Sponsored

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hi Superfluid! I have an R1T with the Meridians, live in Austin, and would love it to be your test bed! I'm available pretty much every weekend after mid-morning and can come to you. Just shoot me a message with what would work for you and we'll set it up :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
Hi Superfluid! I have an R1T with the Meridians, live in Austin, and would love it to be your test bed! I'm available pretty much every weekend after mid-morning and can come to you. Just shoot me a message with what would work for you and we'll set it up :)
That’s generous of you! Let me see what weekends are open on my side and I'll DM you.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Thanks a bunch. It's sounds much better! I'm going to do this procedure on my other cars albeit more simplistic. I downloaded a pink noise generator on my phone that I stream over BT and then a sound analyzer app to see the results! Here's what your rivian settings resolve to in this app.
Rivian R1T R1S How to Improve a Rivian R1S’s Elevation Sound System With Simple EQ Changes (Equipment Measured Tests & Results) Screenshot_20240216_124718_Sound Analyzer A

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
Um, mainly just out of curiosity, but what volume do people routinely listen to these settings? The sound is definitely crisper and cleaner to my ear with these changes, but I really need to crank it up like 18-20+ to feel any sort of real Db footprint. It seems like I used to be able to get away with 15 or so. (And I'm not sure this is a result of the different EQ tuning from what I was previously running, OTA updates since I first got it, my own deficient hearing, or the nature of the R1S non-Meridian sound system, or some combo of the above.)

Sponsored

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
Um, mainly just out of curiosity, but what volume do people routinely listen to these settings? The sound is definitely crisper and cleaner to my ear with these changes, but I really need to crank it up like 18-20+ to feel any sort of real Db footprint. It seems like I used to be able to get away with 15 or so. (And I'm not sure this is a result of the different EQ tuning from what I was previously running, OTA updates since I first got it, my own deficient hearing, or the nature of the R1S non-Meridian sound system, or some combo of the above.)
Glad to hear the settings helped.

Do you find you need to crank the volume only when you are driving? If so, that might be caused by noise in the bass region caused by mechanical vibration through the car frame that we compensate for with higher volume. As others have done, I find myself notching EQ up a bit in the bass region than my original recommendation to increase bass impact while driving. I have an idea for how to test this hypothesis but I haven’t gotten around to doing it yet.

bhlackey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, KTM SX-450F
I am in the middle of evaluating measurements taken off of my R1T Meridian (will post soon) and also have noticed that I have it up at higher levels after tuning. When really rocking out I was on 20/21 and now 23/24. I have a theory that this is because our perceived volume level comes more from the highs. The "Rock" preset is kind of a smiley face with bass and highs boosted. When you tune down the highs and bass to levels in this thread, you need ot get the volume up higher for the total volume to "feel" about the same. Working theory at this point.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I too find myself turning the volume up far more with these settings than I had with my settings but with a much better overall experience. I attribute this to having turned down the EQ surround and reducing the boost across most frequencies.

Again, same decibel output but at a higher volume settings with a better overall experience.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Wow! These settings are fantastic in my R1T. I used several tracks to test the difference, but I have never heard the amazing Mike Derosier's background drum solos so clearly on Heart's "Crazy on You" on in an automobile before. I'll be keeping these settings!

bhlackey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, KTM SX-450F
Wow! These settings are fantastic in my R1T. I used several tracks to test the difference, but I have never heard the amazing Mike Derosier's background drum solos so clearly on Heart's "Crazy on You" on in an automobile before. I'll be keeping these settings!
Remember that the settings are vehicle and system specific. The OP was measuring a RIS with Elevation system.

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I understood that from the beginning. It does not make my comments for an R1T with the Meridian sound system any less valid. 😜

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I understood that from the beginning. It does not make my comments for an R1T with the Meridian sound system any less valid. 😜
I will second this. I am eagerly awaiting the testing being done currently with a Meridian R1T, but in the meantime this is still a major improvement for me.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I will second this. I am eagerly awaiting the testing being done currently with a Meridian R1T, but in the meantime this is still a major improvement for me.
Interesting. I have an R1T Meridian and have been using the Linus Labs settings mentioned earlier in this post, while I eagerly await bhlackey's testing and settings. I haven't yet tried superfluid's R1S non-Meridian settings in my truck, but might be worth a try in the meantime.

