First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Tried it... before applying the latest update, did not work.

Updated my R1T to the latest SW.

After the latest update... worked for an mp4 movie, did not work for an mp3 audio file renamed as an mp4 file.
Sponsored

DrinkMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Clubs

I don't have a Rivian (yet!) but given that the vehicles already offer hotspot functionality, I'd be less inclined to want the team to expend effort on video streaming on the main screen. In fact, a hotspot option may be even more advantageous given everyone already has their own tablets/phones.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I don't have a Rivian (yet!) but given that the vehicles already offer hotspot functionality, I'd be less inclined to want the team to expend effort on video streaming on the main screen. In fact, a hotspot option may be even more advantageous given everyone already has their own tablets/phones.
If I had the choice to pass time (ostensibly sitting at a DC FC station) watching a movie on the beautiful 15.3" Rivian display or my 3" phone screen... well, I choose the 15.3" screen. And, the sound goes through the powerful multi-speaker Rivian audio system... the clip I put on my flash drive sounded fantastic via the Rivian audio system.

Of course, we can't get full screen movies yet, but maybe someday since they do have a "Movies" folder in the file system.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Most EVs are compared against Tesla unfortunately whether they’ve been around for 2 years or 2 days, you have to be “as good as a Tesla” before you come to market. I think polestar might be the only other EV on the market with video streaming in their OS.
Ford has YouTube and GM has Hulu built into the OS.

Sponsored

DrinkMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Clubs

If I had the choice to pass time (ostensibly sitting at a DC FC station) watching a movie on the beautiful 15.3" Rivian display or my 3" phone screen... well, I choose the 15.3" screen. And, the sound goes through the powerful multi-speaker Rivian audio system... the clip I put on my flash drive sounded fantastic via the Rivian audio system.

Of course, we can't get full screen movies yet, but maybe someday since they do have a "Movies" folder in the file system.
Sure - if I could have it all, I'd of course also want to have video! But if I'm playing a game of "spend Rivian's limited human resource hours" I would prioritize USB audio support, more streaming audio options, and a web browser (which would allow for streaming video and even CarPlay though through an adapter), then video streaming, then video USB.

I recently rewatched a video (linked below) where Wassym declared the barrier to video streaming was implementing support for digital rights management. Hopefully it does come soon...but I'd emphasize other elements first.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

If I really want to watch movies on a screen in a car I’ll buy an iPad. It’s more useful. I really don’t understand the fascination with “There’s a screen, let’s watch TV on it!”

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If I really want to watch movies on a screen in a car I’ll buy an iPad. It’s more useful. I really don’t understand the fascination with “There’s a screen, let’s watch TV on it!”
I just want a web browser so I can shitpost

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
I spend an unbelievable amount of time in parking lots in my it's-not-a-minivan while my kids practice sportball. And I would love to be able to take advantage of that lovely screen and the speakers that surround the space I'm sitting in for a bit of mindless entertainment.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have yet to try out the camp speakers.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird

ThisIsMyHandle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LS FE 22 Dark, Kia EV6 AWD GT-Line
This couldn't be easier!~ I'm surprised I didn't think of it when they added the youtube video!

This is great for now!

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I just don't get the fascination with videos on the main screen. There's a ton of stuff I'd rather see Rivian put in front of that. But, to each his own.
Would be cool for sitting in the car waiting for DC fast charging to finish.

GANTZ

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, Tesla, Lexus
Occupation
Yes
I figured out how to play videos in my R1T almost the same way except I get larger screen area. The hack/trick I used is to simply break out my iPad. Tha-dah movies while in park. :p :p

nemith

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 22 Model Y, 84 Targa, 96 BMW, 01 Boxster
> I really don’t understand the fascination with “There’s a screen, let’s watch TV on it!”

I don't get why people want to play music in their car either. Why the fascination with "There are speakers, lets listen to music". I just use the speakers in my cell phone like you are supposed to.

Same with navigation. Why would i want to rely on a screen BUILT IN TO THE TRUCK to tell me where to go. I use my Garmin.

Rivian R1T R1S How-to: Watch videos on the Center Display Screen (FOR NOW) 1708966323456

Shit posting aside. The auto industry has change and watching streaming services from your car infotainment display in a high-end, tech filled car is not something that is out of left field. If you are ok with your iPad it is fine, but don't knock down those who would like such a feature that other vechicles have.

I will say in my Wife's tesla it is very nice to bring up Disney+ for the kid while charging. Everyone in the car can see the screen and listen to it on the speakers. Harder to do with an iPad + the setup to use the hotspot + bluetooth for audio. The convenience of a couple of buttons is well worth it and within the capabilities of that hardware that already exists in my truck.
Sponsored