Sponsored

Info on why max pack preorder holders "whine"

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I ordered my MAX pack R1T Jan 26th (before the price increase) and I currently have a delivery date set as freaking 2024..... That's just LAME A.F. I feel like Rivian is pushing these back farther and farther to hope people just cancel their orders altogether. So we can change the pack size without losing our spot? I never inquired about it.
Yep you can switch to the large pack and get it before the max pack. Just chill out.
Sponsored

Kaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Yep you can switch to the large pack and get it before the max pack. Just chill out.
You must have mistook my post if you think I'm not chill. Don't expect people to be Mary Poppins about it if they have to wait for 2-3yrs to get a vehicle they've ordered; Especially when we were initially told the MAX packs were going to be the first to be manufactured. Till recently I was being told sometime mid to late 2023 delivery, only to see 2024 posted on the website and now being told sometime (most likely mid to late 2024) via chat. Again, I feel like the lower initial pricing is so low, they're going to make radical changes to push back deliveries of these orders, or cancel that model altogether.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I ordered my MAX pack R1T Jan 26th (before the price increase) and I currently have a delivery date set as freaking 2024..... That's just LAME A.F. I feel like Rivian is pushing these back farther and farther to hope people just cancel their orders altogether. So we can change the pack size without losing our spot? I never inquired about it.
Kaz…I’m with you man…I really had my heart set on the Max Pack but decided I didn’t want to miss the tax incentives on the books now and was concerned about what other changes could happen to the R1T and or me between now and s00n (none of us are getting any younger).

I changed my config and got a truck at the end of September and it is AWESOME! So glad I switched! If the Max Pack comes out and I love it, I’ll consider swapping at that time…by then, I suspect there will be many options to choose from Rivian and others and (hopefully) I will have bought my current truck well enough to be able to shop again.

Life is short…if you want to enjoy an R1T and have been blessed to afford it, get today’s offering and have a blast while waiting for the other improvements. There’s always going to be something bigger, faster, cooler, better on the horizon that you’ll want and you can work to get that then…with a pre-order, you’re in a great position to have your cake and be eating it while the next cake is still in the oven. :D

Just my $.02 and it works for me…you gotta do you though. I’ll be that guy in the Compass Yellow R1T with a huge smile on my face!!! Best of luck sir!

Kaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Durango R/T AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Nice reply there @Ravenron . I agree with you. By the time My order comes in I'll likely have my Hummer EV and Blazer SS already. I would have liked to have gotten my R1T late this year or early next year. But with so many new EV's coming out, the R1T will have much more competition. I don't mind waiting a little bit of time, but having delivery dates constantly pushed back is just sorta getting old. I mainly want the Max Pack to maximize high amp charging when traveling. We all know the top 20% always takes longer. With a larger pack you're able to fast charge more total amps before tapering down to much slower speeds. Not to mention, the larger the pack, the less stress the pack goes through overall. All in all, I'm even wondering if I'll ever take delivery of a R1T at this rate, and at the time of ordering I would have been near the front of the line if it wasn't for the Max Pack debacle. 1st world problems, LOL. I still feel they're going to squeeze out the low-priced pre-order max packs in some form or fashion.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Nice reply there @Ravenron . I agree with you. By the time My order comes in I'll likely have my Hummer EV and Blazer SS already. I would have liked to have gotten my R1T late this year or early next year. But with so many new EV's coming out, the R1T will have much more competition. I don't mind waiting a little bit of time, but having delivery dates constantly pushed back is just sorta getting old. I mainly want the Max Pack to maximize high amp charging when traveling. We all know the top 20% always takes longer. With a larger pack you're able to fast charge more total amps before tapering down to much slower speeds. Not to mention, the larger the pack, the less stress the pack goes through overall. All in all, I'm even wondering if I'll ever take delivery of a R1T at this rate, and at the time of ordering I would have been near the front of the line if it wasn't for the Max Pack debacle. 1st world problems, LOL. I still feel they're going to squeeze out the low-priced pre-order max packs in some form or fashion.
Then just swap to current truck and get it MUCH sooner…you’ll likely be sometime between now and early next summer. Get it while the getting’s good! Heck, by the time the Max Pack arrives who knows what other options will be available…

Take care!

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Anyone else with a max pack preorder encouraged by Rivian to do their first mile drive? I've been eligible for a first mile drive for a few months, but Rivian recently emailed and called to encourage me to take the demo ride. I'm not sure why Rivian is making that effort.

