Sponsored

HV battery / drive unit replacement experiences?

New R1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
This thread is a little old, but just wanted to document this is still an ongoing issue. I picked up my brand new R1T yesterday and made it four miles down the freeway when I got the battery notice telling me to pull over immediately. 10 seconds later I was stranded on the freeway. The highway patrol had a tow truck move it off the road, then Rivian had an approved tow truck vendor come take it back to the shop. Three plus hours on the side of the road. What kind of $85,000 mistake did I just make?
Sponsored

OP
OP

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
I bailed shortly after they replaced my first truck

BeachTails

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’m curious to hear if anyone has had issues once a drive unit was replaced? Mine had a major meltdown within a month of owning it (not sure if they ever truly figured out or fixed the issue), then it had a meltdown again about a year into ownership (about 7,000 miles in). This time they quickly diagnosed the rear DU and replaced it within a week. So far so good since, but sure makes one a heck of a lot less adventurous!
So, once they do a replacement, have you been ok?

New R1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
Mine broke on 12/27 and I don't have it back yet.

Heimat

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
pipefitter, rental property
I’m curious to hear if anyone has had issues once a drive unit was replaced? Mine had a major meltdown within a month of owning it (not sure if they ever truly figured out or fixed the issue), then it had a meltdown again about a year into ownership (about 7,000 miles in). This time they quickly diagnosed the rear DU and replaced it within a week. So far so good since, but sure makes one a heck of a lot less adventurous!
Had our front drive unit replaced at around 29,500 miles. Took three working days to get it back. Going on 35,000 miles and have no problems. Service center was great.

Sponsored

Frisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Had this problem for over a year and a half. Started at 3,000 miles. After multiple unsuccessful repair attempts at 11,000 miles Rivian replaced the subframe and front drive unit. Drove 2 1/2 hours home same problems returned. Demanded a replacement vehicle. Rivian finally agreed but after several months still waiting for its arrival. My R1T sits useless in the garage.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
My truck has been in the service center for seven weeks now. It went in for a couple of issues and I was surprised when they told me they detected some codes and needed to replace one of the drive units. I never experienced any errors or issues with it.

The service center has been very thorough about fixing it, so I'm actually happy it's being completely worked through and resolved. I have an R1T loaner in the meantime, so it hasn't been a problem for me.

At this point, I think if given the offer to keep my truck or have a completely new one, I'd keep mine even if the drive unit has been replaced, just because I know it's now solid. A new truck is likely to come with some issues that would similarly need to be worked through by a service center.
Lemon it. Over 30 days.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

My rear drive unit was replaced in mid November after hearing clicking sounds. It was at the SC for several weeks, but it took a full two days to replace. This was at around 5k miles. I now have about 6.5k miles on it and it’s been fine since.

BeachTails

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Had this problem for over a year and a half. Started at 3,000 miles. After multiple unsuccessful repair attempts at 11,000 miles Rivian replaced the subframe and front drive unit. Drove 2 1/2 hours home same problems returned. Demanded a replacement vehicle. Rivian finally agreed but after several months still waiting for its arrival. My R1T sits useless in the garage.
Wow, that’s horrible! I’m sorry. Who were/are you dealing with at Rivian to get the replacement approved? SC, guide or someone more senior?

Frisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You can not communicate directly with the “Committee “ which makes these decisions. You must go through your Guide who provides the information to the Committee but has no control whatsoever over anything. Assuming you can get Rivian to actually respond to your request and approve the replacement then the wait begins to get the paperwork completed and receive the new vehicle. I first reached out to Rivian a little over two months ago and am still waiting. Received a “confirmed” delivery date of January 17th. Unfortunately my replacement vehicle missed the train and delivery is pushed back another week. Rivian claims it will take three weeks to ship the vehicle by train from the factory to my service center. What type of train - mule train? During all of this process I had to buy an AWD vehicle to get around in the snow. Hell of a way to run a company which is dependent upon customer relations and goodwill.

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
In for service for stuck tailgate on my R1T LE among other minor things, including a clunking sound slow over bumps. I was just quoted about 2 weeks for a replacement front drive unit, control arms and likely "update" subframe. A week alone to get parts. I'm glad they are being proactive and don't mind the wait...
Sponsored