Sponsored

I thought EV's were supposed to be quite. @RJ ARE YOU HEARING THIS ****??? This car sounds like its gonna hit Mach 9 when you switch on the AC

zigzagzap

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maserati QP, Porsche GTS, BMW X5, R1S
Occupation
Financial
Oh at low speeds the click/ tok noise coming from the wheels is present on my R1S.
Me too. Mine from the passenger rear. I thought this was a me thing went it seemed to go away.
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I agree that Rivian needs to fix these AC compressors, but I truly hate the social media/ forum shouting as a communication method.

You're "quiet" right!

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" - some silly man from a old movie

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Maybe just some bad compressors, but the placement of the compressor is not optimal for noise/vibration. Panamera e-hybrid made a similar noise when the compressor demand was 100%(summer in the south on initial startup). That noise would go away as soon as demand was less than 100% about 1 minute of operation. The whole car would shake it was fixed by adding a weight to the lines near the compressor. My truck isnt that loud but it is noticeably louder than I'd like it to be.

Krusty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ninety Eight 90 Supra 90 Range Rover
Occupation
Business Owner
Doesn’t sound like this will address the compressor noise and vibration that travels to the floor pan and pedal.
It might based on others saying the noise started after a software update. The compressors are muti-stage and depending on the load profile, the software might be running the compressors out of optimal operating parameters. The software probably doesn't have the correct data for the refrigerant pressures causing the vibration. It seems like the compressors work properly during low cooling load conditions and it's when the ambient temperatures get above a certain limit they shift into launch mode.

I totally understand your frustration and hope there is a quick resolution (if software doesn't fix it). The worst thing they could have said is that it's operating "normally". As the saying goes " Don't piss on my shoes and tell me it's raining ".

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

My bet is the air intake box or shroud vibrating when compressor is at 100% load. Mine only make the vibration noise when vehicle is in motion. Compressor is loud but Tesla compressors are loud too on MY ...later on Tesla added foam insulation and possibly some isolators to reduce NVH.

I don't believe this problem is a functional issues. This is an NVH issue as far as I can tell. I agree with poster above the location of the compressor is a contributing factor.

Rivian will address and likely put out a TSB.

Sponsored

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That is what I was just here to ask. Is this just 100% load or is it this loud with minimal load? Mine seems very quiet but feel like at 100% per that I do hear some noise. Still not that loud though but you do have outside the vehicle and fairings off.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@RJ ARE YOU HEARING THIS SHIT???

This is the exact AC noise everyone is talking about at full load. You can see the compressor in action screaming HOLD ON DEAR LIFE - HODL

Is this what you had in mind when you designed the HVAC and hiked up the prices $20,000??

The vibrations in the pedals and floor pan don't really help sell the story that EV's are quieter than ICE.

Unfortunately, I've been reading a lot about loud ACs. As the weather got hotter I suppose more people were using them and this issue surfaced. I fully support your point of bringing this to Rivian's attention. How else will they improve. I hope this is resolved soon. All the best.

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

That's me. It was a little above 70 outside. I have to set the ac to low(all the way down) to get it to spin that fast. Auto on the fan and the fan is not an issue. I have vin 10,xxx. It rarely gets that loud if my temp is set to 68. I also have not parked in full sun very much. I'm sure it will spin up faster when it reaches 100 here and I have it parked in the sun for a while. It made the loud noise when we picked it up at the Dallas location. They said the R1S just does that. It stopped after about a minute when we were there.
I love the vehicle and I am going to wait for Rivian to come up with a fix. Or get a new compressor if this one flies apart.
Are you the Chris S. On YouTube who posted up this video?

So you have this issue even 70 degrees?

Mine starts as soon as I enter the car and switch on AC or when I request to cool down the climate. I believe it’s much louder when I’m in the car versus when it’s in cool down mode.

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

That is what I was just here to ask. Is this just 100% load or is it this loud with minimal load? Mine seems very quiet but feel like at 100% per that I do hear some noise. Still not that loud though but you do have outside the vehicle and fairings off.
I can only remove the noise once I’ve had it on full blast or half blast for like 10 minutes.

Really cool down the cabin, use recirculate and then Slowly drop the intensity one or two until I’m at like power level 2 and then finally it sounds like I’m at cruising altitude instead of hitting Mach 9 to trigger Launch Mode.

I’m reminded of a plane taking off everyone I get into the car and it’s not because of the electric motors, it’s the AC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Congratulations, you manage to turn a legitimate complaint into an unhinged screed. I don't think anyone is faulting you for being upset, but blowing up people on the forum with spammy rants and hyperbole doesn't accomplish anything besides pissing off folks who would otherwise agree with you. It's some real "temper tantrum at the cash register" shit.

1687197157155.png

The word for this is "spam." No, RJ is not hearing this shit, he's not here and typing "@RJ" does not make it so. It just makes life more annoying for the rest of us who are trying to use the forum and now have to scroll past your reply spam in five different threads on three different sub-forums.
LMFAO.

Thanks for giving me a really good chuckle in the morning.

The post that I made in each of those threads is relevant to the topic being discussed and adds value.

Go ahead and make your own forum and then become a moderator and police it how you want.

I’m going to continue to actively participate in this forum and participate in every thread.

After all it’s a free country and I love my freedom of speech.

Sponsored

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Are you the Chris S. On YouTube who posted up this video?

