Hitch Mounted Cargo - Impacts?

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm planning my first family road trip in the R1S and would really love more cargo space. But while planning this trip I am definitely developing some range anxiety and want to limit any hits to efficiency. That has me leaning towards a hitch mounted cargo system instead of a roof mounted system.

If I go with a hitch mounted system like the Yakima Exo ( https://yakima.com/collections/exo ), what other impacts should I be considering? Will Driver+ work with a hitch mounted system? Or will it think I'm towing a trailer? Am I correct in my thinking that a hitch mounted system will be more efficient than a roof mounted cargo box?

I appreciate any feedback or experience you may have.

Thanks,
Ben
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
As long as you don't plug anything into the 7-pin trailer brake connector, it won't affect Driver+. You'll probably get some beeping/warnings from the rear ultrasonics in reverse, but they'll go away once you start driving. It will also probably block your backup camera.

The aero impact will be less than rooftop, but not zero. Note that it will likely block the rear tailgate unless you get a swing hitch.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Last edited:

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

The Yakima Exo System would be a great option for the R1s. Though we haven't

completed any type of range estimate due to all of the variables that could alter your range estimates, but someone earlier in this thread stated that you wont have the same effect as loading a cargo box on the roof, cargo carries in the hitch will have less effect on your range. Attahced are some pictures showing the fit.

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Cargo - Impacts? IMG_1801

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Cargo - Impacts? IMG_1805

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Cargo - Impacts? IMG_1800

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

...Am I correct in my thinking that a hitch mounted system will be more efficient than a roof mounted cargo box?...
You are correct. Any rooftop, no matter how aerodynamically shaped it is, will add drag to the vehicle. The frontal area increases, and your drag coefficient is also increased from base separation from the rooftop storage box. If there is a tear drop shaped storage box, then it probably will be minimal but there won't be sufficient storage space either....

On the R1S, everything aft of the rear, the flow is completely separated. Adding a hitch mounted storage box in the area where the flow is already separated will do little to no further increase in the noticeable total vehicle drag - as long as it does not too long or protrude outside of the rear cross section (sides, top and bottom). Added weight may be more of issue than aero drag this location.

If you think about how the rear window looks in the rain, the water droplets stays on the glass because there is no velocity to move the water. Instead, there are eddies (separated and swirling reversed airflow) that dominate the area; hence, you have to use the wiper to clear the glass.

On the R1T, its bit different as the bed and the tail gate creates a very different flow field.

Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I'm planning my first family road trip in the R1S and would really love more cargo space. But while planning this trip I am definitely developing some range anxiety and want to limit any hits to efficiency. That has me leaning towards a hitch mounted cargo system instead of a roof mounted system.

If I go with a hitch mounted system like the Yakima Exo ( https://yakima.com/collections/exo ), what other impacts should I be considering? Will Driver+ work with a hitch mounted system? Or will it think I'm towing a trailer? Am I correct in my thinking that a hitch mounted system will be more efficient than a roof mounted cargo box?

I appreciate any feedback or experience you may have.

Thanks,
Ben
Try packing first. My family of 6 - me, my wife, and 4 teenagers - did 2800 miles over Christmas. Frunk held 2 large duffels with another in the tire well. I removed the caddy and cover and small stuff like backpacks and such just sat directly on top of the duffel. I could still see out the rear window. We packed light but had significantly more gear room than in our Pacifica Hybrid.

Riv1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Ford Explorer

completed any type of range estimate due to all of the variables that could alter your range estimates, but someone earlier in this thread stated that you wont have the same effect as loading a cargo box on the roof, cargo carries in the hitch will have less effect on your range. Attached are some pictures showing the fit.

IMG_1800.jpg
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Love my EXO but wasn't sure if it was gonna fit without a hitch extender due to the recessed hitch design.

Lionel_Hutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP

completed any type of range estimate due to all of the variables that could alter your range estimates, but someone earlier in this thread stated that you wont have the same effect as loading a cargo box on the roof, cargo carries in the hitch will have less effect on your range. Attahced are some pictures showing the fit.

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg
This is really useful. How much is the license plate obscured with the cargo box on?

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Great question-use the Yakima Exo LitKit. See attached.
Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Cargo - Impacts? Screenshot_20230308_061413_Samsung Internet

This is really useful. How much is the license plate obscured with the cargo box on?
Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Cargo - Impacts? Screenshot_20230308_061227_Samsung Internet

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Love my EXO but wasn't sure if it was gonna fit without a hitch extender due to the recessed hitch design.

Hilbe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MS P100D, Tesla MX 90D Unicorn, Rivian R1S
I been looking at this one: https://a.co/d/c1IJXAD

We have 7 passengers - 5 kids including teenagers and toddlers. Think we’ll need the extra cargo space on longer trips.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thebwk

thebwk

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just got back from our road trip from Wisconsin to Gulf Shores to Tampa and back. The Yakima EXO worked as expected, and we needed every square foot of extra space. Sure, it was just the four of us and our french bulldog, but the full-size spare ate up most of the rear space behind the third row. My son had the third row to himself, and my daughter had 60% of the middle. I put the 40% flat to accommodate a dog bed so Boden could be monitored by the second or third row.

Back to the EXO, no complaints at all. It did block my license plate and I didn’t want to lose Driver+ by plugging in the Yakima light and license kit. So I took my front plate and taped it to the rear-glass (inside). Over the 3300 miles I averaged 2.05 mi/kWh, which is better than I get daily driving. I only wish that Yakima had a spare tire attachment for the EXO kit. That would open up even more interior space!

Rivian R1T R1S Hitch Mounted Cargo - Impacts? IMG_2882

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Just got back from our road trip from Wisconsin to Gulf Shores to Tampa and back. The Yakima EXO worked as expected, and we needed every square foot of extra space. Sure, it was just the four of us and our french bulldog, but the full-size spare ate up most of the rear space behind the third row. My son had the third row to himself, and my daughter had 60% of the middle. I put the 40% flat to accommodate a dog bed so Boden could be monitored by the second or third row.

Back to the EXO, no complaints at all. It did block my license plate and I didn’t want to lose Driver+ by plugging in the Yakima light and license kit. So I took my front plate and taped it to the rear-glass (inside). Over the 3300 miles I averaged 2.05 mi/kWh, which is better than I get daily driving. I only wish that Yakima had a spare tire attachment for the EXO kit. That would open up even more interior space!

IMG_2882.jpg
On my old Yakima Hold Up 2 bike rack, there was a bit of slack that required tightening a threaded bolt through the hitch receiver but the rack would still sway/rotate a bit. Have you noticed any issues with slop between the hitch/receiver/noise over bumps? I love my Kuat bike rack and the way it reduces slop and wish they made a hitch mounted ski carrier.

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
I suggest an extension for more clearance.
Anti rattle and locking pins .

GB

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1800.jpg
I am thinking about getting the Exo system and was wondering if you could help me out with a few questions. First, how much effort is it to put on and take off, including the SwingBase and TopShelf? I don't think I would keep it on there, so I am trying to determine if it takes a lot of effort/time to set up. Second, I am thinking of using the TopShelf with the BackDeck as a kitchen table for camping. Is the height of it on the R1T conducive for that? It appears fairly high when eyeballing your pictures. Third, if the DoubleUp is used on the SwingBase with 2-bikes, is there enough clearance so that the bikes don't hit the tailgate while shaking from driving?

Any other thoughts of the system? Thank you for your help!
Sponsored