How do you handle texts in your R1?

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
iPhones here...My wife very successfully uses Siri to read incoming texts and send replies in our R1S. I just wait until I get to my destination. The iPhone also has something called "Driving Focus" which you can turn on and off (like Airplane Mode) and it alerts the sender of a text that you have notifications disabled so you won't see it right away. If the Samsung has something like that it might be an option for you.

My family long ago learned that if they text me and I don't reply right away then they need to call (even if the text shows as having been read). It works for us.
Agreed. I have my iPhone paired to the truck, and when a message comes in I hear the notification chime from the phone, I say out loud, "Siri, read my incoming text." The text is read by Siri, and I'm asked if I want to respond. I say my response, and Siri sends it. It's all hands-free. I'm not sure how this would be handled with an Android phone.
Sponsored

Kenmecca

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.Directlineanswers.com
Vehicles
R1S; Audi A5
Occupation
Business Owner

Riviaenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster, XC90 R-Design, XC90 T8, R1T Adventure
I know this is an honest question, and I would love a native solution as well. But to be honest, the best way to handle it right now is to simply wait until you park. Simple and safe.
Easier said than done. Having come from CarPlay on our Volvo I disabled Auto Focus on my iPhone but after months of withdrawal Iā€™ve re-enabled it. It still sucks not having CarPlay, not just for messaging but countless other functions including media, scheduling, overland apps, route mapping, following breadcrumbs, EV CHARGING, etc.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Most of the people I communicate with on the regular don't use texts anymore. Too much spam. But I do miss getting my Microsoft Teams notifications on the screen (old truck had AA). šŸ˜

Sponsored

Riptide

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Fire & Rescue
Clubs

I have an iphone and Siri works pretty well. With the phone connected to bluetooth I don't need to hold or speak into the phone directly. Siri does usually need the phone to be unlocked before she'll read me the text, which is kind of annoying, but not the end of the world.
I solved this by changing the ā€œAuto Lockā€ from 30 seconds to 30 min or more. Then most likely the phone remains unlocked most of the time itā€™s in your pocket, but still locks up if left behind someplace.

Last edited:

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I use Appleā€™s Driving Focus all the time - even when not driving. My parents and the wifeā€™s parents are recent adopters of technology and text me constantly. I was in the dog house for a while when they learned I had silenced all notifications from them. šŸ˜³

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20ā€ ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
My safe driving app that gets me a discount on my expensive insurance, dings me for using my phone including texts. It's a powerful incentive to wait until I stop.
Nationwide? What tells you what is being monitoredā€¦ document from the insurer? Just curious as I have Nationwide and interact with my phone periodically to request music, make/take calls, and occasionally send text messages (although not review messages when received like I could easily with CarPlay). Maybe I am getting ā€˜dingedā€™ as well and just donā€™t realize it.

RedRaiderRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Canyon Red
Nationwide? What tells you what is being monitoredā€¦ document from the insurer? Just curious as I have Nationwide and interact with my phone periodically to request music, make/take calls, and occasionally send text messages (although not review messages when received like I could easily with CarPlay). Maybe I am getting ā€˜dingedā€™ as well and just donā€™t realize it.
Allstate drivewise app. Also had the same thing with USAA.

Ohm Boy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Renewable Energy
Clubs

Ditto the other iPhone usersā€™ responses. Love the disclaimer by the way. Bravo on that and the excellent question.

Ohm Boy

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep Addict

Jeep Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I know this is an honest question, and I would love a native solution as well. But to be honest, the best way to handle it right now is to simply wait until you park. Simple and safe.
I don't have a fruity phone, although I am envious some days, most days not. I've been a Samsung Galaxy user since the first Galaxy S. I hadn't thought of see what the Samsung's assistant Bixby is capable of, it's been banished on my phones since it was introduced.

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
If I have waze open, I might swipe to look at the notification and see who texted me, but I basically do nothing more than that, if it's important enough they'll call.

OP
OP
Jeep Addict

Jeep Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Androids (at least our Pixels) have equivalent functionality (both driving/focus modes and a very good talk-to-text function)

1000003416.png
Yeah, my Samsung Galaxy 24 Ultra does not have that screen. Samsung has One UI sitting on top of the stock Android, maybe that's why.

OP
OP
Jeep Addict

Jeep Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I solved this by changing the ā€œAuto Lockā€ from 30 seconds to 30 min or more. Then most likely the phone remains unlocked most of the time itā€™s in your pocket, but still locks up if left behind someplace.
Because I use my phone for business purposes group policy has a relatively short auto lock time out for security.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I have siri read me the text (streaming sirius radio while I drive) and I respond via siri. Hands free and no need to look at phone.
Sponsored