So you have this issue even 70 degrees?

Mine starts as soon as I enter the car and switch on AC or when I request to cool down the climate. I believe it’s much louder when I’m in the car versus when it’s in cool down mode.

Yes I made that video. Mine does not make the loud noise very often and I have been setting the temp to 68 usually. I turned the temp all the way down to intentionally make the compressor spin fast. I originally posted that on a thread DallasBBQ started and his vehicle seems to be loud a lot more often compared to mine, so it varies for different people. I also have not left the vehicle in the sun when it was hot for a very long time. Pretty sure the hotter it is, the faster the compressor spins. Mine might do it for a short time when getting in. Hopefully the software update changes it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
LMFAO.

Thanks for giving me a really good chuckle in the morning.

The post that I made in each of those threads is relevant to the topic being discussed and adds value.

Go ahead and make your own forum and then become a moderator and police it how you want.

I’m going to continue to actively participate in this forum and participate in every thread.

After all it’s a free country and I love my freedom of speech.
This forum is not a publicly owned space - it’s privately created and owned by someone who can enforce whatever rules they choose. The first amendment does not apply in this situation :giggle: So the same could be suggested to you - go start your own forum where you can make your own rules and scream into the internet as often and as loudly as you want.

You have replied to almost every post in this thread except the ones suggesting you do things other than shouting into space, so it appears as if you simply prefer that approach.

If you want to get Rivian’s attention, give them data that proves your point. Start a poll and a spreadsheet asking how many are experiencing this, when it started, how often it does it, and what VIN # they have. Early T owners made it through last summer without any reports like this, so it has to be a more recent problem.

OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

My bet is the air intake box or shroud vibrating when compressor is at 100% load. Mine only make the vibration noise when vehicle is in motion. Compressor is loud but Tesla compressors are loud too on MY ...later on Tesla added foam insulation and possibly some isolators to reduce NVH.

I don't believe this problem is a functional issues. This is an NVH issue as far as I can tell. I agree with poster above the location of the compressor is a contributing factor.

Rivian will address and likely put out a TSB.
It sounds like the need better mounting with rubber noise isolation and and acoustic cover like Tesla.

Yes I made that video. Mine does not make the loud noise very often and I have been setting the temp to 68 usually. I turned the temp all the way down to intentionally make the compressor spin fast. I originally posted that on a thread DallasBBQ started and his vehicle seems to be loud a lot more often compared to mine, so it varies for different people. I also have not left the vehicle in the sun when it was hot for a very long time. Pretty sure the hotter it is, the faster the compressor spins. Mine might do it for a short time when getting in. Hopefully the software update changes it.

thanks for posting. You’re 100% right in thinking the hotter it is the longer the noise continues for and louder like it ramped up a level. Like a dual stage.

its really bad and last a long time If you park it outside and temps are 85-95. Even worse is if you make a bunch of small trips and it’s doesn’t have 15 minutes it needs to cool down the cabin so you can lower the intensity and then lower the noise / vibrations / hum. That's when it lasts the entire 15 min trip and then if you make bunch of back to back 15 min small trips while have the car parked outside, it can become mind numbing to deal with the noise and vibrations every time you get in the car to go somewhere.

it straight up feels like having a motor but worse. You get the numb feeling with the pedal.

THANK THE LORD AND RJ for my yellow Rivian all weather mats that help dampen the vibrations in the floor pan. I don’t even want to test it with the stock skinny tissue paper mats that came with the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

If you want to get Rivian’s attention, give them data that proves your point. Start a poll and a spreadsheet asking how many are experiencing this, when it started, how often it does it, and what VIN # they have. Early T owners made it through last summer without any reports like this, so it has to be a more recent problem.
I don’t work for Rivian and I don’t have time to be their QC analyst, engineer, designer or Guinea pig.

They can spend some of the $11,000,000,000 they have in the bank to source the data you mentioned above.

I have a ticket already open within my 7 days. If they can fix it in 7 days, great. If they can’t, time to use the return policy.

It’s simple. No hard feelings. It’s just a business transaction and it’s just a car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MidnightRivian

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Maybe just some bad compressors, but the placement of the compressor is not optimal for noise/vibration. Panamera e-hybrid made a similar noise when the compressor demand was 100%(summer in the south on initial startup). That noise would go away as soon as demand was less than 100% about 1 minute of operation. The whole car would shake it was fixed by adding a weight to the lines near the compressor. My truck isnt that loud but it is noticeably louder than I'd like it to be.
I would hope the software is bad or its a bad batch of compressors causing this. The fix they would need to cover up the noise / vibration would be a better mounting position somewhere else, noise insulation or dampening cover over the compressor like Tesla and better mounting with some sort of rubber isolation pads.

Rivian R1T R1S I thought EV's were supposed to be quite. @RJ ARE YOU HEARING THIS ****??? This car sounds like its gonna hit Mach 9 when you switch on the AC s-l1600 (1)
Rivian R1T R1S I thought EV's were supposed to be quite. @RJ ARE YOU HEARING THIS ****??? This car sounds like its gonna hit Mach 9 when you switch on the AC s-l1600 (2)
Rivian R1T R1S I thought EV's were supposed to be quite. @RJ ARE YOU HEARING THIS ****??? This car sounds like its gonna hit Mach 9 when you switch on the AC s-l1600
Sponsored