Sponsored

How expensive is your registration?

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
To everyone who thinks it’s just CA and a few other states that are expensive, you’re still less than Virginia. Let me explain, our registration is cheap, less than $200. But, and this is a big one, we have personal property tax. On the Rivian it’s going to be around $2,500/year.

Virginia isn’t alone. Missouri and many other states have low registration fees, but high property taxes.

And if you’re curious tax burden by state, check out this list. CA is barely in the top 10.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494
They'll get you, one way or another.
Death and taxes.

But hey, no smog testing!
Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Just before the purchase, I figured that I would be exempt from the Sound Transit tax in Seattle area. It is approximately 1.1% of the vehicle value.

Pickup trucks over 6000 lbs are exempt. Still have to pay the $225 EV penalty to state.

KvonBCO

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Hyundai Kona EV, Subaru Outback
After 36 years in CA I fled, and best decision since.

Come to TX, where you're not used as an ATM.

Guessing you don't own a home then? Seventh highest property taxes in the country in your state, third lowest in mine. They always get you somewhere.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
After 36 years in CA I fled, and best decision since.

Come to TX, where you're not used as an ATM.

Texas outsourced that privilege to the utility companies.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Guessing you don't own a home then? Seventh highest property taxes in the country in your state, third lowest in mine. They always get you somewhere.
I own one, and pay the property tax on it.

I net more in TX than in CA, and that's with my company's cut in salary ("cost of living adjustment") when I moved.

In CA I was double dipped, Income + Property, on top of the higher taxes that just surround you anyway (like car registration). I also pay $0.13 (total, fees, everything) per kWh; CA was around $0.26 kWh when I left.

TX does have higher property taxes, and no prop 13, but the overall annual taxes we pay as a household are just much less.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

They'll get you, one way or another.
Death and taxes.

But hey, no smog testing!
No, we have that too in Virginia... Well Northern Virginia near Washington DC. Used to be you had to go to a testing center, but now they have computers setup on entrance ramps that test as you go by at least.

I pay:
- state sales tax, town sales tax, and sometimes resort/food tax
- income tax
- town/state property tax on cars and real estate
- county/state property tax on cars and real estate
- registration (I thought it was $85 a car?)
- emissions testing
- state inspection

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I believe in NJ it was like $200, but we don't have the 'based on vehicle costs registration like Cali'. That isn't new it was like that 18 years ago when I lived there, always was expensive.

Deleted member 11292

I own one, and pay the property tax on it.

I net more in TX than in CA, and that's with my company's cut in salary ("cost of living adjustment") when I moved.

In CA I was double dipped, Income + Property, on top of the higher taxes that just surround you anyway (like car registration). I also pay $0.13 (total, fees, everything) per kWh; CA was around $0.26 kWh when I left.

TX does have higher property taxes, and no prop 13, but the overall annual taxes we pay as a household are just much less.
But then you add in your Texas electric bill and all bets are off...

Sponsored

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
$75.

People have to remember. Property tax (for the most part, and sales tax) are the only self inflicted taxes. You don't need a $2M house, expensive clothes, liquor, etc....
In TX, FL, WY you can minimize those taxes. In states like CA, NJ, NY, MN, OR that's not the case and you pay the piper.

Last edited:

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I can't wait to get out of this state. $1172 a year isn't the end of the world, but it sure feels excessive. My 2019 GX460 is under $400... I guess the state would rather I drive my gas guzzling V8 than my R1T. I'll pay this extortive bill and sleep better knowing I only have to pay this one more time, because I'm out of here in under 2 years. What state are you in and how much do you pay to register your Rivian?

IMG_3167.JPG
Weight fee.... nice.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Here is more information for CA it shows the depreciation schedule as well. Essentially when it gets to year 11 the price will stay at that number.

Part of his fee is the weight fee, because it is a PU it is registered as a commercial vehicle, that adds 266 to his renewal. The R1S should not have that on the renewal.
PU?
Sponsored