Sponsored

How Much it Cost to Drive a Rivian 3,000 Miles Compared to a Midsize Gas Pickup Truck Cents Per Mile

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

In California, 6 years. Then add in the oil changes, brake jobs etc, probably more like 5 years. But which Tacoma has the performance of the R1T? How about you go and price that one up then redo the math.
I don't know which Taco COdogman has when he posted but I picked the price based on roughly the TRD Pro. I've owned lots of Toyotas and am familiar with maintenance and repairs on them so that's why I picked that. I've pulled rear brakes off at 50K and they looked like they still had half to go. The engines and transmissions don't require much even in 5-6 years or 100K miles. The tranny is maintenance free until then just like the Rivian for instance. Then, both need oil changes. All the other systems are going to largely be the same. IE they both have brakes, tires (which last more than 20K), electrics, axle fluid, steering, cooling etc. Whether Rivian can match Toyota for longevity remains to be seen. Performance is a relative thing. Nothing is going to match the Rivian for how quick they are. Twice the money but three times as quick. Offroad, the Rivian will be at a disadvantage to a TRD PRO. Between more advanced crawl control software and a locking dif, Toyota has just been in the game much longer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Offroad, the Rivian will be at a disadvantage to a TRD PRO. Between more advanced crawl control software and a locking dif, Toyota has just been in the game much longer.
🤔

Not sure why I even bother but 9" of ground clearance and 265lb-ft of torque and that is what you want offroad because the software is better?? Not sure that logic tracks with me even if I agreed with your argument. I'd take 15" of GC and 900 lb-ft in most situations over a locking dif all day.

SpawnyWhippet

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 McLaren 570S, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
I don't know which Taco COdogman has when he posted but I picked the price based on roughly the TRD Pro. I've owned lots of Toyotas and am familiar with maintenance and repairs on them so that's why I picked that. I've pulled rear brakes off at 50K and they looked like they still had half to go. The engines and transmissions don't require much even in 5-6 years or 100K miles. The tranny is maintenance free until then just like the Rivian for instance. Then, both need oil changes. All the other systems are going to largely be the same. IE they both have brakes, tires (which last more than 20K), electrics, axle fluid, steering, cooling etc. Whether Rivian can match Toyota for longevity remains to be seen. Performance is a relative thing. Nothing is going to match the Rivian for how quick they are. Twice the money but three times as quick. Offroad, the Rivian will be at a disadvantage to a TRD PRO. Between more advanced crawl control software and a locking dif, Toyota has just been in the game much longer.
The front end does most of the braking, its no surprise the rears were OK at 50k, but they should be changed at 30% life remaining, not 0% life remaining.
Offroad, the Rivian annihilates the Tacoma in stock form, been there and done it myself. Infinitely adjustable independent wheel drive and individually adjustable ride height > any form of mechanical differential and coilovers. Try taking your unmodified Taco on the Rubicon and see how it fares. The R1S completed it in stock form.
Here's one pic where we got through a 3' deep crevice without assistance. The modified Jeep behind needed winching out.
Rivian R1T R1S How Much it Cost to Drive a Rivian 3,000 Miles Compared to a Midsize Gas Pickup Truck Cents Per Mile 20220524_203531090_iOS

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

🤔

Not sure why I even bother but 9" of ground clearance and 265lb-ft of torque and that is what you want offroad because the software is better?? Not sure that logic tracks with me even if I agreed with your argument. I'd take 15" of GC and 900 lb-ft in most situations over a locking dif all day.
Except it's not 265ftlb when you figure in 1st gear and a transfer case which is why 40 year old 4cyl Toyotas with a measly 100ftlb are able to show most vehicles the door. I don't like the anemic 4.0 motor in the Taco but the cost comparison was made. Not sure why you guys went off topic as this has nothing to do with cost to get down the road.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Except it's not 265ftlb when you figure in 1st gear and a transfer case which is why 40 year old 4cyl Toyotas with a measly 100ftlb are able to show most vehicles the door. I don't like the anemic 4.0 motor in the Taco but the cost comparison was made. Not sure why you guys went off topic as this has nothing to do with cost to get down the road.
Do you even have a Rivian, preorder or interest or are you just here to troll?

