth for now.

You don’t need Spotify Premium to use i, as long as your ok with the ads on basic plan. You will need a Spotify account.

In addition to Spotify, there is Tune In at no extra cost. Internet based streaming service for radio, music, podcasts, sportscaster ect. Other music streaming service integrations are under development. I’d imagine Amazon Music should be available fairly soon.
Amazon music currently works, including their hirez tier.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Real question: Do you think you can fully experience hi res audio in the cabin of a truck rolling down the freeway? The R1 is a quiet vehicle (relatively speaking), but there is still road and wind noise.
Sponsored