Superfluid, I think you've been working with bhlackey on his testing, but I also think I saw you might be doing your own testing with someone's R1T Meridian. Is that true?

bhlackey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, KTM SX-450F
R1T Meridian Results with same Microphone, same settings, but far less experience as an operator. @superfluid has the original data files and will take a look when he get's a chance for more insight, but here's what I have...

I'll start with a picture of the Mic placement...

Rivian R1T R1S How to Improve a Rivian R1S’s Elevation Sound System With Simple EQ Changes (Equipment Measured Tests & Results) MIC Placement

Here was my Reference Run below... What is interesting here is that the curve looks pretty good to start out with, none of that odd stuff that was found on the R1S Elevation. It is certainly low end heavy and accounts for some of the "boomy-ness" of the 100-150hz. This was taken at a volume level of 16 (75 DB reading on pink), Flat EQ,

Rivian R1T R1S How to Improve a Rivian R1S’s Elevation Sound System With Simple EQ Changes (Equipment Measured Tests & Results) REFERENCE

After many runs, I came to on this setting...
  • 63: -8 (Note: after listening for my tastes I run -3)
  • 125: -2
  • 250: -2
  • 500: +2
  • 1k: 0
  • 2k: +3
  • 4k: +1
  • 8k: -1
  • 16k: +1
And the curve looks like this.

Rivian R1T R1S How to Improve a Rivian R1S’s Elevation Sound System With Simple EQ Changes (Equipment Measured Tests & Results) TUNED

Observations:
  • For general listening the volume levels needed to come up 1 or two notches.
  • I had previously been using more of the "rock" preset smiley face. I found that it lost out a lot on the instruments and voices. It definitely felt dynamic, but not super clear
  • I really like what happened to the guitar sounds and voices
  • I think the 125 being -2 made the bottom less boomy
  • The 63 at -8 was too low for my tastes. The only change I made to the above is to run the 63 at -3 or 0. This brings in a ver clear kick drum.
  • I am reminded how we want all older music to sound like newer music. But much of the stuff in the 80's and 90's didn't really have the same low end as we are getting now on recordings
  • Many people want their cars to take new and old music and have bass is exaggerated where kick drums we sound like a rock concert. You can do that in this setup, push the 63 to +2.
  • I listen to Metal and Hard Rock. (and the occasional country).

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
R1T Meridian Results with same Microphone, same settings, but far less experience as an operator. @superfluid has the original data files and will take a look when he get's a chance for more insight, but here's what I have...

I'll start with a picture of the Mic placement...

MIC Placement.png

Here was my Reference Run below... What is interesting here is that the curve looks pretty good to start out with, none of that odd stuff that was found on the R1S Elevation. It is certainly low end heavy and accounts for some of the "boomy-ness" of the 100-150hz. This was taken at a volume level of 16 (75 DB reading on pink), Flat EQ,

REFERENCE.png

After many runs, I came to on this setting...
  • 63: -8 (Note: after listening for my tastes I run -3)
  • 125: -2
  • 250: -2
  • 500: +2
  • 1k: 0
  • 2k: +3
  • 4k: +1
  • 8k: -1
  • 16k: +1
And the curve looks like this.

TUNED.png

Observations:
  • For general listening the volume levels needed to come up 1 or two notches.
  • I had previously been using more of the "rock" preset smiley face. I found that it lost out a lot on the instruments and voices. It definitely felt dynamic, but not super clear
  • I really like what happened to the guitar sounds and voices
  • I think the 125 being -2 made the bottom less boomy
  • The 63 at -8 was too low for my tastes. The only change I made to the above is to run the 63 at -3 or 0. This brings in a ver clear kick drum.
  • I am reminded how we want all older music to sound like newer music. But much of the stuff in the 80's and 90's didn't really have the same low end as we are getting now on recordings
  • Many people want their cars to take new and old music and have bass is exaggerated where kick drums we sound like a rock concert. You can do that in this setup, push the 63 to +2.
  • I listen to Metal and Hard Rock. (and the occasional country).
Bhlackey, this is great and thanks so much for doing it. Was wondering if you might be able to post a picture of the settings? That makes ensuring I have the same settings as you much easier.
Sponsored