Sponsored

Khoa

First Name
Khoa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
LoL, why you're at it, why not just buy a mountain bike for like 1-2k instead of a Tacoma? Pretty sure you'll save even more with minimal maintenance.

Virtio

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
VP of Engineering
Clubs

I calculated that my R1S costs the same to drive as a car getting 35 MPG when charged at home during off-peak hours. That's for 20" AT tires so 21" AS will do better, probably 38-39 MPG.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
My midsize is a 2013 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, goid running truck with 265,000 uneventful miles. 3000 miles divided by 16.6 miles per gallon times 3.69 dollars per gallon yields 666.87 cost for gas, winter and summer. Actual observed performance.
My R1t running 21s mostly using conserve,low, stiff (which I like), winter and summer, charging at home off peak....odometer shows 2.55 miles per kwh efficiency the way I drive. 3000 divided by 2.55 miles per kw times .08 dollars per kwh equals 94.48 dollars to drive 3000 miles.
That is a savings of 572.39 for that amount of travel. Increased tire wear/replacements at $2,100 after 30,000 miles possibly a wash against ICE truck maintainance. These are my observations.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
All of these comparisons are useless. You cannot compare a Rivian to an ICE midsize truck. Compare it to a TRX if you're talking speed or even a regular half ton truck if you're talking towing. Rivians are much more capable than any midsize truck so comparing the costs against something that isn't even in the same ballpark isn't fair.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

All of these comparisons are useless. You cannot compare a Rivian to an ICE midsize truck. Compare it to a TRX if you're talking speed or even a regular half ton truck if you're talking towing. Rivians are much more capable than any midsize truck so comparing the costs against something that isn't even in the same ballpark isn't fair.
Just like using the gas price for regular unleaded, instead of mid or premium.

Around me, regular is above $4. When I bought my R1T i couldn't even fill my gas tank in one transaction at the pump due to the preauth limits. It was costing $120-150.

Sponsored

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
$.08/kWh at my house, off peak. If I put in 100 kWh, at 2 miles/kWh, I will be able to drive my R1T about 200 miles, or more, for $8.00. Got an ICE p/u? Probably not going to get 20 mpg, but suppose you could. It would consume 10 gallons of gas to cover that distance. Gas is about $4.60/gallon around here, and climbing. That’s $46.00 to cover the same 200 miles. Oh, wait. You don’t get 20 mpg. Ouch! Oh, yeah. Just changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter on my FJ, which happens more than once a year. Cost roughly $100 each time and that’s with me providing all the labor.

Anyway, the insurance will likely be more for the R1T, in the long run. But, the savings in fuel costs and regular maintenance parts (even with me providing the labor) will WAY more than pay for any additional insurance cost. YMMV 😊
State Farm said I got a 30% discount for my Rivian due to safety. It wasn’t much more than my Ford Ranger.

Reactions: VSG

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

In California driving 10,000 miles per year. 16mpg ICE and $5.80/gal costs $3600. 2mi/kw and $.24/kwh home charging makes for $1200. A savings of $2400/yr or $24000 for ten years.

R1T shop access but waiting for my R1S.

Rivian R1T R1S How Much it Cost to Drive a Rivian 3,000 Miles Compared to a Midsize Gas Pickup Truck Cents Per Mile IMG_1680.JPG

Meltdwn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Business Owner
Did anybody actually watch the video? Lots of opinions here but few comments on the video. Basically, he summarized that he spent about half as much as he would of with a mid-sized pickup. No one gives you free gas on a road trip and he got "free" charges at hotels, campgrounds and RAN stops.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

It is odd the whole DC fast charging pricing situation I've had plenty of free ones some that cost $6. Then my last trip I forgot to charge night before no big deal swing into an EA and it was $44.41. For the amount of miles that gets me in an R1T that's actually more money per mile than my old Fusion. Just doesn't help people debating on going electric if the DCFC is already getting kind of pricey.

docwhiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S LR (2022), Land Rover Discovery 2
Occupation
Retired
During the first 4 years of warranty it is not a lot and for luxury cars maintenance is included (for 3-4 years). My previous Honda car cost me about 1000 for maintenance per year including tires.

Said that - convenience of not going to gas stations, and absence of requirement to schedule the service - is a huge plus (more than money IMHO).
I really hated going to the dealer four times a year for "routine maintenance". In addition to the cost, it burns half a day each time.
Sponsored