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Anyone else with a max pack preorder encouraged by Rivian to do their first mile drive? I've been eligible for a first mile drive for a few months, but Rivian recently emailed and called to encourage me to take the demo ride. I'm not sure why Rivian is making that effort.
The conspiracy theorist in me thinks its because they're trying to convert as many max pack orders as they can to large because of some yet unannounced change with max pack deliveries. But the more likely scenario, based on pre and post delivery communication with Rivian is that one hand has no idea what the other is doing and you must be popping up on someone's screen noting you were interested in a First Mile. I was denied access to a First Mile because apparently being 45 minutes away from its location made me ineligible (still shake my head at that, it's closer than the service center) but about 2 weeks later I scheduled a delivery.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I got the email, but I already had a First Mile back in April. When I clicked on the link it didn't show any scheduling options, so it appears something on their backend isn't connected properly. Then I kept getting emails reminding me to signup. I would assume they made this push to keep people engaged after finding out they'd be delayed at least another year plus. As above mentioned, it could also be to try and convert some folks to a large pack, but I'd bank on overall engagement with delayed preorder holders more.

Feetdry

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ridgeline, Hydro 84
Occupation
medical sales
Now that my Rivian charger is installed and, on the internet, I find that it is patiently waiting for the max pack.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Last night, my wife and I were headed to a friends house to help shovel gravel (I know, good friends;) ) anyway, pass an R1S on Pacific st in Vancouver... I immediately catch the headlights in my peripheral and comment to my wife. She laughs and says "So are you sure you can wait for the Max Pack? It's gonna kill you inside every time you see one between now and then!"

Stupid wife .... How dare she twist the knife of endless delays! I will confirm it was a good deal easier to hold out while there were still no deliveries in Canada. But now that they're happening, and more Rivians are around me, saw a T two days prior crossing Burrard, It does kill me inside.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Last night, my wife and I were headed to a friends house to help shovel gravel (I know, good friends;) ) anyway, pass an R1S on Pacific st in Vancouver... I immediately catch the headlights in my peripheral and comment to my wife. She laughs and says "So are you sure you can wait for the Max Pack? It's gonna kill you inside every time you see one between now and then!"

Stupid wife .... How dare she twist the knife of endless delays! I will confirm it was a good deal easier to hold out while there were still no deliveries in Canada. But now that they're happening, and more Rivians are around me, saw a T two days prior crossing Burrard, It does kill me inside.
Well at some point you may have to have a serious conversation with you and come to a compromise unless you specifically need the max pack. I hate to even write it... but there's nothing preventing Rivian from kicking the quad motor max pack deliveries down the road again once 2024 arrives. Our government does that all the time as SOP, no reason Rivian can't do it as well. By the time mid 2024 arrives, the attrition rate for quad/max pack may be so great they may just declare it "canceled due to lack of demand".

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm glad I didn't wait, but I have pricing advantage on a second order still... And I could tolerate the truck being in service for over a month. I'm really hoping for some major architecture updates for the Max Pack as being the primary delay. 800V charging would make road tripping a lot nicer, there's a big advantage at the 62.5/125 split charge point chargers. Should be able to get 120kW+ vs the mid 80s on those currently.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Well at some point you may have to have a serious conversation with you and come to a compromise unless you specifically need the max pack. I hate to even write it... but there's nothing preventing Rivian from kicking the quad motor max pack deliveries down the road again once 2024 arrives. Our government does that all the time as SOP, no reason Rivian can't do it as well. By the time mid 2024 arrives, the attrition rate for quad/max pack may be so great they may just declare it "canceled due to lack of demand".
Very true points, but they also have to compete with other offerings to stay relevant. If you have competition offering 400 mile variants and you're only pushing 300 you start to look amateurish.

The attrition has made loads of order holders change their mind for sure, but once Rivian does release the Max pack, I think you'll see most going Max Enduro over Max Quad.

#MaxQuadAllTheWayBaby!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm glad I didn't wait, but I have pricing advantage on a second order still... And I could tolerate the truck being in service for over a month. I'm really hoping for some major architecture updates for the Max Pack as being the primary delay. 800V charging would make road tripping a lot nicer, there's a big advantage at the 62.5/125 split charge point chargers. Should be able to get 120kW+ vs the mid 80s on those currently.
I'm hopeful the delay is more of an architecture related one over a battery form factor issue. I'd love to infer what is going on at Rivian HQ, but i'd rather just keep my expectations grounded.

But, I can't help myself so...
I do think that the Enduro dual motor setup will be an 800V one because otherwise, what's the point of developing it? And the enduro motor will eventually make its way into the quad motor variant bringing with it the 800V arch.

;)
Sponsored